Was i the only one that stopped watching Family Matters once it turned into the Steve Urkel show?

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
I really hate thecoli revisionist history trying to remove this show from classic status.
Urkel is a classic character for sure
And by default Family Matters gets the classic stamp because of Urkel and nostalgia

But when you line it up with the other classics of its time (Martin, Fresh Prince, Living Single, Wayans Bros, Moesha etc.) it doesn't belong in the same class and it's not even close.
Family Matters was an average to below average show that just had an iconic character.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
Family Matters aged HORRIBLY
Thread 'i feel like my childhood was trolled by whoever created family matters' https://www.thecoli.com/threads/i-f...lled-by-whoever-created-family-matters.22205/
So I been binge watching that docu series Dark Side Of Comedy and I'm on the family matters episode.. in the interviews with certain cast members and producers they talked about how preposterous the writing was getting going into the latter seasons. With it all recolving around some over the top ridiculous shyt with Steve at the center...

That shyt went on for like 9 seasons :wtf:

Got a better understanding of why Jamie foxxworth kinda lost her shyt growing up seeing how they fired her..

Dark side of comedy is a very compelling docu series :ehh:

I didn't know

Side note:
The phil Hartman episode :snoop:

That mf wife wanted to be famous so bad. During the intro on SNL when it shows Phil, it's her sitting across from him (because she begged them for that hoping it would put her on) and the reason her big ass earring is swinging so hard in the 2 second clip is because the bytch kept trying to turn around and face the camera when it was supposed to just be introducing HIM :snoop:.. they had to trick her to get her to turn her big ass head around to get a quick shot without her face in it, which is why her earing swinging like that... very haunting

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
Bruh, Jaleel saved the perfect strangers spinoff from being canceled after 2 seasons.

None of them would be remembered if it wasn't for him. Plus he was trying to put them on and think outside the box.

The nıgga got all the members of new edition together on the show. You know how hard that is?

Even though he became a main character, they still have spotlight to the surrounding cast and made Carl Winslow very entertaining. Even gangsta Urkel placed spotlight on Orlando Brown. Richie was being given mad love. Eddie before the trannies was a ladies man. Laura before menopause was attractive. Na.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Anyone that does not like Urkel is a psychopath.

Mr Bubbles

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I heard that they had to pay him more since he was the show and she was a casualty as a result.
Don't let revisionist history fool you. The show never cared about Judy. She had 0 A plots and only like 2 or 3 total plots at all. When she was jealous of Richie, when she refused to read a book for a report and when she ruined Harriet's dress. She added nothing to the show that Laura and Richie already didn't cover. The perfect end to the show was season 7, Steve and Stefan became separate people giving Laura and Myra their boyfriends. No more love square. Everybody is happy. End with Urkel moving out of the Winslow house and into Myra's apartment while Laura moves to Paris with Stefan. Have Richie move in with his mom back in Detroit while Harriet and Carl relax, finally having an empty nest. Or, if you want to keep a wacky ending, have Steve and Myra move back into his house next door so they can continue to bug Carl.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Don't let revisionist history fool you. The show never cared about Judy. She had 0 A plots and only like 2 or 3 total plots at all. When she was jealous of Richie, when she refused to read a book for a report and when she ruined Harriet's dress. She added nothing to the show that Laura and Richie already didn't cover. The perfect end to the show was season 7, Steve and Stefan became separate people giving Laura and Myra their boyfriends. No more love square. Everybody is happy. End with Urkel moving out of the Winslow house and into Myra's apartment while Laura moves to Paris with Stefan. Have Richie move in with his mom back in Detroit while Harriet and Carl relax, finally having an empty nest. Or, if you want to keep a wacky ending, have Steve and Myra move back into his house next door so they can continue to bug Carl.
Thats why they dumped her ass...she was expendable. Urkel pretty much took all the oxygen from all of the side characters. And they all ended up leaving.

No show that is still profitable is gonna end unless the star leaves. Big Bang would still be on if Parsons was down. Cosby coulda went 10/11 years if Bill wanted to. Seinfeld walked away from 100Ms.

That square wasnt done. Urkel never stopped loving Laura. He was biding his time with Myra...he wasn't done.

Mr Bubbles

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Thats why they dumped her ass...she was expendable. Urkel pretty much took all the oxygen from all of the side characters. And they all ended up leaving.

No show that is still profitable is gonna end unless the star leaves. Big Bang would still be on if Parsons was down. Cosby coulda went 10/11 years if Bill wanted to. Seinfeld walked away from 100Ms.

That square wasnt done. Urkel never stopped loving Laura. He was biding his time with Myra...he wasn't done.
Urkel didn't just love Laura. He loved the idea of Laura and the Winslows. Laura wasn't even the same character by the end of the show. She was basically an ideal version of Steve at the beginning. Incredibly smart but very popular and pretty, has a loving family that always does things together, friends who she spends time with. She was incredibly focused and always pushed for things she wanted whether it was class president, a black history class, a car, babysitting etc. Steve wanted that life. Even as far back as season 2 iirc he told Carl he was his ideal father. Steve wanted that family. Laura was no longer who she was by the end of the show. She wasn't academically focused anymore, ending up in community college. She was reduced to nothing but a love interest for Stefan and Curtis and then eventually Steve. There was no reason for Steve to carry his crush for Laura outside of the writers wanting him to get a happy ending. The show was sending all the wrong messages about him changing to her ideal man to be with her when the message should be that it's okay to be yourself and surround yourself with people that appreciate you. Family Matters rejected common sense for a forced happy ending. Lets not forget how much cheating Steve and Laura did towards the end of the show and never got called out on it. Laura and Stefan were engaged and she was still all over other men.

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
So I been binge watching that docu series Dark Side Of Comedy and I'm on the family matters episode.. in the interviews with certain cast members and producers they talked about how preposterous the writing was getting going into the latter seasons. With it all recolving around some over the top ridiculous shyt with Steve at the center...

That shyt went on for like 9 seasons :wtf:

Got a better understanding of why Jamie foxxworth kinda lost her shyt growing up seeing how they fired her..

Dark side of comedy is a very compelling docu series :ehh:

I didn't know

Side note:
The phil Hartman episode :snoop:

That mf wife wanted to be famous so bad. During the intro on SNL when it shows Phil, it's her sitting across from him (because she begged them for that hoping it would put her on) and the reason her big ass earring is swinging so hard in the 2 second clip is because the bytch kept trying to turn around and face the camera when it was supposed to just be introducing HIM :snoop:.. they had to trick her to get her to turn her big ass head around to get a quick shot without her face in it, which is why her earing swinging like that... very haunting

What the doc is on breh??

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
Darius said something interesting on there. That it's fukked up the show doesn't get any credit for being one of the longest running black sitcoms and how it was "too white" to get any black awards and "too black" to get any white awards (emmys and shyt)

I mean he's right, but it's literally the same staff of people behind it that made Full House.

Family Matters got burn cuz it came on Friday nights and there wasn't a better show in its time slot to compete. Plus it's FRIDAY, I will watch some bullshyt cuz I could stay up late.

Mʀ2ᴋDᴇᴇᴢ

Licensed New Age Healer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
Yeah Urkel was the best and worst thing to happen to that show. He saved it but it went on a sloooow titanic like crash. I can’t even watch when they were kids anymore and I tend to watch more of the episodes with Myra the most.. she was so bad man, R.I.P. the Myrtle Urkel shyt was so stupid and unnecessary. You got Steve lusting over Laura, then you have his cousin lusting over Laura’s brother :scust: a lot of this stuff was fine watching as a kid but getting older and understanding things really brings how bad this show was in perspective.

The Greta vs. Myrtle shyt was ok for one episode but they dragged it trying to make it an ongoing thing.

Maxine changing from what she was to what she became while dating Waldo.. terrible.

Changing to light skinned Harriet and having the episode where Carl was like he bought the wedding ring for another woman before Harriet. Man darkskinned Harriet wouldn’t let that shyt make the show! I just know she wouldn’t! shyt was crazy!

The “transformation chamber” where you could easily see the clothes hanging up on hangers when they opened the door:snoop:

Turning every cast member into Urkel for whatever reason at some point.

My favorite one… Steve turning down a girl who would get smashed by whoever she wanted to get it because he wanted Laura. Myra was trying to give it to him all series and he kept saying no. Craziness lol.

That show ain’t in my top 5 probably not even 15.
Goddamn, but you right lol

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They took Little Richie? I don’t remember that. I remember they added this other kid and he was Richie’s bro but that’s it
Nah it was 3j a street tough kid with a heart of gold , we recently restreamed the show and looking at it as and adult - 1) I can tell when I got to a older age because i remember those episodes more
2) urkel ( outside of breaking every thing ) became like a saint lol the winslows used him then next episode they’d forget and be like f u Steve
Which one?

Dark side is on Hulu I believe. Urkel :mjlol: is on Max and I think Hulu too.
lol we saw family matters . I want a continuation of the show , one thing I think is Jahlil had it tough. The seasoned actors were mad as if he wrote the show and forced himself into the spotlight and he was a kid starting out . It seemed like they were alittle too resentful