Was Demolition Man ahead of its time? Felt like a Marvel film.

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
There were several movies that came out in 93 that were "ahead of their time". Demolition Man but also Last Action Hero. The latter flopped of course partly due to releasing it after a little movie called Jurassic Park, which was way ahead. Crazy to think it came out in the early 90s but looks better than most of todays movies. Same with T2 back in 91.
I remember loving to watch Last Action Hero...never knew why it was shytted on so heavy by the critics. It was a parody and any corny or "cheesy-ness" was mostly on purpose. Even as a 15 yr old I got that.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
I remember loving to watch Last Action Hero...never knew why it was shytted on so heavy by the critics. It was a parody and any corny or "cheesy-ness" was mostly on purpose. Even as a 15 yr old I got that.
They fukked the movie up. And released it ONE week after Jurassic Park. It would have performed better if they marketed it correctly and didn't move the date of release up. Its a fun movie but I always lost interest once they went back to the real world aside from a couple scenes.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
They fukked the movie up. And released it ONE week after Jurassic Park. It would have performed better if they marketed it correctly and didn't move the date of release up. Its a fun movie but I always lost interest once they went back to the real world aside from a couple scenes.
This is revisionist history though, Before Jurassic Park came out, all dinosaur movies had a reputation of b movie fodder that used stop motion. it was a dead genre.
I doubt anyone expected Arnold (the biggest star in hollywood at the time) would have hard time competing with what they expected would simply be a modern version of this movie.
J4OC.gif

Unfornately for them it turned out to be the greatest dinosaur movie of all time, nothing like any previous dinosaur film.

taker597

Superstar
Daps
This is revisionist history though, Before Jurassic Park came out, all dinosaur movies had a reputation of b movie fodder that used stop motion. it was a dead genre.
I doubt anyone expected Arnold (the biggest star in hollywood at the time) would have hard time competing with what they expected would simply be a modern version of this movie.
J4OC.gif

Unfornately for them it turned out to be the greatest dinosaur movie of all time, nothing like any previous dinosaur film.
Dinosaur movie didn't have Stephen Spielberg in his prime with stupid real looking dinosaurs.

Any other production company was stupid to play chicken with Jurassic Park.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Dinosaur movie didn't have Stephen Spielberg in his prime with stupid real looking dinosaurs.

Any other production company was stupid to play chicken with Jurassic Park.
they weren't stupid, they just couldn't see the future. Jurassic park was not some established IP everybody knew would later become a franchise Nobody was a expecting a dinosaur movie( a type of film that was popular in the 60s but faded from popularity), with a bunch of no name actors (even one directed by Spielberg) to outperform Arnold who had been knocking it out the park with his last 5 or 6 films in a row.

that would be like me getting Scorsese to direct a remake the good the bad and the ugly, releasing it the same day as Avengers in 2012 and calling marvel stupid for not pushing back their release. it's revisionist history. Everybody expected Arnolds movie to dominate the box office.

taker597

Superstar
Daps
they weren't stupid, they just couldn't see the future. Jurassic park was not some established IP everybody knew would later become a franchise Nobody was a expecting a dinosaur movie( a type of film that was popular in the 60s but faded from popularity), with a bunch of no name actors (even one directed by Spielberg) to outperform Arnold who had been knocking it out the park with his last 5 or 6 films in a row.

that would be like me getting Scorsese to direct a remake the good the bad and the ugly, releasing it the same day as Avengers in 2012 and calling marvel stupid for not pushing back their release. it's revisionist history. Everybody expected Arnolds movie to dominate the box office.

They was stupid.

FlyGuy

pimp of the year
Daps
Reppin
tropicana

They was stupid.

If I saw this during the previews back in the day it would be a first-day watch over Last Action Hero

Last Action Hero doesn’t have a thrill like this. That growl at the end would have had the money running out of my wallet for a ticket

It’s fukking Spielberg

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
If I saw this during the previews back in the day it would be a first-day watch over Last Action Hero

Last Action Hero doesn’t have a thrill like this. That growl at the end would have had the money running out of my wallet for a ticket

It’s fukking Spielberg
yeah, except this is clearly a rerelease trailer that came out long after the fact likely within the last ten years or so. It's obvoius by the lack of 90s narration. and the fact the it looks like it's in 1080p :pachaha:

This is the original trailer and all you new about the movie going in.

FlyGuy

pimp of the year
Daps
Reppin
tropicana
yeah, except this is clearly a rerelease trailer that came out long after the fact likely within the last ten years or so. It's obvoius by the lack of 90s narration. and the fact the it looks like it's in 1080p :pachaha:

This is the original trailer and all you new about the movie going in.

Rep for the history lesson

Still looks good but not first day watch

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
J4OC.gif

:dahell: How old were you in 93?

JP was expected to be one of the biggest movies ever. The hype was huge. Spielberg on the case. Wtf u smoking on.