Warcraft the Movie: r u still down w/ Azeroth?

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Why is the only film people bring up ad costs? Even in the DC/Marvel threads I don't see this. We have no idea how much companies spend on ads. For Suicide Squad I've seen numbers from 100 millz to 500 millz in ad cost, that's a fukking wide gap. When most people say "I think X is going to make 700 millz" they can only use the production budget to measure the success because they haven't gotta clue about ads. Kevin Smith is the only director I've heard going into detail about this and he said the generally rule was if you have 100 millz for a production budget they spend about 50 millz on ads. Other places say it's double the production budget.

So that leaves us

:sean_:
I’m just telling you that’s what was reported :yeshrug:

Just google Warcraft lost money

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Your projection of it losing 50 millz makes you as close with your projection as @TheGodling with his

:winnie:
It made 47 mil Domestic. I never said anything about 50.

It still lost money. China loves our trash and made an unprecedented 89% of its $$$ there

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
This might be the worst movie in the past 5 years.

Terminator Genysis of whatever the fukk. That is probably the worst actually.

Tarzan and Warcraft.

All dog shyt.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Really, this movie was about Azeroth before World of Warcraft, so even most WoW players probably didn’t know the story. I’m an oldhead and I played the original Warcraft games, so I enjoyed seeing this on film. I think a lot of WoW fanboys were expecting a a WoW feel not the OG feel, so they trashed it.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Your annual reminder that @TheGodling predicted this would make $1 billion :laff:
:russell:

Again, you are comparing my prediction of a franchise's potential a year before any footage dropped to you claiming it wouldn't touch 200 million worldwide 2 weeks before it dropped. And even then I ended up being closer because I said this could still touch 500 million while you "mocked" me.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Really, this movie was about Azeroth before World of Warcraft, so even most WoW players probably didn’t know the story. I’m an oldhead and I played the original Warcraft games, so I enjoyed seeing this on film. I think a lot of WoW fanboys were expecting a a WoW feel not the OG feel, so they trashed it.

I think your explanation explains the dislike for this movie.
So a bunch of reviewers who are bandwagon wow players and do not know the og lore. crapped on the film in mass abundance to squelch out any other fan dialogue.

Imo, this and John carter get a bad rap as far as rating within their respective genre.

Art Barr

Last edited:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Watched this today. Not a WoW fan, but playing Skyrim and watching GOT had me interested in watching this. It’s a fun movie. Ending was wack since it left me :dwillhuh:

Was it to set-up a sequel? Or the game?

MegaManX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Watched this today. Not a WoW fan, but playing Skyrim and watching GOT had me interested in watching this. It’s a fun movie. Ending was wack since it left me :dwillhuh:

warcraft is a pretty tragic story. Basically, saving the orcs stopped the end of the world but started a 1000 year war.

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
Just watched this. This shyt is not very good at all. They did a terrible job of blending the CGI with the actors. None of the orcs looked life like at all.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka

I think i posted this before, but it's based on the original Warcraft story from the pre-WoW games. Like a prequel for people who never played them.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area

I believe it was set up to be a 3 part sequel to basically either go the route of the movie you saw (pre WoW) to WoW in its early stages (Thrall is the leader of the horde) to what most people use as the end of the original Warcraft arc (The Lich King)

WoW is still an on going story, 2 decades later, but the base story is surrounded by a few characters, at this point they are just dragging along DLC/Expansions however you wish to say it to basically 1 big villain an expansion

Warcraft 3 basically noted all the major plot lines and endings to come which is why most people would probably look at The Lich King/Arthas/Illidan arc as the true ending

thought the movie was decent. Came out way too late past WoW prime for that crowd to care about it though