WaPo Columnist Jamal Khashoggi killed by Saudis in Turkey; Senators Mull Magnitsky Sanctions

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
Yeah, Trump and co won't be doing anything. At the bare minimum they're too inept or flat out don't care and at worst possibly corrupt, there are lots of money links there as well unfortunately between both parties.

People have been questioning our relationship with the Saudis for decades now. Initially it could just be explained away as typical geopolitical business dealings with some corrupt Arabs but being implicated in the murder of a foreign journalist? At the consulate at that?

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
People have been questioning our relationship with the Saudis for decades now. Initially it could just be explained away as typical geopolitical business dealings with some corrupt Arabs but being implicated in the murder of a foreign journalist? At the consulate at that?
Yeah, I mean I could speculate a million ways but this is a huge deal. Khashoggi was also a US resident I've seen, possibly a former US asset, killed in an embassy, US/Turkey/NATO implications, obviously the relationships individually between each country, general geopolitical implications...

Trump could try to bury it as he's relatively effective at that but I don't think this will ever truly go away. Saudi really fukked up.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Trump ain't going to do shyt. NK beat a white American until he was brain dead and sent him home to die. Now Trump is acting like he's buddies it Kim. Kushner is getting money from the Saudi's so we know Trump isn't going to say shyt. Add the Saudi's to the list of things the next Dem Administration is going to have to deal with.

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
Trump ain't going to do shyt. NK beat a white American until he was brain dead and sent him home to die. Now Trump is acting like he's buddies it Kim. Kushner is getting money from the Saudi's so we know Trump isn't going to say shyt. Add the Saudi's to the list of things the next Dem Administration is going to have to deal with.
certainly US isnt gonna do shyt about this. turkey might though their relationship with the Saudis and GCC is crashing

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is despicable

I enjoyed reading Khashoggis articles, always provided great insight

This was a loss

fukk MBS
Khashoggi was a great intellect. The wild thing is he wasnt even anti royal. He was close to the Royal Court during King Abdullah's reign and only fell out of favour when MBS came to power. Its the widespread arrests and travel bans that prompted him to leave the country.

Abdullah was more pragmatic vis-a-vis the MB and Qatar, and allowed space for voices who also were sympathetic to that current ( including Khashoggi). MBS has treated anyone even remotely sympathetic to political Islamists like the MB, and any other form of political organization, as terrorists. At this rate, I suspect they will likely see through the death penalty to Salman Al-Ouda as well (Salman al-Ouda - Wikipedia) ( who was among the cases that Khashoggi tried to call attention to).

I do think if Turkey releases any evidence that helps further corroborate a murder or if Saudi doesnt produce any proof of life in the following weeks this will transform into a much broader diplomatic crisis. I know brehs are saying this is business as usual but I disagree. Khashoggi was extremely well-connected both in the Arab/Muslim world and in the States, and was billingual enough to be high profile in both realms. Also considering this took place in Turkey, I suspect this will escalate.

Saudi defense sale approvals are already getting tighter votes than ever before in recent history. I can forsee the first Congressional blocking of a sale since the 80s very soon.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Khashoggi was a great intellect. The wild thing is he wasnt even anti royal. He was close to the Royal Court during King Abdullah's reign and only fell out of favour when MBS came to power. Its the widespread arrests and travel bans that prompted him to leave the country.

Abdullah was more pragmatic vis-a-vis the MB and Qatar, and allowed space for voices who also were sympathetic to that current ( including Khashoggi). MBS has treated anyone even remotely sympathetic to political Islamists like the MB, and any other form of political organization, as terrorists. At this rate, I suspect they will likely see through the death penalty to Salman Al-Ouda as well (Salman al-Ouda - Wikipedia) ( who was among the cases that Khashoggi tried to call attention to).

I do think if Turkey releases any evidence that helps further corroborate a murder or if Saudi doesnt produce any proof of life in the following weeks this will transform into a much broader diplomatic crisis. I know brehs are saying this is business as usual but I disagree. Khashoggi was extremely well-connected both in the Arab/Muslim world and in the States, and was billingual enough to be high profile in both realms. Also considering this took place in Turkey, I suspect this will escalate.

Saudi defense sale approvals are already getting tighter votes than ever before in recent history. I can forsee the first Congressional blocking of a sale since the 80s very soon.
Things are escalating by the hour :merchant:

Turkish newspaper public photos and names of suspected kill team the Saudis sent and people are crowdsourcing their identity on Twitter. All who have been identified are in the security forces:

And now the Washington Post has published the most comprehensive reporting I’ve seen yet. It says US intelligence intercepted chatter about a plan to capture and detain him in Saudi, and they’ve obtained Turkish CCTV images showing black van carrying the kill team moving from consulate to consulate generals house hours after Khashoggi entered. This would explain why the Saudis were fine with opening doors to their consulate - he may have been killed at the house.

Also Bob Corker quoted by the Daily Beast as saying classified intel hes seen has led him to believe he was killed.

This is gonna get more and more wild.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Detained, and dismembered, surprising and grotesque, this played out like another levantado in Tijuana or Guadalajara.

Down there, they call it "disappearing" someone.