Wait hold on. Amara La Negra speaks english?

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
watch the interview, she said folks think she's in black face :heh:

:damn:
33709bda204a1e2f1fb996e5ddd4bf93.jpg

No.

No.

No.

No.

:ohlawd::whew::sadbron::noah:

shyt doesn't make any sense. But it makes l the sense at the world at the same time.:lawd:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
This whole Afro-Latinas "denying their blackness" is a stupid Coli exaggeration. Afro Panamanians, Colombians, Cubans and Brazilians definitely DO NOT. Dominicans and Puerto Ricans(again the Afro descendant ones) may have some confusion but most don't deny their African roots. In fact with the rise of social media I am seeing more and more Dominicans and Afro-Puerto Ricans become more casual in identifying as Afro-Latina. But the first four groups I mentioned do not even deny their blackness but the opposite.

You can be BOTH Black and Latina. Just like you can be BOTH Western and Black. Or BOTH Arab and Black. Or BOTH American and Black. "Latina" is just a cultural identifier.

I wouldn't call it a coli-exaggeration. It's actually well documented but most people don't explain what they mean by "Afro" Latino. In actuality, the darkest latinos of african descent in most places know they're "negro" as they would say, in latin america. Only the Dominican Republic has somewhat of a weird reasoning as to why they're dark with the "Indio Myth." When an American says Latinos deny their "blackness" they're looking through the lens of the USA to people who are NOT OBVIOUSLY BLACK IN LATIN AMERICA but look "black" in the USA context.

Last edited:

Uptown WaYo87

HARLEM/BX
Daps
I wouldn't call it a coli-exaggeration. It's actually well documented but most people don't explain what they mean by "Afro" Latino. In actuality, the darkest latinos of african descent in most places know they're "negro" as they would say, in latin america. Only the Dominican Republic has somewhat of a weird reasoning as to why they're dark with the "Indio Myth." When an American says Latinos deny their "blackness" they're looking through the lens of the USA to people who are NOT OBVIOUSLY BLACK IN LATIN AMERICA but look "black" in the USA context.

NOPE

Its a coli exaggeration. Ive been on here since 2012 and since 2012 ive seen a bunch of AA's from states like alabama, georgia, texas talk shyt about dominicans knowing damn well they never met a dominican in their life in the state they are from and if by any small chance they did, they probably met ONE dominican and they want to categorize an entire group of ppl off this "one" person who more than likely doesnt exist or probably wasnt even dominican to begin with

Im from nyc, my parents were born in dr, moved here n i was born in st lukes hospital on 116th st. Im dominican american. I grew up around dominican americans just like me (all of us different shades of color) , african americans and a few puerto ricans (my bronx family love them). Not once in my life did i ever go thru some racial tension bullshyt within my latin ppl, everybody just went on with life n still do

Then i come on THIS SITE from sohh. And i see a bunch of pro black posters trying their best to shyt on dominicans....man fukk any of ya with that mentality. I already gave up arguing with most on here, easily some of the most childish ignorant posters on the internet. Some of ya get just as racist as the white ppl ya hate so much and are too blind to see it

Eat a dikk

Last edited:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)

Im sorry but this post doesn't even counter what I said and is a bit of a reach.. You mentioning Dominicans is moot as I already said they're really the only ones who have this issue.

Yea its a Coli exaggeration.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
This whole Afro-Latinas "denying their blackness" is a stupid Coli exaggeration. Afro Panamanians, Colombians, Cubans and Brazilians definitely DO NOT. Dominicans and Puerto Ricans(again the Afro descendant ones) may have some confusion but most don't deny their African roots. In fact with the rise of social media I am seeing more and more Dominicans and Afro-Puerto Ricans become more casual in identifying as Afro-Latina. But the first four groups I mentioned do not even deny their blackness but the opposite.

You can be BOTH Black and Latina. Just like you can be BOTH Western and Black. Or BOTH Arab and Black. Or BOTH American and Black. "Latina" is just a cultural identifier.
i think the disconnect that you and a few others are having, is that people are saying the AFRO-latins are denying it...

they said "latin (spanish is what they'd say) people deny their blackness" in other words, some people feel, that ALL latins, PR, DR, Brazil, anywhere else you can name, are part black.. look white as giselle?? "sorry bytch, you black too.. you know africans was in brazil right?" - is what they would say

j. lo is black, arod is black, whoever the fukk... they all black in their eyes and since they won't come out and say so, they denying it

now i don't agree with that at all. there are white latins like there are black latins. shyt i meet chinese brazilian mixes everytime i go down. but to most, y'all all grouped together, and that whole group is "part black". and if you don't say so, you in denial

• Dap
Reactions: flo

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Im sorry but this post doesn't even counter what I said and is a bit of a reach.. You mentioning Dominicans is moot as I already said they're really the only ones who have this issue.

Yea its a Coli exaggeration.

it's not a coli exaggeration when it's well documented that latin-america has an almost reverse onedrop colorline and how various shades of afro-descent, identify, that clashes with the american context

People of Color Who Never Felt They Were Black

By Darryl Fears
Washington Post Staff Writer

At her small apartment near the National Cathedral in Northwest Washington, Maria Martins quietly watched as an African American friend
studied a picture of her mother. "Oh," the friend said, surprise in her voice. "Your mother is white."

She turned to Martins. "But you are black."

That came as news to Martins, a Brazilian who, for 30 years before immigrating to the United States, looked in the mirror and saw a morena
-- a woman with caramel-colored skin that is nearly equated with whiteness in Brazil and some other Latin American countries. "I didn't realize
I was black until I came here," she said.

That realization has come to hundreds of thousands of dark-complexioned immigrants to the United States from Brazil, Colombia, Panama
and other Latin nations with sizable populations of African descent. Although most do not identify themselves as black, they are seen that way

as soon as they set foot in North America.

Race matters in Latin America, but it matters differently.

This black presence is a legacy of slavery, just as it is in the United States. But the experience of race in the United States and in these Latin countries is separated by
how slaves and their descendants were treated after slavery was abolished.

In the United States, custom drew a hard line between black and white, and Jim Crow rules kept the races separate. The color line hardened to the point that it was
sanctioned in 1896 by the Supreme Court in its decision in Plessy v. Ferguson, which held that Homer Plessy, a white-complexioned Louisiana shoemaker, could
not ride in the white section of a train because a single ancestor of his was black.

Thus Americans with any discernible African ancestry -- whether they identified themselves as black or not -- were thrust into one category. One consequence is
that dark-complexioned and light-complexioned black people combined to campaign for equal rights, leading to the civil rights movement of the 1960s.

By contrast, the Latin countries with a sizable black presence had more various, and more fluid, experiences of race after slavery.

African slavery is as much a part of Brazil's history as it is of the United States's, said Sheila Walker, a visiting professor of anthropology at Spelman College in
Atlanta and editor of the book "African Roots/American Cultures." Citing the census in Brazil, she said that nation has more people of African descent than any other
in the world besides Nigeria, Africa's most populous country.

Jose Neinstein, a native white Brazilian and executive director of the Brazilian-American Cultural Institute in Washington, boiled down to the simplest terms how his
people are viewed. "In this country," he said, "if you are not quite white, then you are black." But in Brazil, he said, "If you are not quite black, then you are white."

Someone with Sidney Poitier's deep chocolate complexion would be considered white if his hair were straight and he made a living in a profession. That might not
seem so odd, Brazilians say, when you consider that the fair-complexioned actresses Rashida Jones of the television show "Boston Public" and Lena Horne are
identified as black in the United States.

Neinstein remembered talking with a man of Poitier's complexion during a visit to Brazil. "We were discussing ethnicity," Neinstein said, "and I asked him, 'What do
you think about this from your perspective as a black man?' He turned his head to me and said, 'I'm not black,' " Neinstein recalled. " . . . It simply paralyzed me
. I
couldn't ask another question."

Those perceptions come to the United States with the light- and dark-complexioned Latinos who carry them. But here, they collide with two contradictory forces:
North American prejudice and African American pride.

'I've Learned to Be Proud'

Vilson DaSilva, a native of Brazil, is a moreno. Like his wife, Maria Martins, he was born to a black father and a white mother. But their views on race seem to
differ.

During an interview when Martins said she had no idea how they had identified themselves on the 2000 Census form, DaSilva rolled his eyes. "I said we were
black,"
he said.

He is one of a growing number of Latin immigrants of African descent who identify themselves as Afro-Latino, along the same color spectrum as African Americans.

"I've learned to be proud of my color," he said
. For that, he thanked African American friends who stand up for equal rights.

DaSilva agreed that nuances separate African Americans and Afro-Latinos, but he also believes that seeing Latin America through African American eyes gave him a
better perspective. Unfortunately, he said, it also made him angrier and more stressed.

When DaSilva returned to Brazil for a visit, he asked questions he had never asked, and got answers that shocked him.

His mother told him why her father didn't speak to her for 18 years: "It was because she married a black man," he said. One day, DaSilva's own father pulled him
aside to provide his son some advice. " 'You can play around with whoever you want,' " DaSilva recalled his father saying, " 'but marry your own kind.' " So DaSilva
married Martins, the morena of his dreams.

She is dreaming of a world with fewer racial barriers, a world she believes she left in Brazil to be with her husband in Washington.

Martins said her perspective on race was slowly conforming to the American view, but it saddened her. She doesn't understand why she can't call a pretty black girl
a negrita, the way Latin Americans always say it, with affection. She doesn't understand why she has to say she's black, seeming to deny the existence of her
mother.

"Sometimes I say she is black on the outside and white on the inside," DaSilva said of his wife, who threw her head back and laughed.

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
NOPE

Its a coli exaggeration.

see my last post.

Ive been on here since 2012 and since 2012 ive seen a bunch of AA's from states like alabama, georgia, texas talk shyt about dominicans knowing damn well they never met a dominican in their life in the state they are from and if by any small chance they did, they probably met ONE dominican and they want to categorize an entire group of ppl off this "one" person who more than likely doesnt exist or probably wasnt even dominican to begin with

Im from nyc, my parents were born in dr, moved here n i was born in st lukes hospital on 116th st. Im dominican american. I grew up around dominican americans just like me (all of us different shades of color) , african americans and a few puerto ricans (my bronx family love them). Not once in my life did i ever go thru some racial tension bullshyt within my latin ppl, everybody just went on with life n still do

Im NY born and raised:usure: and been around/know tons of carib latinos. The darkest afro-latinos are usually the ones who don't go around shouting/repping their "latinoness" but the more admixed/mulatto/triracial types that still look "black" in the USA context for the most part/traditionally don't seem themselves as "black" or "negro".

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
it's not a coli exaggeration when it's well documented that latin-merica has an almost reverse on drop colorline and how various shades of afro-descent, identify that clash with the american context

as someone who's been to brazil 4 times, this is all truth... and the blacks still get treated like shyt... to the point we had all these afro brazilians at the crib, my boy brought in a light skin brazilian and the entire mood change.. the light girl felt scared, the dark girls turned evil... she got up out of there. when she left, they shytted on her for being white and how the white people treat the blacks there.. whole time the girl looked like a black shorty i'd see around richmond

Gravity

Banned
Daps
as someone who's been to brazil 4 times, this is all truth... and the blacks still get treated like shyt... to the point we had all these afro brazilians at the crib, my boy brought in a light skin brazilian and the entire mood change.. the light girl felt scared, the dark girls turned evil... she got up out of there. when she left, they shytted on her for being white and how the white people treat the blacks there.. whole time the girl looked like a black shorty i'd see around richmond
This is what inevitably happens in societies that separate mixed blacks from those not considered mixed.