Wait a minute, those nigggas selling burned CDs in the parking lot were making millions?

Was burning CDs really lucrative bacc in the day?

• Yes, what type of question is that?

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • No, they’re cappin

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
My boy did this in high school, this would be like 2000 or so, it was a real hustle. He didn't make crazy money, but he made money. Flipped it into buying ounces of chronic.

I did a few too, through sohh, used an AIM connect to get my boy 50's debut and then split the profits when he made the cd's and sold them, before the albums came out.

now I see guys doing this outside the clubs in downtown SD and I don't know what the fukk they are thinking. Giving away or selling mixtapes. what is anyone going to do with a cd?

Dameon Farrow

Superstar
Daps
Not millions but blank cds were really cheap. Even the ones that came with jewel cases were cheap as all hell at one point. $10/cd from a 100 cd spindle that cost you maybe $15. You do the math.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
iykyk

FpI4UyhWAAA-W-J

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Before we were close, my homie sold CD"s for $5, and I said what if I give you a list of songs? and he was like for sure. So the songs were like

Nas Blaze A 50
Nas Eye For An Eye Freestyle
Shyne Bad Boyz original version
Black Rob Whoa remix
Anywhere 112 and Shyne remix
Between Me And You Remix

and he came back days later, like you know how long it took me to do this? on a 56k connection? and I just threw the money at his desk and said yeah thanks man LOL

he said he hated me after that for awhile.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, it virtually cost them nothing. Just 11.99 for pack of 50 Blank CDs. Then use limewire to download music to put on CDs. Then sell for $10 each. That's $488 straight profit. This was also the mixtape era, where the whole hood was listening to mixtapes and bootleg albums.

Also if you was the ringtone man that added custom ringtones to people's nextels and sidekicks. You was making bank. Both situations tax-free.

brehs were buying good CARS in high school over bootleg CD money. I knew this one breh that had over $40,000 when he started his first day in high school since he bootlegged burnt CDs so much in middle school.

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
Cats didn’t wanna buy music just to be finessed…

It was nothing to buy a bootleg off the street for 5.00.

Nipsey saw how 40 Water and Too Short did it and went from there.

S/O to E-40 for making something outta nothing and to Too Short for being the first rapper to cuss on records with conviction

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
I was born in the wrong era :snoop:

I’m assuming almost all of these hustles and even variations of them are dried up by now

Technology done fukked up a lot of hustles, period. Why else did the Great Recession coincide with the rise of the iPhone and high speed internet?

July 2007 was basically the beginning of the end of the 'old world' economy. the 'old world' economy, you can do shyt like burning CDs and selling them and make a decent living. Now, forget it.

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
Cats didn’t wanna buy music just to be finessed…

It was nothing to buy a bootleg off the street for 5.00.

Nipsey saw how 40 Water and Too Short did it and went from there.

S/O to E-40 for making something outta nothing and to Too Short for being the first rapper to cuss on records with conviction

The early 2000s and late 90s was a time period where a lot of established rappers were dropping weedplates of albums, and thinking that their fanbases were casual idiots. A lot of people who bought bootleg CDs still bought retail albums from DMX, Nas, Hov, and others out of respect. They bootleg the C-tier rappers that only had 3-5 hot songs on their albums.

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
Technology done fukked up a lot of hustles, period. Why else did the Great Recession coincide with the rise of the iPhone and high speed internet?

July 2007 was basically the beginning of the end of the 'old world' economy. the 'old world' economy, you can do shyt like burning CDs and selling them and make a decent living. Now, forget it.

On the bright side, it’s easier to watch movies now..

I know folks that still burn CDs too. Not everyone wants to ride around with a burnt flash drive on shuffle or a huge aux cord either. I seen a cat at the gas station the other day bumping Luther in a Crown Vic on 24s

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
It costs like 5 dollars to get a bunch or blank cds

You charge 10 for the mixtape. That's 5 dollars back in your pocket and the person buying is getting all the songs they like without paying as much as they would for the album.

Of course it was a lucrative hustle. Especially if you had a good computer with 16x or 32x write speed. You could easily put out 20 cds in no time. 20x5. 100 dollars in less than a half hour of work.

DVDs was even crazier especially if you had a dual layer writer and could put 2 movies on one disc.

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
On the bright side, it’s easier to watch movies now..

I know folks that still burn CDs too. Not everyone wants to ride around with a burnt flash drive on shuffle or a huge aux cord either. I seen a cat at the gas station the other day bumping Luther in a Crown Vic on 24s

CDs have much better sound quality, but a lot of newer cars don't even have CD players in them anymore SMH

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
The early 2000s and late 90s was a time period where a lot of established rappers were dropping weedplates of albums, and thinking that their fanbases were casual idiots. A lot of people who bought bootleg CDs still bought retail albums from DMX, Nas, Hov, and others out of respect. They bootleg the C-tier rappers that only had 3-5 hot songs on their albums.
It definitely was…

Even my Dad said he stopped buying CDs for that reason alone.

I remember when cats were bootlegging the hell outta Boosie and Gucci. Those are the two most popular rappers that got hot off folks burning their mixtapes.

DMX was definitely putting out some garbage during the 2000s.

Grand Champ was bloated and don’t get me started on Year Of The Dog