Virtua Fighter is coming back as an eSports game

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Right, and to add to this. The "comeback mechanic" differs depending on who you play against. I dunno how well versed the board is with VF5:FS (i haven't played the previous that well to know) but i can give some great examples.

Jacky - he lacks lows, and his throws are MEGA unsafe when broken as they leave him side turned. In VF, being at side turned is a bit like you get hit and you're on the ropes. This is because all your attacks will come out roughly a second SLOWER, as the character has to physically turn around and the game has a side ways crumple system when you are counter hit. Combos that start from this state can easily deal around 70% damage. So the comeback mechanic against jacky is actually breaking his throw, and then really punishing him on the guessing game that comes after

Akira - Akira is...well he's linear and can be quite unsafe. He doesn't really full circle moves (attacks that track side step, or homing moves) so he's really vulnerable to step > punish. and he sucks at dealing with crouch cancels. So if you got an akira thats near killing you, get ready to step, or get ready to let go of guard for his guard break, and counter hit his ass.

Those two examples are so much more player driven and dynamic than Rage Art/Rage drive in T7, which i fukking despise.
Yea, VF5:FS is my most played fighter ever.

I'm hip to what you're pointing out. I used to main Pai and when I would go against Akira, I would step and parry mid a lot because like you said, he is extremely linear and his mids can crush you

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
The thing that you all are overlooking with tekken is ...

Once you get to a high level it too becomes a slower paced game, the better players know the movesets and risks involved on doing certain moves.

The matches become tense because one mistake and well.....

You brothers could never understand the pressure of playing Tekken:blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed:

Something I have to remind myself is to never wake up attack with Jin. There's only suffering ahead.

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
Yea, VF5:FS is my most played fighter ever.

I'm hip to what you're pointing out. I used to main Pai and when I would go against Akira, I would step and parry mid a lot because like you said, he is extremely linear and his mids can crush you

You played Pai!? vs akira!? I feel bad for you :russ: . Akira vs Lightweights in FS in general was horrible (in my opinion. I play Akira/Wolf/jacky) simply because 666P did too much damage (6 is forward for those that don't know).

For those that didn't know. VF has a weight system. the heavier you are, the harder you are to juggle, and vice versa. Pai is lightweight. Akira has the best juggles in the game next to jacky.

This may sound crazy, but I always felt like VF and DOA missed what the other had. When Akira showed up in DOA5 (a classic imo) it really showed. VF needs to look more "dramatic" and DOA could do with a lot more depth to it. (IMO they hould have poached VFs movement system to deal with characters like Ayane). Akira In DOA looks better than he ever did in VF

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I havent touched a console in about 3 years now. I'm a old head, so I dont know whats going on currently. saw this thread though and had to come in. I am not going to say VF is the best fighter of all time.....but the shyt was REALLY complex. it was the most realistic true to life fighter there ever was. The reason why its not as popular as some of the other fighters mentioned is because it wasnt a button masher or a game of cheap string combos. As much as I loved Tekken, if you could really find someone to play against in VF that knew how to play, shyt was unlimited fun.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps

I legit wish doa had virtua fighter mechanics and animation. Doa characters look kinda goofy as hell. There i said it

parallax

Superstar
Daps
hopefully if this does well we can get a fighters megamix 2. or at this point id take a ported version