Virtua Fighter is coming back as an eSports game

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures
The thing that you all are overlooking with tekken is ...

Once you get to a high level it too becomes a slower paced game, the better players know the movesets and risks involved on doing certain moves.

The matches become tense because one mistake and well.....

You brothers could never understand the pressure of playing Tekken:blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed:

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I remember way back in our days of you even arguing debating with me about Tekken feeling a bit harder, due to its movement learning curve and possibly the other factors you laid out here. Good times.

I do agree that VF is essentially the most technically sound fighter out there. It just nudges Tekken out in that regard and games like SF/Blazblue/Guilty it does just off the 3d factor adding more to it than those games do.
I felt like Tekken was harder for me because of how different movement was in it compared to VF. For me, Tekken's tracking system for attacks is much more loose and forgiving than VF. Like... in VF, if I side step an attack or start of a combo, punishing the other player who missed is straightforward. In Tekken, it's like you have to step multiple times to be in the clear or else you getting hit with something or getting juggled. I'm sure with experience it's different but, I just had a hard time adjusting after all the hours in VF.

You add in that the vets of the franchise know the characters in and out as well as all of the nuances about them. I never really felt like dedicating the time to getting as nice in Tekken as I was in VF.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Once you get to a high level it too becomes a slower paced game, the better players know the movesets and risks involved on doing certain moves.

You brothers could never understand the pressure of playing Tekken:blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed:

Within the first 3 seconds is an example of why I only messed with Tekken casually.

Akuma player literally throws out 3 attacks, the last one he jumps in the air and punches as he's landing... Jin sidesteps the jumping punch move, and counter punches the Akuma player right after he whiffs the punch, and the Akuma player still blocks Jin's punch

:dwillhuh:

That's why people give Tekken that spam or mashing title (I know it's not). For less experienced players, it's hard to understand why a player can whiff moves consecutively and get sidestepped and not easily punished... or you sidestep a portion of a combo or sequence and then get clipped by the end of it or some shyt. For a lot of people it feels random, but for vets they know what's what.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Within the first 3 seconds is an example of why I only messed with Tekken casually.

Akuma player literally throws out 3 attacks, the last one he jumps in the air and punches as he's landing... Jin sidesteps the jumping punch move, and counter punches the Akuma player right after he whiffs the punch, and the Akuma player still blocks Jin's punch

:dwillhuh:

That's why people give Tekken that spam or mashing title (I know it's not).
For less experienced players, it's hard to understand why a player can whiff moves consecutively and get sidestepped and not easily punished... or you sidestep a portion of a combo or sequence and then get clipped by the end of it or some shyt. For a lot of people it feels random, but for vets they know what's what.

Yeah, you said it earlier. It's the difference in Tekken's tracking system there.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
sometimes i do prefer to look at the realism and restraint of VF graphics. it's closer to watching a kung fu movie since there arent a bunch of sparks and explosions

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Thinking about it... maybe they can pull it off if they get it out in the next 2 years.

Because that LoL fighting game is probably gonna crush the buildings as an esport title

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
Anyway, VF is a far, far easier title to get into. In its current form its actually perfect for Esports, cus of the RPS system. Tekkens biggest flaw pre-T7 and why it stagnated a bit during BR/TTT2 is because of the way it throws several legacy systems at you from the offset.

VF is also a far, far faster game in terms of what happens at higher levels. Compare Homestay akira matches to Pre-T7 JDCR in tag2 to see what I mean. T7 attempted to address this (in the worst way imo but whatever) and they're harder than each other in different ways.

E.G High level Tekken gameplay is more about timing your movement (such as ss-duck) to your opponent in terms of defence and/or catching them with a CH, or a whiff punish in terms of reactions.

High Level VF is more about just using the system to creatively outplay your opponent. There isn't anything in Tekken like a VF5FS Jacky Bryant, or a VF4 Akira. But VF doesn't have anything close to the stress of playing a mishima.

But then nothing in tekken, movement wise is anywhere near this fukking hard. For Reference I started with T6, and VF5.

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London

This isn't a case of "tekken is punishing" that's a case of "2D characters are bullshyt".

Jin in that particular situation can't even AA akuma properly for the damage, because he'd just hit the wall at an angle and Jin gets a half combo at best. Meanwhile Akuma gets to jump a Tekken stable (DF1) and do 80 percent damage. That being said, playing against BR, T5DR, T7 Steve is...horrible lol.

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
I don't wanna call VF chess and Tekken checkers because that oversimplifies it.

VF is a more nuanced game that requires a lot more thinking, not a lot of chaos, very calculated. Slower paced.

Tekken can be chaotic and has a lot more twitch reflexes. The execution is generally harder, more muscle memory required, faster paced.

Some would argue Tekken is harder to play, some would argue VF is harder to play, depends on the kind of player you are. But I think both are equally deep, it's just that the average person or gamer naturally gravitates towards action and faster pace, so Tekken is more appealing to more audiences.

I'd have to disagree. Akira Yuki alone is harder than every tekken character not named Lee Chaolan, and by nature he's more "active". Tekken also doesn't have several different kinds of steps the way VF does (Wavedash, Hayashida, Duck cancel, snake dash and taunt dash). Most of them are either a derivative of the standard BDC (which imo is the hardest to learn), or are standard inputs (wavedash is a DP input, snake dash is QCF U aka fireball, duck cancel is just F3 db. Taunt dash is legit hard for me).

To add to that, BDC has an actual shortcut built in that you can use (do first input an then keep doing QCB). VF with its crouch cancel has/had no such thing, you ALWAYS have to do 833/233 into guard or so. That small thing means you have to do so much more inputs than normal.

Sorry for the double post lol, I'm crazy passionate about fighters, and seeing them on the coli lit a smile on my face i needed for this year.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
VF is also a far, far faster game in terms of what happens at higher levels.
Very true.

Another thing about VF that I appreciate is how there's no meter or comeback system implemented. It isn't necessary in VF because no matter what the energy bar says, you're never out of a match. Momentum can switch like that and once a player gets predictable it's a wrap.

Out thinking and countering your opponent's play style is what VF is built on.

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
Very true.

Another thing about VF that I appreciate is how there's no meter or comeback system implemented. It isn't necessary in VF because no matter what the energy bar says, you're never out of a match. Momentum can switch like that and once a player gets predictable it's a wrap.

Out thinking and countering your opponent's play style is what VF is built on.

Right, and to add to this. The "comeback mechanic" differs depending on who you play against. I dunno how well versed the board is with VF5:FS (i haven't played the previous that well to know) but i can give some great examples.

Jacky - he lacks lows, and his throws are MEGA unsafe when broken as they leave him side turned. In VF, being at side turned is a bit like you get hit and you're on the ropes. This is because all your attacks will come out roughly a second SLOWER, as the character has to physically turn around and the game has a side ways crumple system when you are counter hit. Combos that start from this state can easily deal around 70% damage. So the comeback mechanic against jacky is actually breaking his throw, and then really punishing him on the guessing game that comes after

Akira - Akira is...well he's linear and can be quite unsafe. He doesn't really full circle moves (attacks that track side step, or homing moves) so he's really vulnerable to step > punish. and he sucks at dealing with crouch cancels. So if you got an akira thats near killing you, get ready to step, or get ready to let go of guard for his guard break, and counter hit his ass.

Those two examples are so much more player driven and dynamic than Rage Art/Rage drive in T7, which i fukking despise.