Virtua Fighter is coming back as an eSports game

Consumed

Superstar
Daps
compared to VF,it is.
one game you can win very often with button mashing,while the other is known as a fighting simulation
there is a reason why casuals run from VF
:manny:it is what it is

you’ll die against any decent Tekken player for mashing without good movement and adjustment in your timing. you’ll also need matchup knowledge in a roster of 50 characters with bloated movelists.

casuals ran from Tag 2. game got easier in T7 (which I think will happen to VF too), still have people giving up because the game is deep.

we can call both franchises chess of varying levels. checkers isn't tekken.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
It's 10 times more fluid and much more complex, in my opinion

It's definitely not more complex, but it's more flashy, faster, stylistic and thus more memorable as a fighter on the surface than VF ever was. Character designs, for as sexual as they were, definitely shyt on VF's as well. Both in an aesthetic sense and especially personality-wise.

Most fighting game heads don't hold DOA as much respectable, especially in comparison to VF, but way more people will play DOA casually and/or will be entertained just watching it in play.

• Dap
Reactions: B86

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
i don't know about that also
every time a VF game came out, it was appearance-wise (graphically) state of the art or close to it.
this is known.

VF is an excellent case of example that graphics and art can be two separate things. You're right in the technical sense, VF's gfx have mostly been amazing and/or even above the others since like VF3. However, its artstyle is bland as fukk. Same with character designs and its stages just lack a lot of cinematic flair. When you compare that to how practically ever other fighting game is the opposite in that sense of design, its blandness really stands out even more.

mr.africa

Veteran
Daps
VF is an excellent case of example that graphics and art can be two separate things. You're right in the technical sense, VF's gfx have mostly been amazing and/or even above the others since like VF3. However, its artstyle is bland as fukk. Same with character designs and its stages just lack a lot of cinematic flair. When you compare that to how practically ever other fighting game is the opposite in that sense of design, its blandness really stands out even more.
VF always went for realism, even in its graphic style
maybe that is why it seems bland to you
as far as i'm concerned, it has always been on the forefront of fighters from graphics,styles,design and depth.
cannot tell me anything about the stages and stage design of 3 and especially 4
other fighters are a bit 'cartoony' and thus seem to have a bit more flair.
it is what it is.
:manny:
good convo

mr.africa

Veteran
Daps
Virtua Fighter 4 on ps2 was :blessed:
i remember so many of my tekken playing friends being surprised by how good the game was
yu suzuki and his team basically on their first try with the ps2 hardware created the best fighter on that system
even the playstation biased reviewers had to bow down to VF4

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I don't wanna call VF chess and Tekken checkers because that oversimplifies it.

VF is a more nuanced game that requires a lot more thinking, not a lot of chaos, very calculated. Slower paced.

Tekken can be chaotic and has a lot more twitch reflexes. The execution is generally harder, more muscle memory required, faster paced.

Some would argue Tekken is harder to play, some would argue VF is harder to play, depends on the kind of player you are. But I think both are equally deep, it's just that the average person or gamer naturally gravitates towards action and faster pace, so Tekken is more appealing to more audiences.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
VF always went for realism, even in its graphic style
maybe that is why it seems bland to you
as far as i'm concerned, it has always been on the forefront of fighters from graphics,styles,design and depth.
cannot tell me anything about the stages and stage design of 3 and especially 4
other fighters are a bit 'cartoony' and thus seem to have a bit more flair.
it is what it is.
:manny:
good convo

I think it's on the forefront as for as sheer technical skill and strategy. Definitely needs more style tho.

I don't wanna call VF chess and Tekken checkers because that oversimplifies it.

VF is a more nuanced game that requires a lot more thinking, not a lot of chaos, very calculated. Slower paced.

Tekken can be chaotic and has a lot more twitch reflexes. The execution is generally harder, more muscle memory required, faster paced.

Some would argue Tekken is harder to play, some would argue VF is harder to play, depends on the kind of player you are. But I think both are equally deep, it's just that the average person or gamer naturally gravitates towards action and faster pace, so Tekken is more appealing to more audiences.

Yeah, pretty much.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I don't necessarily think VF is more complex than Tekken. In my opinion, it was more technically sound and it's system was straightforward but deep.

Tekken's large roster automatically adds a level of complexity to winning consistently. I say that because in any fighting game, your knowledge of the roster and each character's movelist is essential. You have to understand so many character/player habits and techniques and go-to moves to stand a chance... And this is separate from you knowing your own character's movelist and personal play style.

VF has less characters to learn, but each fighters' movelist is pretty unique and you have to lock in to getting the most out of one character. That's why in VF most players would main maybe 2 characters at most because it's harder to adapt one character's style to another. Tekken has more similar movelists/commands between characters so it's easier to implement your own fighting style with multiple characters if that makes sense.

VF is like rock, paper, scissors. All experienced players know each character's movelist very well, even if they don't use them. In addition to that, they know what tools clearly counter each other. The game has clear audio and visual cues that a beginner won't notice right away, but a vet knows like the back of their hand.

I know every fighting game at high levels hits on what I posted, but I feel like VF implements everything from a pure skill and competition perspective the best. It's truly a mental challenge when 2 players are around the same level are going against each other in VF

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I don't necessarily think VF is more complex than Tekken. In my opinion, it was more technically sound and it's system was straightforward but deep.

Tekken's large roster automatically adds a level of complexity to winning consistently. I say that because in any fighting game, your knowledge of the roster and each character's movelist is essential. You have to understand so many character/player habits and techniques and go-to moves to stand a chance... And this is separate from you knowing your own character's movelist and personal play style.

VF has less characters to learn, but each fighters' movelist is pretty unique and you have to lock in to getting the most out of one character. That's why in VF most players would main maybe 2 characters at most because it's harder to adapt one character's style to another. Tekken has more similar movelists/commands between characters so it's easier to implement your own fighting style with multiple characters if that makes sense.

VF is like rock, paper, scissors. All experienced players know each character's movelist very well, even if they don't use them. In addition to that, they know what tools clearly counter each other. The game has clear audio and visual cues that a beginner won't notice right away, but a vet knows like the back of their hand.

I know every fighting game at high levels hits on what I posted, but I feel like VF implements everything from a pure skill and competition perspective the best. It's truly a mental challenge when 2 players are around the same level are going against each other in VF

I remember way back in our days of you even arguing debating with me about Tekken feeling a bit harder, due to its movement learning curve and possibly the other factors you laid out here. Good times.

I do agree that VF is essentially the most technically sound fighter out there. It just nudges Tekken out in that regard and games like SF/Blazblue/Guilty it does just off the 3d factor adding more to it than those games do.