Viola Davis says black woman aren't romantically linked with white men enough in flims

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
She thinks her role breaks stereotypes from film’s beginning’s.

I’m reading the book Toms, c00ns, mulattoes, mammies and bucks. An interpretive history of blacks in films.

She is correct. She is not being portrayed as a prostitute or any other reinforced stereotype.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Lust for white acceptance is a bytch :francis:

Now the dream is to be in bed in front of a camera with a white person. That's the goal now :hhh: Not the thousand other problems crippling the community

That's like me saying that episode in Malcolm in the Middle where Francis has a black girlfriend was a political statement :snoop:

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
I really don't understand what Viola Davis is talking about in this interview, BW/WM is one of the most common pairing we see on TV/movies, we see them even more than the most common IR pairings in real life ( white men with asian women or hispanics ).

One of the biggest disappointments about HTGAWM was the bisexual relationship Annalise had with a white woman. When was the last time we saw a black lesbian couple on TV - The Wire? Now we have Tegan Price - a black lesbian - but I bet Annalise (who had a white husband, FFS) won't get a sniff of those pannydraws. Viola is my hero and I get what she's trying to say, but...who GIVES a fukk if her onscreen man is white? It would be MORE revolutionary if he was black.

cjlaw93

(Black) American
Daps
Had to stop at 1:09 where she implies that her being in bed with Liam Neeson is a political statement- as if black women being in relationships with white men is anything new or extraordinary. I'm done with her.
:mjlol: It’s crazy when they say that

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
One of the biggest disappointments about HTGAWM was the bisexual relationship Annalise had with a white woman. When was the last time we saw a black lesbian couple on TV - The Wire? Now we have Tegan Price - a black lesbian - but I bet Annalise (who had a white husband, FFS) won't get a sniff of those pannydraws. Viola is my hero and I get what she's trying to say, but...who GIVES a fukk if her onscreen man is white? It would be MORE revolutionary if he was black.
:what: Who gives a fucc about the race of the significant other in a LGBT relationship?