VINCE MCMAHON ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
While not a counter argument, I think to a degree there is truth. He didn't 'create' wrestling, but rather introduced wrestling to the mainstream. Wrestling prior to Vince was a niche industry, but because of Vince, he helped usher in Wrestling as something that could be integrated with mainstream culture.
I was going to say you can give him props for creating "sports entertainment" but when I thought about it, I remembered that the Harlem Globetrotters probably started that too they just didn't use the phrase.

Edit: Yeah that's why I wanted to give him props on the business and creative side.

CBoz

We Are NXT!
Daps
Reppin
The NXT Universe
I was going to say you can give him props for creating "sports entertainment" but when I thought about it, I remembered that the Harlem Globetrotters probably started that too they just didn't use the phrase.
Maybe the term "Sport Entertainment" you can credit to Vince but "Pro-wrestling" was always a work since the carnie days so in a sense it's always been "Sports Entertainment."

:hubie:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
What would stop Vince from ghost booking these shows from home or something? He’s still the majority shareholder. If he sends a script in to Bruce or whatever, or says I want so and so to win the title tonight, they supposed to ignore it?

i believe they would placate him to a degree sure.. but they (Steph/Hunter) will have more say now. i noticed some differences on commentary already. i believe Hunter will be be able to push the men and women he wants from NXT.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
He had to retire sooner or later, scandals not weighing in. Dude is almost 80. Someone has to eventually take over, though, and this be good timing to do so.

I'm sure he is still strongly involved since, well, it is the WWF/WWE.

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
Maybe the term "Sport Entertainment" you can credit to Vince but "Pro-wrestling" was always a work since the carnie days so in a sense it's always been "Sports Entertainment."

:hubie:
I'll agree with you on that, coining the phrase "sports entertainment" was a PR success,

QU Hectic

Superstar
Daps
icegif-521.gif

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
I've been thinking about this. I wonder if Cokeboy has some sort of terminal disease. I know there's a ton of allegations and there's supposedly a bombshell coming, but dude is carny as fukk and wouldn't step down the way he did.
I've been saying for the past 3 or 4 years the guy looks ill.

He went from looking like he was 50 when he was 70 to looking like he was 85 at 75
Joe Pa died I think 2 months after he was forced out.

The Paterno Cult is/was sickening. They make the Stooges look like normal people.
To be fair, Joe Paterno didn't molest or assault anybody.

He's guilty of not taking allegations against his employees seriously enough.

Vince McMahon himself is the one who's guilty of sexually assaulting people
I respect Vince for his business and creative peak but I've seen way too many people on Reddit and Twitter come out saying Vince "created" wrestling or you wouldn't be watching wrestling without Vince. I have to disagree with both, especially since my grandparents were watching wrestling when Vince Sr. was booking and passed it down to my dad. And even with that, I started watching WCW first because my older cousins were moreso WCW fans.

Also on the second point CMLL, NJPW, AJPW, and the NWA all existed before Vince even took over with many NWA promotions running stadium shows. I can agree there wouldn't be "sports entertainment" but I don't believe that no one would be watching wrestling if Vince never went national.
You could argue that by destroying the territories, he doomed wrestling to it's current niche fate in someways.

When I watch AEW, I always say to myself that I wish there were territories for a lot of these people like Sammy Guevara, Jade Cargill, Anna Jay, Darius Martin, and all these people to work in and get good before they end up on national TV.

Daps
While not a counter argument, I think to a degree there is truth. He didn't 'create' wrestling, but rather introduced wrestling to the mainstream. Wrestling prior to Vince was a niche industry, but because of Vince, he helped usher in Wrestling as something that could be integrated with mainstream culture.
It had hit national status before, specifically on the back of Gorgeous George in the '50s. It was a big draw on national TV before it fizzled out in the '60s (it was a big success on the now-dead DuMont network in particular).

I"d argue that the advent of cable TV made wrestling going mainstream again a lock. If Vince wasn't there, Ted Turner would have done with GCW what he did with the Atlanta Braves.

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
It had hit national status before, specifically on the back of Gorgeous George in the '50s. It was a big draw on national TV before it fizzled out in the '60s (it was a big success on the now-dead DuMont network in particular).

I"d argue that the advent of cable TV made wrestling going mainstream again a lock. If Vince wasn't there, Ted Turner would have done with GCW what he did with the Atlanta Braves.

Agreed.

MrLogic

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cash
If steph goes 100% on women wrastling its going really be trash even more when Vince ran into the ground

maybe why vince decided to have co-ceo's....