“Villanova Dogs and a Domesticated WildKAT... Make It Make Sense..." Official 2024 NY Knicks off-season Thread

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
This should be fun. Carmelo talks about linsanity and Jeremy lin

I've always been annoyed at the "Melo hates Lin" crap, because it all stemmed from one out of context comment. Melo called Lin's contract offer from Houston ridiculous, but I distinctly remember Alan Hahn being like "it's obvious Melo means the POISON PILL part." Everyone ignored that context and just ran with the drama instead.

The fact some fans treated Melo like a bad guy or jealous in that situation will always bother me.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I was there. He lying.

Nobody in NY wanted him to get paid.
Wrong. The Knicks told Lin to bring them the best offer he could get. He came back with Houston's offer, and the Knicks let everyone know they'd match. Then his agent went back to Houston and got a restructured deal for more money. That's when the Knicks got pissed and let him walk. Everyone was down to pay him until he got slick.

First, let’s understand the decision in front of the Knicks at the time. On July 5, 2012, when Adrian Wojnarowski was still breaking stories for Yahoo, he reported that Lin had agreed to a four-year, $28.8 million offer sheet with the Rockets. At that point in time, it was expected the Knicks would match the offer, despite it being back-loaded at $9.3 million in each of the final two seasons as a disincentive for New York to match due to luxury tax implications.

But the Knicks viewed the negotiations leading to him signing with the Rockets differently. According to Frank Isola, the Knicks became infuriated when they believed Lin asked for more money from Houston, not less.

The original offer sheet reported by Woj included two $9.3 million payments in the final two years of a four-year contract. The final offer sheet that Lin signed included a balloon, “poison pill” payment of $14.9 million in the third year of a three-year, $25.1 million deal. According to Isola, it was the revision in the contract that infuriated owner James Dolan and led the team to letting their newfound marketing machine walk away that summer.

What's foul is how Lin rearranging his contract has mostly been forgotten. This reddit thread has posters adding details for anyone who forgot or missed it when it actually happened.

Last edited:

In The Zone '98

Superstar
Daps
They never wanted to pay the dude

Which is why Melo during an interview called the contract ridiculous

And here's JR Smith's thoughts on the matter...

If New York matches Houston's offer, Lin's contract could create problems in the locker room, Knicks guard J.R. Smith told SI.com.
"Without a doubt," Smith told the website. "I think some guys take it personal, because they've been doing it longer and haven't received any reward for it yet. I think it's a tough subject to touch on for a lot of guys."

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
They never wanted to pay the dude

Which is why Melo during an interview called the contract ridiculous

And here's JR Smith's thoughts on the matter...
Nah, that was just media drama-baiting.

When JR and Amare mentioned some players in the locker room being upset about the contract, the media ran with it and claimed the comments were about Melo. Amare actually had to come out with a follow-up to point out that Melo wasn't who he was talking about.

Matter of fact, the "Ridiculous contract" article included Melo saying that he'd love to have Lin back.
Asked if he could envision Lin being with the Knicks next season, Anthony said on Sunday: "At this point there's a lot going on. I stay away from that part right now. I would love to see him back, but I think he has to do what's best for him right now."

And here's the original contract agreement story, which shows version of the contract New York was ready to match. It wasn't until after New York made it clear they'd match, that Lin went back to Houston for more money:
The New York Knicks have vowed to match any offer Lin receives to keep him. The earliest Lin can officially sign the offer sheet is July 11. The Knicks would have three days to match or let him join the Rockets.

Houston's four-year offer to Jeremy Lin includes a team option in the fourth year. He would make $5 million in year one, $5.2 million in year two and $9.3 million in each of years three and four. The back-loaded offer is designed to hit the Knicks hard on the luxury tax.

Had Lin signed that offer sheet on July 11th, there wouldn't be a July 15th article about a completely different contract structure. New York would have only had three days to match. But Lin agreed to one deal, got the Knicks to say they were matching, and then went back to the table for a better offer from Houston. That's why the process went longer than July 14th.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
I'm hoping this is just a way to pre-empt any tampering allegations.
They likely getting Paul George, They got the cap space to pay him, and he should be able to see that the Clippers aren’t winning shyt. His agent is CAA. If everyone is colluding you got to create the paperwork to make it make sense.

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
They likely getting Paul George, They got the cap space to pay him, and he should be able to see that the Clippers aren’t winning shyt. His agent is CAA. If everyone is colluding you got to create the paperwork to make it make sense.
Who's likely getting Paul George?
The Knicks? :childplease:
Why would they want that loser