“Villanova Dogs and a Domesticated WildKAT... Make It Make Sense..." Official 2024 NY Knicks off-season Thread

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
On the OG contract front, I’m going to continue to be optimistic for a few reasons:

1) OG already came out and said he never asked for the max from Toronto. That’s probably a decent sign.
2) Aside from Josh Hart (depending how you feel about him) the Knicks don’t have a single overpay on the roster. Every single contract is an extreme value deal. Everyone is playing well above their contract and at worst Josh is playing at his contract level.
3) They even got RJ to take below the max. My guess (re: HOPE) is OG gets 28-32 million. I believe his max starts around 37 million…

Ripp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens
If everyone's healthy by the playoffs, Thibs will have a REALLY interesting set of options for any 7-game series. He'll have options to go big, go small, play five out or attack post-heavy...and he'll be able to put together a tough defense regardless of the approach. Plus Brunson's a closer, straight up and down.

Not that there is ever a good thing about injuries but the best part about this whole situation is all of the bench guys are now battle tested beyond measure. Once all of the starters are back the bench will be able to come in and play like that are starters because they have been starting.. unlimited options

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
On the OG contract front, I’m going to continue to be optimistic for a few reasons:

1) OG already came out and said he never asked for the max from Toronto. That’s probably a decent sign.
2) Aside from Josh Hart (depending how you feel about him) the Knicks don’t have a single overpay on the roster. Every single contract is an extreme value deal. Everyone is playing well above their contract and at worst Josh is playing at his contract level.
3) They even got RJ to take below the max. My guess (re: HOPE) is OG gets 28-32 million. I believe his max starts around 37 million…
I think the Knicks traded for OG at least having a good understanding of what the extension was going to look like going forward. I think he's going to get between 4/140-150(35 to 37.5M AAV). He's clearly very important to the team's success, aren't the Knicks like 15-2 with him in the lineup?

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
This really brings home the elephant in the room...

Quickley- Brunson could have really worked.

That being said, I'm very happy with this front office... VERY HAPPY.
I'm curious about how much of this Thibs was planning ahead of trades. Between IQ and Grimes, that's a LOT of POA defense the Knicks gave up without an obviously better player for that specific need in the rotation. But they signed McBride to an extension before he could start playing and prove he's probably worth a lot more than he'll be paid the next 3 years.

So, it feels like people on the staff KNEW they had something which made it easier to part ways with IQ and Grimes...granted, we also might wonder how aware they were of Grimes' knee because for as much as Burks and Bojan struggled, the best ability is availability.

Not that there is ever a good thing about injuries but the best part about this whole situation is all of the bench guys are now battle tested beyond measure. Once all of the starters are back the bench will be able to come in and play like that are starters because they have been starting.. unlimited options
Big facts here. A lot of players have had to try on different hats and roles. Precious has learned the PF and C roles. Donte's downhill game improved big time with extra touches in the second-lead role. Deuce has the reads figured out from the three main starting points for lead ballhandler, and he's confident rotating to open space as the weakside spacer.

These guys can step up if needed, but understand their roles under other circumstances.

I think the Knicks traded for OG at least having a good understanding of what the extension was going to look like going forward. I think he's going to get between 4/140-150(35 to 37.5M AAV). He's clearly very important to the team's success, aren't the Knicks like 15-2 with him in the lineup?
It definitely seems like both OG and the Knicks had a sense of where negotiations would be going. It's been reported that OG's people made it pretty clear to interested teams that he wanted the max UNLESS it was the Knicks. That's probably what drove his trade value down from three-firsts and then some to a valuable second and youth.