[Video]The Fall of The Simpsons: How it Happened

StickStickly

Superstar
Daps
it lost its essence because "you" grew older. this "Simpsons Suck" opinion is not new, it just the people who grew up with it are older now and the show didn't grow up with them. The show does NOT suck, its just not for us anymore:flabbynsick:
When i still occasionally turn to it while waiting for GoT, its still one of the best looking shows on TV and I never end up saying that was a horrible episode of the Simpsons:manny:
Do you think it's a different show now? I mean it makes sense that I've grown up and therefore can't connect to it or see its relevance anymore.

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
Do you think it's a different show now? You don't think it's changed?
Not as drastically where it makes those 40 year olds that grew up with the show do college thesis and deep investigations why a 28 year old show is not the same as it was 25 years ago. The show is 28 years old. That means those actors who probably have the most impact on those scripts are in their 50s and 60s. Julie Kavner is 67 years old and her and the rest of the main staff are still putting out a good product while everything in pop culture has change a million times over and where todays parents are allowing their kids to have smart phones with instagram and snapchat accounts at 8 years old. Of course Bart Simpson is not parents number one enemy anymore so the show as a whole doesn't have that type of impact anymore nor should it...

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
I'm probably the only one who never wants it to end.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
I don't agree with him when he said that season eight was odd. I mean, yeah, it looked a little weak compared to seasons 2-7, but that season was loaded with too many classics ("You Only Move Twice," "A Milhouse Divided," "Hurricane Neddy," "Homer's Enemy," "The Mysterious Voyage of Homer," "The Springfield Files") to say that it was the beginning of a new show. Season nine was where things really started to change.

But the way he broke down how the jokes were written back then versus how they're written now was spot on. The classic writers used to work until late at night every night to get the scripts like they were. They write jokes more like every other sitcom now instead of having that special uniqueness to them.

Threnody

Superstar
Daps
They should have aged the simpsons by five years every ten years that would have kept it fresh

Notorious 1 E.Y.E.

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the low end. southside chi
the quality of the writing took a nose dive
they made the family depressing
bart is crying all the time..
homer is below retarded ... he used to just be dumb with good intentions
lisa is always depressed and for some reason has no friends now .... she had hella friends
marge is a fukking oblivious moron .... she used to be smart and the voice of reason

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
she was friends with all girls in her class and the girls in barts class
eh, on and off, but it's not consistent enough to say she had hella friends.

more often than not they'd steer her as being too smart to have friends...or if the episode called for friends they'd only be friends for the episode or as a plot device. I'd say the only real consistent friend is Janey...but even then she's treated lisa inconsistently.