[VGC] Hellblade 2 Could Be Xbox's Most Important Exclusive

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
You’re gonna sit here and tell me it was such a big important playstation exclusive?

It hit 1 million sales over a year later across 3 platforms.

In comparison Sifu hit 1 million in 3 weeks on 2

I think the game was only used for some console war stuff, but it wasn't a commercial success or anything. Critics may have liked it, but don't think many people cared for the game back then. It was always one of those I'll wait for a sale type of game, but never end up purchasing. I think it's foolish for people to hype up the game like that because it's not a franchise with mass appeal. Maybe it gets engagement due to gamepass, but I am not expecting much in that regard for Hellblade, and that's okay

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
1st :

Insomniac leaks reveal they're targeting Hellblade 2 graphic fidelity for Wolverine.

Then :

Now :
Sony Stan Gaming Media :
42swv8.jpg

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think the game was only used for some console war stuff, but it wasn't a commercial success or anything. Critics may have liked it, but don't think many people cared for the game back then. It was always one of those I'll wait for a sale type of game, but never end up purchasing. I think it's foolish for people to hype up the game like that because it's not a franchise with mass appeal. Maybe it gets engagement due to gamepass, but I am not expecting much in that regard for Hellblade, and that's okay

IGN gave it a 9/10
Polygon gave it a 8.5/10
EGM gave it a 8.5/10
Gamespot gave it a 8/10

And even then, these are OK scores. The game over performed because it felt like the first “big budget indie” game that came out at the time. Most of what I heard about it at release as how good the graphics were, the mental health stuff, and that if you die enough the game erases your save (which wasn’t true)

The game sits at an 81. Again, thats like an OK indie game. It would be the equivalent of saying playstation fans were clamoring for Kena and used it as console war fodder, etc. instead of just recognizing it was a cute indie game that might have been one of the few feathers in sonys cap that year but was far from a larger talking point in console wars.

This is the year Horizon Zero Dawn came out, and sits an a 89 on metacritic, it sold 8 million copies the first year, new IP. Same year Nier Automata came out at an 89 metacritic, timed exclusive for ps4. Same year sony got their first Team Ninja game, Nioh at an 88. Uncharted Lost Legacy came out two months later lol

Give me a break on this being some big premiere playstation exclusive :mjlol:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Now we pretending Hellblade wasn’t hyped up like any/every playstation exclsuive.

It was the media darling for the year.

Sony exclusive movie game with an emotional white girl with dreads story :ohlawd:

People claimed to LOVE that game.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
And even then, these are OK scores. The game over performed because it felt like the first “big budget indie” game that came out at the time. Most of what I heard about it at release as how good the graphics were, the mental health stuff, and that if you die enough the game erases your save (which wasn’t true)

The game sits at an 81. Again, thats like an OK indie game. It would be the equivalent of saying playstation fans were clamoring for Kena and used it as console war fodder, etc. instead of just recognizing it was a cute indie game that might have been one of the few feathers in sonys cap that year but was far from a larger talking point in console wars.

This is the year Horizon Zero Dawn came out, and sits an a 89 on metacritic, it sold 8 million copies the first year, new IP. Same year Nier Automata came out at an 89 metacritic, timed exclusive for ps4. Same year sony got their first Team Ninja game, Nioh at an 88. Uncharted Lost Legacy came out two months later lol

All better scores than those places gave spider-man 2 :wow:

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
Now we pretending Hellblade wasn’t hyped up like any/every playstation exclsuive.

Sony exclusive movie game with an emotional white girl with dreads story :ohlawd:

It was a indie darling similar to how control was for remedy for sure. Idk if it was held in super high regard though.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps

Yeah, I think it was more about the success story of an indie developer creating a game that matches AAA studios technical output. I remember the audio for the game being hyped because it enhanced the experience. I felt the game was more of a tech demo more than an actual game.

It would've sold way more copies if it was hyped like other Playstation game. I felt the game was popular among the hardcore social media bubble, but people outside of that bubble didn't care for it like that, and the sales reflected that.

Anyway, that most likely doesn't matter as much for the sequel because gamepass will allow people to try out the game, so they don't have to worry too much about sales.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset

Lmao 9 and 8 are ok score? So everything below a 9 is just an OK game to you?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It would've sold way more copies if it was hyped like other Playstation game. I felt the game was popular among the hardcore social media bubble, but people outside of that bubble didn't care for it like that, and the sales reflected that.

Anyway, that most likely doesn't matter as much for the sequel because gamepass will allow people to try out the game, so they don't have to worry too much about sales.
It was hyped by the media and people talking shyt on forums as the best game out, but had zero mainstream appeal. Kinda like Alan Wake this year.