Very Important Thread: BLACKS MUST GAIN CONTROL OF OUR OWN IMAGE!!!!!!!!!

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
Growing up, there was something about The Cosby Show and A Different World.:wow: The images (both subliminal and overt) were so indelible to my young mind. :blessed:

U must be talking to me.

Looking back I can now see I was becoming a product of my environment. I don't remember if I thought things weren't reachable or if I had serious doubt in myself, forgive me, it's been that long.

But if it wasn't for my sister becoming a nurse, idk where I would be. Once she did something I was like if she can do it, why can't I? so I did it.

This all may sound strange but if u don't see people making it out and doing things it makes u feel like your not any different and u become the product of your environment.

Idk, this can just be me I guess.

4:35

"what you do for yourself, what you do to yourself and what you allow other people to do to you is based upon what you think about yourself. What you think about yourself is based upon what you've been taught about yourself. What you've been taught about yourself is based upon everything you've read, heard and seen about yourself. So when you control the radius of a man's thoughts, you can control the circumference of a man's ACTIONS. The mind cant do what it doesnt know. So controlling people's access to information is very important "

Basically what he's saying is that young black kids have the least "circumference of awareness" out of all the races when it comes to seeing positive images of themselves. The main images thats pushed onto to young black minds are negative and stereotypical ( ballplayers, street thugs and rappers). Alot of young blacks grow up thinking that they could never achieve certain things because they've never seen a black man or woman in those positions. They dont think its possible because their "circumference of awareness" is limited.

This is why its important for blacks to control our own image. We HAVE to give our youth positive and constructive images to aspire to be.

NoChillJones

Banned
Daps

4:35

"what you do for yourself, what you do to yourself and what you allow other people to do to you is based upon what you think about yourself. What you think about yourself is based upon what you've been taught about yourself. What you've been taught about yourself is based upon everything you've read, heard and seen about yourself. So when you control the radius of a man's thoughts, you can control the circumference of a man's ACTIONS. The mind cant do what it doesnt know. So controlling people's access to information is very important "

Basically what he's saying is that young black kids have the least "circumference of awareness" out of all the races when it comes to seeing positive images of themselves. The main images thats pushed onto to young black minds are negative and stereotypical ( ballplayers, street thugs and rappers). Alot of young blacks grow up thinking that they could never achieve certain things because they've never seen a black man or woman in those positions. They dont think its possible because their "circumference of awareness" is limited.

This is why its important for blacks to control our own image. We HAVE to give our youth positive and constructive images to aspire to be.

Plenty of us do...its just this false narrative that our access to entertainment somehow defines us all.

Thats the problem...and to be truthful thats your problem as well....

NoChillJones

Banned
Daps
He's just trying to do good.

Now tell me why you're so mad:ohhh:

Dude is a bullshyt artist always talking down black people and hiphop in general...but he secretly stans Eminem. He thinks our youths are to dumb to define the difference of entertainement vs reality...he beleives hiphop...black athletes..actors are a majority c00ns and or a detriment to black people....he is a confused wanna be militant but in real uncle tom ass nikka......basically....:patrice:......why are you so easily persuaded by false prophets?

NoChillJones

Banned
Daps
Any solutions? Where do we start?

Stop pushing this black people are in a "dire" situation narrative. The black race in America is one that is still growing. Many of our peers are demanding that we should have grown more by now, mostly to be competitive with our white counter parts. To them because we are not dominating we are somehow not growing as a people, but are in fact regressing in progress, which is just not true.

We are in fact growing as a people in America. The growth is slow, but to be fair the amount of growth we have achieved in just 4 decades is monumental compared to the progress of whites who had centuries of a head start on us.

Some places we can start is

1.Continue obtaining wealth and climbing out of poverty creating generational growth that remains consistent moving forward
2. Stop black shaming each other (we consistently feel like we have to beat each other down to appease some unknown God of blackness)
3. Stop listening to certain exploiters of our race who use social media platforms to appear as "leaders" when they are really just big mouth nikkas with God complexes themselves.
4. Focus on raising our kids and giving them positive reinforcements that they can directly see and hold
5. Endorse our true black leaders for who they are and what they represent which in most cases is greatness. Stop trying to make them saviors and let them be great for who they are. No man should be more of a hero to your children then you are. PERIOD.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
I agree. But, as someone in online media for years - it’s a collective creative issue.

We really need more photographers, artist, talent, outlets, videographers and a support system to do so. Meaning for an affordable price or a way we can support eachother without coming out the pocket financially but helping each other in things we are lacking in or need help with.

But, most importantly — money. Online advertising has changed drastically over the last year or so. Most black outlets are barely making it — with the emergence of IG and SnapChat people want to consume quick content - and gossip/entertainment base - and with that they want to see a certain type of content. We need to make those brands black people are brand loyal too advetise on during our shows and websites or stop supporting them until they do.

I know websites and content curtators who tried to change their continent to positive or less of the drama/gossip stuff and they went down in flames - eventually closing.

I think we just need to ensure the black image shows our diversity of interests and culture. So adding art/culture shows / websites / video - as well as history, cooking, finance/investing, parenting — every category of ones life and make sure our children and we are seeing black faces talking and educating each other about them.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
IMO, the main thing is our textbooks in the school systems. We need to inspect each textbook that is being used in the school systems in America - especially history and make sure our history and variety of images of black people and our history makers are being taught. We also need to demand reprints if we find some content that is false and not up to date or nor the entire story.

We need to fight for a mandatory African and Black American History class to be taught at every middle and high school in America. Taught by African/Black American with a history book by us that covers past and current history and culture in the continent of Africa. We also need a book that covers the Black American history, experience and culture here in America.

By doing this we are educating our (and other non-black children) children and future black generations on the diverse history and culture of Black people here and abroad.

For instance, here are a few textbooks. Check out the covers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0205...=6CFKX2NVATN2VDR047Q9&dpPl=1&dpID=51daPmr+sFL

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0131...=6CFKX2NVATN2VDR047Q9&dpPl=1&dpID=41ewqKhSzML

Now, even though enslavement was our beginning here in America. Should that be the cover of history books? It’s cool - and I’m very proud of my ancestors who had to endure evem during enslavement - we had individuals who made history and seeing picking cotton isn’t the image we should be feeding children on the front of a history book about us.

They also need to be educated a better depiction and visuals of Africa — so they are truly proud of where their ancestors came from and their blackness.

I am still researching Black history textbooks made by an Black American - when I find one I will share — but this is something we must work on and get passed into the school systems and at-homes.

jackson35

Banned
Daps
you have aspects of that. the problem here is that we dont want blacks to control shyt. blacks publish newspapers who reads them? not us. blacks have clothing line who wears them. not us. black folk are terrific chefs who eats our food? not us.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
you have aspects of that. the problem here is that we dont want blacks to control shyt. blacks publish newspapers who reads them? not us. blacks have clothing line who wears them. not us. black folk are terrific chefs who eats our food? not us.

Very true and sad.

It’s thinking the white mans water is better/cooler.

As a whole, we tend question and need white validation on our own outlets, media, historians, creatives, talent before we give them our time, support and dollars.

I am not sure how we can change adults and elders but we can start working on the mindset of new and upcoming black generations via education on our culture/history.

The Fire

way more chemical than political
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
brooklyn
why do we care what cacs think? you think you ain’t still a nikka in a suit?

jackson35

Banned
Daps
Very true and sad.

It’s thinking the white mans water is better/cooler.

As a whole, we tend question and need white validation on our own outlets, media, historians, creatives, talent before we give them our time, support and dollars.

I am not sure how we can change adults and elders but we can start working on the mindset of new and upcoming black generations via education on our culture/history.
it's not about changing minds. it's about paying attention to black folks who do the same shyt that every one else does