VA Governor Ralph Northam :ufdup:

intra vires

Glory to Michigan
Daps
Reppin
The Catholepistemiad
Hey. I'll take 3 white people calling for reparations. White man wears blackface in racist 80s VA, now calls for reparations in the 21st century. Helps out the struggle. (no sarcasm)

Right? @Call Me James

Right now it's just rhetoric. If Steve King called for reparations to make up for being a white supremacist, would you care? If you know there's nothing behind the rhetoric it's meaningless.

Of course, Northam doesn't have to resign... so if he going to squat in the office, then I'd rather he do something productive for the black community.

If he's really about it, then he should declare himself an Independent and then govern like a Democrat.

The Democratic Party needs to be able to distance themselves from him, while simultaneously keeping the Republicans away from controlling the General Assembly and Governorship.

I know liberals like to pat themselves on the back for maintaining some type of moral high ground that only applies to the party, but does anyone really trust the Republicans with all that power?

C'mon now its 2020 can't get fooled again.

Daps
because the democratic party in virginia is FUKKED if he doesnt. we all know the republican voters here are gonna support their politicians no matter what. right now the democrats are in a really dangerous position because they have two scandals now that threaten some of their most important voting bases in virginia - liberal women and black virginians.

We know that. My point is what makes you think HE gives half a fukk about that?

The Dem party was in a potentially fantastic position if he resigned last Friday cuz then Fairfax could have essentially served 3 consecutive terms. This was before these latest accusations became national news. And Northam still chose to ride it out and try to cling to power.

Now when it looks like everyone who was clammering for him to resign is also stuck between a rock and a hard place, he's suddenly gonna do what's best for the party? A guy who up until 10yrs ago was a Republican? :childplease:

Trust blackface wearing lying former Republicans to take one for the team brehs.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
If they do they've completely lost the moral high ground on these issues and we should just pack up 2020 now. There is no way a nominee can campaign with this shyt show taking place.

I agree with you but since it’s VA it’s tough!

If Northam could appoint a new Lt. Gov it’s one thing but this is an elected one. VA doesn’t have the ticket on one line they’re on separate ones. I believe the State Senate Leader who is GOP discharges the position once a special election is held in November to cover the remaining 2 years.

Here’s the thing though. Dems won big in 2017. If both Northam and Fairfax resign, you cede state government completely over to the GOP and lose out on a say in redestricting.

The Dems have good candidates all around running this year so they can still flip both houses in November. GOP has a weak bench.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
I agree with you but since it’s VA it’s tough!

If Northam could appoint a new Lt. Gov it’s one thing but this is an elected one. VA doesn’t have the ticket on one line they’re on separate ones. I believe the State Senate Leader who is GOP discharges the position once a special election is held in November to cover the remaining 2 years.

Here’s the thing though. Dems won big in 2017. If both Northam and Fairfax resign, you cede state government completely over to the GOP and lose out on a say in redestricting.

The Dems have good candidates all around running this year so they can still flip both houses in November.
Chances you gotta be willing to take. If I'm not mistaken VA is still in fed court over gerrymandering so new districts will be rewritten for the 2020 election.

The problem is that the old guard in VA that allowed Northam into the party don't want to take responsibility for the current state of affairs. So while I see the top 3 leaving as a good sign for a complete change in power, they look at it as an electoral defeat.

You cannot go into 2020 allowing anyone that green lit these people anywhere near campaign activities or agenda setting. You either tank correctly or live in purgatory as a .500 club in the east. The time is now to create a new VA.

There are 5,666,962 registered voters in VA. 3,374,382 (59.5%) voted in the midterms and 3,984,631 (72.05%) voted in the presidential election. Why don't they worry about closing that 28% gap? Because the old guard lacks vision and therefore the ability to lead. I'm being optimistic of course.

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
The thing is, if news rooms and journalism wasn't being gutted by thousands we would be reading these stories x 50 every week:

yeah the funding for state politics beat is one of the areas (along with investigative) that have suffered most in the last fifteen years with paper closures and downsizing. issues like this are basically a combination of those beats