Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
Elected senator within a democracy :dwillhuh:
read between the lines breh

giphy.gif

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
Perhaps the closest any entity has come close to a pure democracy was sixth century Athens?
I'm honestly not sure you may be more well versed than I am. I just can't believe people let these white supremacist trick them lol.

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
What we need is a tyrant :demonic:

Elites and aristocrats like Plato hate Tyrants:demonic:

Daps
I'm honestly not sure you may be more well versed than I am. I just can't believe people let these white supremacist trick them lol.

I believe sixth century Athens was closest to a pure democracy. It originated in response to Solon's reforms after the Laws of Draco.

There some really good books that give in-depth descriptions of various forms of government.

One of the more interesting treatises on the matter is authored by Baron de Montesquieu, The Spirit of the Laws.

The oldest form of government is, of course, a monarchy. Republics (Latin: res publica or "a thing public") tend to develop after the fall (or forced removal) of monarchies.

If you will note with the executive branch of government in the US: the presidency or governorship resembles a monarchy.
The executive branch also holds a shadow office i.e. the office of dictator when activated during states of emergency.

The Senate resembles and oligarchy.
The House resembles a representative democracy.
In the original design of the government, the Senate represented the States and the House represented the people.

The US's tripartite form of government is actually several different forms of government in one with crossed checks and balances against each other.

The judiciary resembles a kritarchy.

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
I believe sixth century Athens was closest to a pure democracy. It originated in response to Solon's reforms after the Laws of Draco.

There some really good books that give in-depth descriptions of various forms of government.

One of the more interesting treatises on the matter is authored by Baron de Montesquieu, The Spirit of the Laws.

The oldest form of government is, of course, a monarchy. Republics (Latin: res publica or "a thing public") tend to develop after the fall (or forced removal) of monarchies.

If you will note with the executive branch of government in the US: the presidency or governorship resembles a monarchy.
The executive branch also holds a shadow office i.e. the office of dictator when activated during states of emergency.

The Senate resembles and oligarchy.
The House resembles a representative democracy.
In the original design of the government, the Senate represented the States and the House represented the people.

The judiciary resembles a kritarchy.
Yeah I've said for years the Senate shouldn't exist imo.

Daps
Yeah I've said for years the Senate shouldn't exist imo.

The Senate was originally intended to represent the States.
This was changed with the passage of 16th Amendment.

The original design came about from the compromises between the mercantalist North and the agragarian South with regard to representation in the public corporation titled government of the United States.

Daps

The founders seemed to have loathed democracy (partly due to fear of being overthrown by the majority by way of the ballot box seizing control of government)...

... but republicanism isn't all its cracked up to be either i.e. slavery, land grabbing, invasions, revolts, successions et al ....

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
The founders seemed to have loathed democracy (partly due to fear of being overthrown by the majority by way of the ballot box seizing control of government)...

... but republicanism isn't all its cracked up to be either i.e. slavery, land grabbing, invasions, revolts, successions et al ....
I understand what you are saying but we do have a form of democracy though not a direct one obviously which some posters seem to think is the only form.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
It's just republicans trying to control language by changing the curriculum. When I was in school they always boasted about how awesome america's democracy was. No one ever talked about how awesome a constitutional republic was.

Again, with George Bush's war in Iraq all of the conservative pundits were talking about how democracy would spread there and thus end terrorism (anybody else remember that nation building propaganda?). Even going back to the cold war it was always democracy vs communism. Not the constitutional republic vs communism.

but around 2010 republican school districts started to subtlety change the language in text books.

Texas school board approves controversial textbook changes - Need to Know | PBS

According to the Associated Press,

In one of the most significant curriculum changes, the board diluted the rationale for the separation of church and state in a high school government class, noting that the words were not in the Constitution and requiring students to compare and contrast the judicial language with the First Amendment’s wording.

The board also required that the U.S. be referred to as a “constitutional republic” rather than a “democratic” one.

Conservative panel members argued that the state curriculum had long been dominated by liberal ideas, and it was aiming to reverse the trend

That was happening in a lot places around the country.

I guess people are buying into the new programming

THIS THIS THIS.

Dumbasses talking like we didn't just spend 50 years claiming we were in an existential war between "Communism and Democracy".

Dumbasses talking like we didn't spend the next 20 years after that claiming we were "helping to spread democracy around the world".

Imagine some senator stepping in saying, "But we're not spreading democracy, we're spreading republics!" :mjlol:

But NOW we're suddenly not a democracy anymore and selectively quoting "founding fathers" who didn't even allow Black men, women, or non-propertied white men to vote and who didn't directly elect senators OR the president. :mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:

And they say, "But we were taught that in school!" without even bothering to ask WHY they were taught that in school.

Let someone who didn't even live in a system remotely like ours define that system for you brehs. :francis:

Daps
I understand what you are saying but we do have a form of democracy though not a direct one obviously which some posters seem to think is the only form.

Is it really when some Caucasians do all that they can to thwart, hinder, abrogate African-Americans right to vote?

Democracy is government by the people. Our "democracy" seems to be more of an oligarchic, plutocractic corpratocracy .....

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
Is it really when some Caucasians do all that they can to thwart, hinder, abrogate African-Americans right to vote?

Democracy is government by the people. Our "democracy" seems to be more of an oligarchic, plutocractic corpratocracy .....
Oh I agree with you the system is corrupt as fukk and needs serious reform.

Daps
Let someone who didn't even live in a system remotely like ours define that system for you brehs. :francis:

From a legal perspective, the interpretation of a legal document will be conducted by way of the author's intent.

Intent involves defining.

I can concur with the term constitutional republic. That is most descriptive of this form of government of the several States and of the United States.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
We're at the point where Republicans have seen the writing on the wall and know they have no chance in a Democracy.

Republicans have lost the popular vote for president in 6 of the last 7 elections.

Republicans lost the total popular vote for the House by TEN MILLION votes in 2018, 60.5 million to 50.8 million.

Republicans have lost the popular vote in the last 3 Senate elections by a combined total of 124.5 million to just 96 million.

However, despite all those massive losses.....

The electoral college is so arbitrary and biased in favor of low-population states that Republicans only have to win 45-46% of the vote to gain the presidency.

The Senate is so biased in favor of low-population states that Republicans have a 53-47 lead despite having lost the last 3 elections by nearly 30 million combined votes. Mitch McConnell is such a colossal shythead that he claims the 2018 election was a pro-Republican referendum even though Republican candidates were outvoted by a massive 52.26 million to 34.72 million margin in that election.

Even the House is so gerrymandered that back in 2016, when Republicans lost the popular tally by over a million votes (63.2 million to 61.8 million), they still managed to come away with a huge 241 to 194 majority!

Republicans loved talking about democracy in the Cold War. They loved talking about democracy in 9/11. They loved talking about democracy in the Iraq War. But they're scared shytless that this is becoming a majority-minority country, they know they have fukk-all a chance of winning a majority in a nation where the Black and Brown vote is significant, and so they're doing everything possible to de-sensitize us to the idea that people's votes matter.

Don't carry their fukking water for them just because they wrote your school curriculum.

Daps
We're at the point where Republicans have seen the writing on the wall and know they have no chance in a Democracy.

Republicans have lost the popular vote for president in 6 of the last 7 elections.

Republicans lost the total popular vote for the House by TEN MILLION votes in 2018, 60.5 million to 50.8 million.

Republicans have lost the popular vote in the last 3 Senate elections by a combined total of 124.5 million to just 96 million.

However, despite all those massive losses.....

The electoral college is so arbitrary and biased in favor of low-population states that Republicans only have to win 45-46% of the vote to gain the presidency.

The Senate is so biased in favor of low-population states that Republicans have a 53-47 lead despite having lost the last 3 elections by nearly 30 million combined votes. Mitch McConnell is such a colossal shythead that he claims the 2018 election was a pro-Republican referendum even though Republican candidates were outvoted by a massive 52.26 million to 34.72 million margin in that election.

Even the House is so gerrymandered that back in 2016, when Republicans lost the popular tally by over a million votes (63.2 million to 61.8 million), they still managed to come away with a huge 241 to 194 majority!

Republicans loved talking about democracy in the Cold War. They loved talking about democracy in 9/11. They loved talking about democracy in the Iraq War. But they're scared shytless that this is becoming a majority-minority country, they know they have fukk-all a chance of winning a majority in a nation where the Black and Brown vote is significant, and so they're doing everything possible to de-sensitize us to the idea that people's votes matter.

Don't carry their fukking water for them just because they wrote your school curriculum.

You are right. I concur strongly.

Social engineering.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
THIS THIS THIS.

Dumbasses talking like we didn't just spend 50 years claiming we were in an existential war between "Communism and Democracy".

Dumbasses talking like we didn't spend the next 20 years after that claiming we were "helping to spread democracy around the world".

Imagine some senator stepping in saying, "But we're not spreading democracy, we're spreading republics!" :mjlol:

But NOW we're suddenly not a democracy anymore and selectively quoting "founding fathers" who didn't even allow Black men, women, or non-propertied white men to vote and who didn't directly elect senators OR the president. :mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:

And they say, "But we were taught that in school!" without even bothering to ask WHY they were taught that in school.

:russ::russ::russ:

But for real I'm kinda surprised how easy it was for them to switch up the message AND actually have people buy into it.

It's like that scene in animal farm where where the pigs had the other animals buy into the slogan that some animals were more equal than others :mjpls: