US does prisoner exchange with Russia (free's random cac instead of Britney Griner)

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Kinda wild to me that it took them three years to negotiate the release of a marine veteran who served in the Presidential Guard to the point the guy now has serious health issues from spending 3 years in a Russian labor camp, but posters here are pretending that they had some pathway to magically get Griner released in just two months. Knowing how slow these negotiations go they probably had Reed's deal 90% done before Griner was even arrested (it's tough to believe that they suddenly found the good will to get a deal completed right in the middle of a fukking war).

Paul Whelan another ex-marine has been locked up in Russia since 2018 and they haven't gotten him out either.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
What does it matter if she is more known?
She was only considered because they determined that she was wrongfully arrested. I haven't seen why they think that though

Do you think she’s being held for a criminal reason or for the PR impact and pressure on the US to get her home (even if we have to do a swap)? Do you think more pressure comes from a “marine who got in a bar fight” or an athlete with national name recognition?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Do you think she’s being held for a criminal reason or for the PR impact and pressure on the US to get her home (even if we have to do a swap)? Do you think more pressure comes from a “marine who got in a bar fight” or an athlete with national name recognition?

I honestly think they were both hemmed up for the same reason (my assumption that Russia purposely targeting ex-military Americans for arrest and prisoner exchanges), but her national recognition will lead to more pressure as much on Russia's end as on America's, and there will be a deal done and she'll get released a lot faster than this guy did. It's just that they're been working on his shyt for 3 years while her process has barely started.

Youngdev

Superstar
Daps
More importantly, where are WNBA players screaming and protesting for Brittney Griner? :mjpls:

When the story first broke everyone was told to be quiet about it

also the wnba was pretty much the first league to protest police killings

shyt maya moore stopped playing basketball and freed an innocent black man from jail

Last edited:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Kinda wild to me that it took them three years to negotiate the release of a marine veteran who served in the Presidential Guard to the point the guy now has serious health issues from spending 3 years in a Russian labor camp, but posters here are pretending that they had some pathway to magically get Griner released in just two months. Knowing how slow these negotiations go they probably had Reed's deal 90% done before Griner was even arrested (it's tough to believe that they suddenly found the good will to get a deal completed right in the middle of a fukking war).

Paul Whelan another ex-marine has been locked up in Russia since 2018 and they haven't gotten him out either.
Exactly

It has nothing to do with her. They had been negotiating for years for these other Marines.