“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Just got back from seeing this. It was scary af :dayumn:

Got a little busy at the end, but overall was a very scary, suspenseful flick. Jordan Peele really has a way with crafting these films

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO

:snoop: YOU COLI nikkaS NEVER FAIL TO AMAZE ME.

:mjlol:nikkaS REALLY SAYING THE SON WAS SWAPPED OUT
WHEN EVERYTHING IS STARING YOU RIGHT IN THE FACE.

DO YOU SEE THE WAY THAT KID
WAS STARING AT HIS MOM IN THE END?

THE REAL ADEL TOLD HIM THE TRUTH.
:devil:
:evil:

Justise M

Superstar
Daps
Spoilers
I just saw it. I called it,
about the switch from the beginning

Last edited by a moderator:

High Society

MY Kind of People
Daps
Reppin
The Country Club
I didn't say I dont like the discussion. Yall nikkas is entertaining and funny as hell. I know peele probably aint the type, but it would be comedy if he just came out in the future and was like ,"nah" to most of these reaching theories. Like
how can the son not be the original when the tethered mom cant even talk correctly herself? We expect a swapped son to speak perfect english?
kids learn quickly my dude. im pretty sure tethered adel learned quickly with no reference at all until she got up top.

i also think an interesting perspective was that kids are hella innocent in all the fukkery in the world so thats why the two sons were able to get along/mimick each other.

THE REAL ADEL TOLD HIM THE TRUTH.
:devil:
:evil:

it probably did happen but you are guessing that just like everyone else guessing their ideas tho :dead:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Test screening review from back in December. Some would have changed the movie for worse....some might have been for better :patrice:

Spoilers obviously
I saw a test screening for 'Us' back in December(like two weeks before the first trailer, so we had no idea about the movie other than the small synopsis) and there are some things that were different from the final theatrical release. Mostly minor and one major.

-There was no text about tunnels in the beginning of the movie in the cut I saw, just straight into the hands across america commercial.

-In the beginning at the park, they never really showed Adelaide's parents faces, the were always off screen or out of focus. Not sure of the significance of this change.

-After younger Adelaide sees her Clone, it cuts straight to the psychs office discussing about her lack of communication.

-When they family sees the 11:11 homeless guy in the ambulance, this was cut after the beach instead of before. This probably was a better choice as people could have mistaken the beach clone and regular guy as the same person.

-In our version they didn't show them finding the hidden key, Adelaide does mention it, before gabe rushes to stop them from opening the door.

-We didn't see Clone Gabe actually be gutted by the boat(special effects were probably not finished in our version).

-Instead of 'fukk the Police' by NWA, it was 'Roxanne' by the Police.

-Biggest change from the version I saw, Red never gave her ex-positional speech about cloning. Just her talking about knowing ballet because of Adelaide. There was only shots of the switch with Red and Adelaide. I like this cut more as it let the viewer draw their own conclusions.

-No final shot of Jason staring Adelaide.

-No shot of Adelaide's parents fighting in the car at all, also no shot of her sinister smile in the cut I saw.

-The were likely not ready for the test screening, but there were no helicopters or fires in the final shot.

-I assume that most of the music wasn't ready for editing for the test screening, so the placeholder music was from 'Signs'. Thought it was an interesting choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
:manny: You the first person I seen that thinks it’s important to know how the cloning took place. That question not even important tbh. You never even get to see who was doing the cloning, so the science of how they did it don’t matter to me

Yeah, that part doesn't even matter really...all we needed to know for the story is that they exist and they mirror actual folks.

Which imo makes sense seeing as how they feed on "White Rabbit".

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
To me, Peele reminds me of Kendrick. get out was his gkmc. And Us is his TPab. Interpret as you will depending on how you see those albums.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
From another board. Great understanding of the movie. :wow:
Obviously the twist at the end is going to divide people, but I think it's important to understand why it was done. This wasn't an M Night Shyamalan twist for the sake of it.
The twist was critical to the story. Without it, there is no depth to the story.

The hidden subtext of Get Out is that white progressives carry their own brand of racism, different from white conservatives.

What’s the hidden subtext to US?

It’s that those we think of as our enemies are really just…us. They may be disaffected, they may not be as privileged, but they are still people. They are, as Adelaide’s Red Character calls her people, “Americans.” This isn’t a black vs white thing, either: Since the movie has a hilarious and riveting sequence showing the “other” versions of the family’s white friends. Anyone can be disaffected.

The point here is that there are a lot of “us” in our society that we have chosen not to see. They live in slums, sleep under cardboard, and beg for scraps. But they are us. They’re not some other people. They’re not our enemies, at least not inherently.

The message of the movie is: We shouldn’t divide ourselves into groups because we are all people. If the Adelaide character who torments the family in the movie was just another subterranean monster then the movie is just an “us” vs “them” story. Instead, a person who lived down there switched places and spent most of her life “up here.” She learned to talk, to laugh, to love. She proved that if everyone had the same chance to live as she did, everyone could be just as happy as she is.

That’s what’s so amazing about the movie: For 99% of it, you’re conditioned to think of the red-clad people as the bad guys, but the whole premise of the movie is false (on purpose). Those “bad guys” are doing bad things but the people aren’t bad, inherently; they’re bad because they were brought up that way, raised to be bitter and resentful against those who had it easy. The film’s use of the cheesy Hands Across America gimmick highlights that idea: A bunch of privileged people held hands one afternoon to “raise awareness” for underprivileged people. And after they were done holding hands, they went back to their nice homes and comfortable lives…and forgot that everyone else still had problems.

That’s a hard truth to think about, but it’s a truth nonetheless, and it's what Peele is telling us with the movie.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Test screening review from back in December. Some would have changed the movie for worse....some might have been for better :patrice:

Spoilers obviously
Interesting. I would have liked there not being an ex-positional speech so we could put the pieces together. Maybe Peele just wanted to go a safer route and provide the audience with more clarity at the end.