“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
The 10 Films Jordan Peele Had Lupita Nyong’o Watch Before Filming ‘Us’ Included ‘Martyrs’

The 10 Films Jordan Peele Had Lupita Nyong’o Watch Before Filming ‘Us’ Included ‘Martyrs’
December 26, 2018
By John Squires

We now know the plot and we’ve seen the trailer, but we still know very little about Jordan Peele‘s next horror movie Us, which looks to be a home invasion film centered on creepy doppelgangers known as “The Tethered.” Peele created his own monster and monster mythology for the film, and we can be pretty sure it’s all going to go to some very wild places.

What may give us more of an idea of what we can expect from Us, before it arrives in theaters early next year, is a list of 10 horror films that Peele had his star watch before filming began. Peele revealed the list in a chat with EW, letting the site know that he assigned Lupita Nyong’o with watching everything from The Shining to Martyrs.

To develop a “shared language” with the actress, the list included…
  • Dead Again
  • The Shining
  • The Babadook
  • It Follows
  • A Tale of Two Sisters
  • The Birds
  • Funny Games
  • Martyrs
  • Let the Right One In
  • The Sixth Sense
Set in present day along the iconic Northern California coastline, Us, from Monkeypaw Productions, stars Oscar winner Lupita Nyong’o as Adelaide Wilson, a woman returning to her beachside childhood home with her husband, Gabe (Black Panther’s Winston Duke), and their two children (Shahadi Wright Joseph, Evan Alex) for an idyllic summer getaway.

Haunted by an unexplainable and unresolved trauma from her past and compounded by a string of eerie coincidences, Adelaide feels her paranoia elevate to high-alert as she grows increasingly certain that something bad is going to befall her family.

After spending a tense beach day with their friends, the Tylers (Emmy winner Elisabeth Moss, Tim Heidecker, Cali Sheldon, Noelle Sheldon), Adelaide and her family return to their vacation home. When darkness falls, the Wilsons discover the silhouette of four figures holding hands as they stand in the driveway. Us pits an endearing American family against a terrifying and uncanny opponent: doppelgängers of themselves.

Universal has dated Us for March 15, 2019.
Couldnt remember the name but those insane asylumn scenes remind of the Shining. He will probably use thr wide lens too like the Shining

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
To develop a “shared language” with the actress, the list included…
  • The Shining

giphy.gif

GoldCoastSaint

Yall nikkas hate everything but Tariq Nasheed
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
Someone on twitter said that couldve been a plot point. I think Ill go with that. Ive never met any Black Africans (raised in African culture) who dont understanding rhythm and timing, if youve ever been to any African themed function ever, it seems like an impossibility.

Ive seen vid of Lupita dancing with other African actors and she absolutely has rhythm. She's purposely offbeat in Us.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So.....

The writer director is mixed married to a white woman but he wrote one hell of a pro black movie with us.

Man I can't wait until people on Twitter get mad

Omerta

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OZ via El Barrio
Wan's latest efforts does not remove the great work he has done for the horror genre before that, where he single handedly was keeping a genre afloat. Get Out is better than anything he has done, but that doesn't remove the 3 or 4 classics he has. Also Saw was a game changer as well.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Random thoughts:

1. As someone that's been a fan of horror and hip-hop since the early 80's....that flip of "I Got 5 On It" is one of the best things I've ever heard.

2. As far as "woke Twitter" over thinking the trailer....
rDpQOao.png
it's just the nature of the internet, for better or worse.

3. As far as the whole Peele vs Wan debate.....Wan does deserve credit for helping bring horror back but it is definitely possible that he has already been surpassed by Peele, even off one project. And before people get upset, there is precedent for this in horror specifically. Stephen King had to admit Clive Barker eclipsed him as soon as "The Books Of Blood" came out....and this was 80's King in his prime. And he wasn't alone in his assessment of Barker's skill set:

https://people.com/

4. Barring any unforeseen circumstances I'm going to see this opening week end. This is (so far, anyway) the movie I'm most excited about of 2019.

Fred.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Random thoughts:

1. As someone that's been a fan of horror and hip-hop since the early 80's....that flip of "I Got 5 On It" is one of the best things I've ever heard.

2. As far as "woke Twitter" over thinking the trailer....
rDpQOao.png
it's just the nature of the internet, for better or worse.

3. As far as the whole Peele vs Wan debate.....Wan does deserve credit for helping bring horror back but it is definitely possible that he has already been surpassed by Peele, even off one project. And before people get upset, there is precedent for this in horror specifically. Stephen King had to admit Clive Barker eclipsed him as soon as "The Books Of Blood" came out....and this was 80's King in his prime. And he wasn't alone in his assessment of Barker's skill set:

https://people.com/

4. Barring any unforeseen circumstances I'm going to see this opening week end. This is (so far, anyway) the movie I'm most excited about of 2019.

Fred.

Agree on 1

3. Yeah POSSIBLE but I don't see it yet. Not saying the shyt isn't possible of happening but I need to see more