“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Yeah I’m done. It’s why I came in here late.

Going to be a lot of projecting and theorizing based on not much. nikkas want to ruin movies for themselves before they even drop the be mad at the movie for being “predictable”...that’s like Sherlock Holmes being mad at a criminal for getting caught.

Also @hex can we merge these threads? Just throw this one in the one the other homie made since Dom clearly ain’t coming back to run his thread

I can try but for some reason whenever threads are merged it credits whoever started the earliest thread.

EDIT: :francis:

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
Miami Beach, the 305
He produced the nun he ain’t direct it :whoa:

And I love the conjuring and its sequel. Along with insidious and the first saw.

And objectively, he’s been the most influential voice in horror since 2004. He created Saw, which spawned one of the most successful horror franchises ever. He then did insidious, which helped put Blumhouse on the map and created so many imitators. Then upped the ante with the conjuring, which let big studios know it was okay to have big budget horror again and not restrict it to indies.

This isn’t to shyt on Jordan at all. I just think he’s gotta show that same consistency and impact and won’t get that crown off one movie and a trailer for a second. Not when Wan has proven to consistently put out quality flicks that are proven box office winners and created horror franchises that are also big time box office. That’s a huge deal.

Peele already has surpassed Wan off the fact he has received achievements in the highest form of critically acclaim you can receive. He’s won a fukin academy award and several other awards off his first huge success. Wan has basically accumulated mainstream box office success like a Michael Bay for horror. If that’s what you rather have distinguish yourself fine by me but I’ll take the accolades over blockbuster success. Conjuring is not that good a movie either. First insidious I’ll give you. And Saw 1. But Get Out was on some ground breaking shyt. The whole world recognized its creative and originality. Peele is going nowhere. And neither is Wan. But I don’t consider Wan anything more than a flash in the pan mainstream horror guy.

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
Peele already has surpassed Wan off the fact he has received achievements in the highest form of critically acclaim you can receive. He’s won a fukin academy award and several other awards off his first huge success. Wan has basically accumulated mainstream box office success like a Michael Bay for horror. If that’s what you rather have distinguish yourself fine by me but I’ll take the accolades over blockbuster success. Conjuring is not that good a movie either. First insidious I’ll give you. And Saw 1. But Get Out was on some ground breaking shyt. The whole world recognized its creative and originality. Peele is going nowhere. And neither is Wan. But I don’t consider Wan anything more than a flash in the pan mainstream horror guy.
If Saw came out in the social media era...sheeeeeeiiiiiit.

I think you’re not giving Wan enough credit. Michael Bay? That’s a bit of an insult IMO.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

Yeah nah I can’t go there. I’ve stated my case for Wan so no need to go back into it. But peele getting an award for his screenplay doesn’t elevate him past Wan in my mind. At all. Johnathan Demme got an Oscar for silence of the lambs but he didn’t suddenly become a more influential voice in horror than his contemporaries who didn’t even get nominated.

Again I’m not just arguing qualify of the flicks; I’m talking impact. Regardless of how you feel about saw or insidious or the conjuring or whatever he’s done, he’s put his stamp on the genre and created trends that have defined it. He’s created franchises that defined it. Calling him flash in the pan when he’s done it since 2004 doesn’t even sound right. Most directors don’t get a 5 year career; he’s been doing this for 14

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
If Saw came out in the social media era...sheeeeeeiiiiiit.

I think you’re not giving Wan enough credit. Michael Bay? That’s a bit of an insult IMO.

Exactly lol. Comparing him to Michael bay? Bay hasn’t set any trends in Hollywood or created long running franchises from the ground up

Daps
Reppin
Miami Beach, the 305
Exactly lol. Comparing him to Michael bay? Bay hasn’t set any trends in Hollywood or created long running franchises from the ground up

Lollllll are u high. Any trends??? I’m not even gonna answer this question. Whether you respect the trends he set is another thing but like it or not Bay has substantially made trends for decadesssss with an S. For better or worse you see them in countless action Movies. I just never considered Wan anything more than popcorn horror. He has nothing remotely close to what Peele achieved in Get Out. To each their own though.

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
Never understood how people discussing, projecting, even dropping spoilers on a movie...spoiled a movie for people.

:yeshrug:Me personally....you can break down EVERY detail of the movie and I still enjoy the movie.
i think people like to be surprised...

like my homie guessed the ending of Split....and when it happened it had 0 impact for me...i did enjoy the movie and anticipate the next but him randomly guessing the ending at work earlier in the day kinda fukked up my overall experience.

Daps
Reppin
Miami Beach, the 305
Yeah nah I can’t go there. I’ve stated my case for Wan so no need to go back into it. But peele getting an award for his screenplay doesn’t elevate him past Wan in my mind. At all. Johnathan Demme got an Oscar for silence of the lambs but he didn’t suddenly become a more influential voice in horror than his contemporaries who didn’t even get nominated.

Again I’m not just arguing qualify of the flicks; I’m talking impact. Regardless of how you feel about saw or insidious or the conjuring or whatever he’s done, he’s put his stamp on the genre and created trends that have defined it. He’s created franchises that defined it. Calling him flash in the pan when he’s done it since 2004 doesn’t even sound right. Most directors don’t get a 5 year career; he’s been doing this for 14

I stopped when you eluded to Lambs as horror. You really went back to 1991 to make this rebuttal wow. Look no hate and all but Wan is decent at best to me. He has two maybe three solid films under his belt. But Get Out was a masterpiece. Now Wan making corny flicks like Aquaman and that’s fine. This is where my Bay reference comes from. He’s always been a mainstream box office successful director. And that is fine. I wouldn’t consider him critically acclaimed.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I stopped when you eluded to Lambs as horror. You really went back to 1991 to make this rebuttal wow. Look no hate and all but Wan is decent at best to me. He has two maybe three solid films under his belt. But Get Out was a masterpiece. Now Wan making corny flicks like Aquaman and that’s fine. This is where my Bay reference comes from. He’s always been a mainstream box office successful director. And that is fine. I wouldn’t consider him critically acclaimed.

Dude lol the point I’m making is an award doesn’t leap frog you in front of your contemporaries who don’t have that award. George Romero and carpenter and craven aren’t suddenly non factors because they never got nominated for oscars or never got them.

And Wan is plenty critically acclaimed if we’re using that as a metric.

But once again, I’m not talking about your personal opinion here. I’m talking facts. And facts are hard to argue because they’re set in stone. Wan is one of the most successful directors in horror in the past decade. He’s created a slew of copycats in his wake. That doesn’t mean I think every flick he’s done has been a home run or even a triple. But to argue saw, insidious, and the conjuring haven’t been influential in the horror landscape is wild to me.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Lollllll are u high. Any trends??? I’m not even gonna answer this question. Whether you respect the trends he set is another thing but like it or not Bay has substantially made trends for decadesssss with an S. For better or worse you see them in countless action Movies. I just never considered Wan anything more than popcorn horror. He has nothing remotely close to what Peele achieved in Get Out. To each their own though.

Bay just followed what was there before him. He hasn’t set any trends. Explosions were there before him. Slow motion was there before him. Eye candy was there before him. The one thing bay added to it was his level of scope and scale. That’s not a trend. That’s his style that no one else has been able to imitate and don’t even try to.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
PM me breh
Dont do it to yourself breh
tenor.gif

Reading the plot of this film will change your experience. This isn't like reading spoilers for a comicbook movie.