Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe coming in 2017 (Cruise, Depp, Russell Crowe, Jolie?)

RajWatts

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
they goin all out :ohhh:

Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie to kick-start Universal's Monster Movie Universe?

Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie to kick-start Universal's Monster Movie Universe?

In their attempt to replicate the super successful strategy by Marvel Studios and Warner Bros, Universal Pictures seems to be going all out to create their own version of a shared cinematic universe — of monsters. First they get Tom Cruise to kick-start the project with a Mummy reboot and now, reports have confirmed that they've signed on Johnny Depp to play The Invisible Man.

According to Deadline, Depp has signed on to star in The Invisible Man, which will be a re-imagining of the 1933 original that starred Claude Rains as a scientist who discovers a way to make himself invisible, but loses his sanity in the process. (via ComicBookMovie)

The Hollywood Reporter adds that Ed Solomon (Men In Black) will likely pen the script. Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan, the architects of the Universal's Monster Movie Universe, are on-board as producers.

It definitely looks like Universal's MMU is off to a brilliant start. Cruise and Depp's global popularity is sure to bring in the kind of numbers the studio needs to make it into a full-fledged franchise. And it doesn't stop there...if earlier rumours are to be believed, this universe could get even more A-list talent as there's a strong chance Academy Award-winner Angelina Jolie will eventually join them as the Bride Of Frankenstein.

All these stars playing these interesting characters building up to an Avengers style team-up flick — just take my money already!

The Mummy reboot starring Cruise is slated to release on 9 June, 2017. The film is directed by Alex Kurtzman.

Walgreens

Be Well.
Supporter
Daps
I'm all for a relaunch of the Universal Monsters, but how do you do it? The originals were Gothic horror movies that were legitimately creepy and had eerie atmosphere. I guess they just go the Mummy series route and make everything an action-adventure movie.

I liked Dracula Untold but I know they've decided not to let that have anything to do with the reboot. I just need to see Dracula, Wolfman, and Frankenstein's Monster have some justice done to them. The rest sounds like stunt casting. Depp could work, but Cruise in a Mummy movie? :ld:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Marvel really made the blue print. Putting All sorts of batteries in these studios backs :mjlol:
To be fair Universal was doing a blended cinematic universe of their monsters back in the 40s.
They had Dracula, Frankenstein, and Wolfman interacting with one another in several "Monster Rally" movies.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I wonder what they will do for the eventual team-up movie...:jbhmm:

monster_squad.jpg

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I'm all for a relaunch of the Universal Monsters, but how do you do it? The originals were Gothic horror movies that were legitimately creepy and had eerie atmosphere. I guess they just go the Mummy series route and make everything an action-adventure movie.

I liked Dracula Untold but I know they've decided not to let that have anything to do with the reboot. I just need to see Dracula, Wolfman, and Frankenstein's Monster have some justice done to them. The rest sounds like stunt casting. Depp could work, but Cruise in a Mummy movie? :ld:

Which is hilarious because that movie was supposed to kickstart this cinematic universe and it flopped right out of the gate.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
It made over 3x its budget,thats not a flop.

Neither critics nor audiences liked the movie and it didn't even break even on its relatively 'low' budget domestically. It was meant to be the first movie in their cinematic monster universe and they've decided to drop it and start over. A movie flopping is more than just failing to "make its money back". The same way Waterworld was considered a major flop despite it making its money back, because the movie simply failed to achieve what it set out to do.