Uncle Drew Playin With The Nephews By The 7/11: Official 2017-18 Boston Celtics Season Thread

How Far Do The Celtics Go This Season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

William F. Russell

11x Champion; 5x MVP; 1st Black Coach
Supporter
Daps
Five-time NBA All-Star Kyrie Irving, a guard for the Boston Celtics who won a national championship playing with LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers against the Golden State Warriors in 2016, recently gave $8,500 to a GoFundMe campaign to raise money to help volleyball players at Monarch School travel to Vietnam and Laos. That is by far the school campaign’s biggest donor.

The San Diego Union-Tribune has confirmed with the Celtics that the donation came from Irving, who declined to say why he donated to the school or to comment more generally through a team spokeswoman.

Monarch School is a K-12 comprehensive school in San Diego designed to educate homeless youth.

“It kind of gave me a different perspective on the professional athlete and their influence,” Exodus Volleyball Club Director Jesse Pina said of Irving’s donation. “It just made us hopeful.”

Boston Celtic Kyrie Irving is helping homeless San Diego student athletes get to Vietnam, Laos

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
I rather him just take the screws out and shut it down for the season. fukk it

It seems like that would be best but pride and ego can be a problem. And that'd be one hell of a letdown in his first season with us/away from Bron.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
It seems like that would be best but pride and ego can be a problem. And that'd be one hell of a letdown in his first season with us/away from Bron.

The only way I can see it work is if the injury isn't as bad where he can hold off the surgery and it won't hurt him in the long run

Cause if we're being honest

Surgery in the offseason and missing the first 2 months of next season >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Surgery now, blow the Celtics playoff chances, but be healthy come October

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
Very good showing from our practice squad. Stealing this W against the Thunder sends a big statement to the league.

Marcus the game-winner! :GladBrad:

William Heavy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn, I just hope Kyrie's knee isn't a long term concern. He needs to get it taken care of. I have trust in Ainge as far as acquiring talent, but I don't trust him when it comes to dealing with injured players.

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
Tuesday night’s game against the Oklahoma City Thunder was a particularly difficult challenge for Boston, not just for the fact OKC is a fantastic team led by the reigning MVP Russell Westbrook: Injuries left the C’s without five of their best players in Kyrie Irving, Marcus Smart, Daniel Theis, Jaylen Brown and Gordon Hayward.

Yet Tatum rose to the challenge of leading the Celtics’ offense, pouring in a team-leading 23 points and 10 rebounds as Boston prevailed 100-99 thanks to Marcus Morris’ game-winning 3-point shot.

“We’re going to just keep throwing him to the wolves and keep going to him in those moments,” Celtics coach Brad Stevens said of Tatum after the game. “And you know, a lot of our young guys have made big plays all year, but he certainly stepped up (Tuesday) and made the huge three when (OKC) … had taken a five-point lead. And obviously (he) got to the rim all night.”

The Thunder led 87-82 with just over three minutes left in the fourth quarter. The Celtics had been in a four-minute scoring drought before Tatum came to the rescue with a super-quick move to shake Corey Brewer and drain a 3-pointer.

The 20-year-old’s play earned praise from one of the league’s biggest stars, Thunder forward Paul George, who the C’s rookie admitted is one of his “favorite players.” “He doesn’t look like a rookie,” George told reporters. “He looks like a star in this league. He has that confidence. He has that game.”

Jayson Tatum Taking His Game To Higher Level Amid Celtics’ Injury Plight

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
“I’ve been in touch with him, texting and kind of been watching him from afar, how he’s been progressing,” George said, per ESPN. “Early on, I was around him more so, sending him messages and talking to him. At this point, it looks like he’s doing really well, just watching him on the court. Now he’s shooting, doing a little bit on-court stuff.”

“The biggest thing was just letting him know what obstacles he was going to have to face with that injury. I think it helped a bit, just helping him and giving him a heads-up of what to expect. But again, he’s doing a lot better. I think at this point, he don’t need me to give him encouraging words. He knows I’ve got his back…You gotta build, go through some walls. You gotta build some confidence and trust that leg all over again. But I told him there’s going to be some good days and there’s going to be some bad days.”

Morning sports update: Paul George on Gordon Hayward’s recovery: ‘He knows I’ve got his back’

William Heavy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I swear this team is jinxed when it comes to injuries. Someone must of put a curse on Ainge. If Kyrie has arthritis we are fukked for years to come. All we need now is for Cleveland to win the lottery and have Ayton terrorize us for 15 years.:mjcry:

Adebisi_Said

Truth is Power
Daps
Reppin
New York City

I swear this team is jinxed when it comes to injuries. Someone must of put a curse on Ainge. If Kyrie has arthritis we are fukked for years to come. All we need now is for Cleveland to win the lottery and have Ayton terrorize us for 15 years.:mjcry:

If he has arthritis, then we simply let him walk next summer (no pun intended).

Time to Terry Rozier to show if he's worth a max contract.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps

So the Arthritis means he'll never be the same again, or would the surgery he needs make him at least 85% healthy?