Ubisoft to focus more on F2P games Cutting back on Single player AAA

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
These companies are gonna dig themselves an early grave going down the GAAS route instead of putting out high quality complete games.

Anthem and Avengers taught them nothing

Yeah there's only so much room for GAAS games. It's not a sustainable stategy as you're relying on a large community to support your game long term. But i guess all you need to do is strike gold once and you've got a major success.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yeah there's only so much room for GAAS games. It's not a sustainable stategy as you're relying on a large community to support your game long term. But i guess all you need to do is strike gold once and you've got a major success.

Yeah, thats what I’m sure they’re all going for. Let’s put out like 6 GAAS projects in the next 3 years, the success of one will make up for the failure of the others. Everyone wants their own fortnite.

Kind of like the MMORPG craze that happened after WoW

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
Yeah, thats what I’m sure they’re all going for. Let’s put out like 6 GAAS projects in the next 3 years, the success of one will make up for the failure of the others. Everyone wants their own fortnite.

Kind of like the MMORPG craze that happened after WoW
Yea and no one could quite get the WOW magic to work for them. Then the fortnight craze and all them companies flopped.

Any company that tries to take a once popular single player game and turn it into some gimmick money grab is dead to me.

I’m not spending my money on these half assed games. You would think Sony was showing these companies how to make single player games successful would rub off. And the failures of anthem, FO76, Avengers, etc would have told these companies to relax and stick to what they knew

The thing these companies don’t get about fortnight and WOW is they were original titles. Not BS spin-offs of single play

Also “AAA” games should have NEVER been in a yearly release cycle. It takes years to make a good AAA game. But somehow they take it out on us when they don’t get good reviews

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
Honestly, it's for the best as long as it's balanced. Let the people who wanna spend money spend money, as long as you can still reasonably play the game without micro transactions.

Right there is where they make gamers grab their ankles.

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
What I don't get is that why don't some of these companies return to making artistic/cartoon/mascot style games like Ratchet & Clank? The computing power is good enough that games made in that style will still look AMAZING and worth the purchase, but the budget won't be super huge..

EDIT: It's ironic too, because back in the day, the more cartoon/artsy looking games and also racing sims were always some of the biggest graphical showcases on consoles during the 4th and 5th and early 6th generations, because computing power and FLOPS were just as important as pure polygonal count. (Super Mario 64, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot Gran Turismo, Jak n Daxter, Panzer Dragoon, Devil May Cry, Ocarina of Time, etc.) These games had just as much praise for the innovative gameplay and fast processing speed and beautiful looking art as they did for their pure realism.

I think it's time we turn back to that, since these consoles have high TFLOPS, instant loading, and ray tracing.

Thes game developers have gotten uncreative and think that a "AAA" game has to solely be a high polygon-count open world game with NPC dialogue and an online segment. They're not taking advantage of the RAM and computing processing power these consoles have to create unique games.

Last edited:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
End of an ERA. But Ubisoft is primed for this because they have shown that they know how to successfully support and improve these kind of games for years.

Siege wasn't free, but the pricing model and in-game currency was perfect for that game to continuously make them money. They have the blueprint already

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
maybe games will be crowd funded by the fans soon. dam What a shame.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
ACVal-mtx-Helix-Credits-1a.jpg

76150_1_full-assassins-creed-valhalla-microtransaction-store-revealed_full.png