Twitter will charge $20/month for a blue check. Team tasked with implementing it has until November 7th

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Nonsense.
If you aren't paying for a service or a product you are being scammed.
people earn money and networking contacts off that platform, they do that in a lot of cases as presenting themselves as not a bot.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
it's necessary for anyone who doesn't want to be impersonated, it's necessary for anyone who losses potential income because scammers siphoned off supporters/customers. it's necessary if someone or an organization doesn't want someone tarnishing their name/brand and dealing with fabricated controversial tweets.
I get it man but I work for a news organization and have been for 21 years now. I know how cheap these guys are. I don’t see them agreeing to pay 20 dollars a month for that little blue check. My job alone has about 15 reporters before you even get to the other people in the building that you’d have to pay for. Imagine a company paying for 100 reporters just for them to keep verification. I’d imagine the people that worked hard to get it will fight it but it’s whatever. I just think it’ll be seen as a monumental waste of money, especially by companies that might get more engagement on other platforms outside of Twitter.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
imagine if instagram did this.. they could sell blue checks for $5k a year
i don't have an account on either platform and instagram is far less useful. since you basically need to have an account to view the content. very few people could justify a $5K expense on Instagram.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The content that comprises Twitter is made by the users. Then you charge the content creators to create content for your website.

He's really gonna choke Twitter to death
Where are these people going to go to post their text based content? They already have followings and influence on Twitter. People are not ditching Twitter to start making Facebook status posts. And IG isn't designed or used like Twitter is in terms of how sharing content works.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
That is a necessary expense though.. Paying to have a blue check on Twitter is not a necessary expense. I wonder if he will change his mind if people just migrate to another platform.. I mean there’s more out here to choose from than Twitter. These corporations go where the people are it’s not the other way around.
Twitter has a niche for text based news updates. Where are people migrating to for this use case?

bnew

Veteran
Daps
there is around 400,000 blue checks on twitter... 8 million per month :whoo:
theres 237 million daily active twitter users. if twitter was able to get just 5% of them verified, that would mean a minimum of $2.84 billion in annual revenue. I don't think 5% is a crazy goal.

Last edited:

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
theres 237 million daily active twitter users. if twitter was able to get just 5% of them to verified, that would mean a minimum of 2.84 billion in annual revenue. I don't think 5% is a crazy goal.

To add to that
The popular games industry news source Nibel has shut down their Twitter account, noting that they would be looking to focus their “time and energy elsewhere.” The @Nibellion account had 500,000 followers and had become well-known in the gaming space for quickly sharing the latest news across the industry, often being a source for major news outlets in the process.

Why did Nibel leave Twitter?​

Nibel reportedly revealed in a Patreon post that they would be leaving Twitter due to them being unable to generate enough revenue from the account to justify the time spent running it. Nibel wrote that they were “not able to create an interesting and sustainable Patreon” and a “reliable revenue stream,” so have decided to shut the account down and no longer share gaming news.

Nibel also noted that Elon Musk’s acquisition of Twitter also played a part in their decision. The SpaceX and Tesla CEO has made a number of controversial announcements since taking over the platform, including his intention to reduce the amount of content moderation and reported plans to charge $20 per month for “blue tick” verification.

Nibel called Musk’s purchase of Twitter “the elephant in the room” and said that he felt the platform “could die a slow death” under Musk’s leadership, questioning why they would “waste more time” using it if that was going to be the case.

Announcing their departure to their followers, Nibel tweeted:

After some intropection, I’ve made the decision to focus my time and energy elsewhere and move on from Twitter. This marks the end of my video games coverage and my active participation in this platform.
Thanks to everybody for the fun times!
Farewell,
Nibel

After the tweet, which has received over 15,000 interactions at the time of this writing, Nibel also locked their account.

Nibel had a far-reaching influence across the gaming space, often circulating major news stories just as they had broken. While not an insider or leaker in the traditional sense, Nibel would routinely be the first to a breaking story, reporting on it to their half a million followers. Their influence also saw them being parodied, including in a viral tweet implying Bloodborne PS5 would release this year.

Zime

Superstar
Daps
Being verified on Twitter meant you were somebody. like an actor/actress, musician, journalist, singer, politician, etc. It's status and prestige...that blue check...
When everybody has it, it becomes meaningless.
There are ways to have blue check even if you weren’t any of them. Some people managed to fraud their way to a blue check by just having some bs article written about them.