Essential TV Cancellations,Renewals,Ratings, Pilots And General Discussion Thread

Tigron

Superstar
Daps
CBS has always been criticized for having the least diversity of all the broadcast networks. So it looks like they're currently having a diversity push at CBS.
Which is moot because all of those shows look DOA :francis:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I dont consider network shows as peak tv

Peak tv just means a lot of tv homie. Isn’t a particular type of show. When the guy at FX coined the term he was talking about the sheer glut of television shows on air right now. Whether it’s nbc fx or Netflix.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I dont consider network shows as peak tv

Peak tv just means a lot of tv homie. Isn’t a particular type of show. When the guy at FX coined the term he was talking about the sheer glut of television shows on air right now. Whether it’s nbc fx or Netflix.

I thought TV critics/bloggers came up with the term "Peak TV". It was actually a network exec?

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I know but i'm a cable tv only snob :gandalf:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
To add to above, The Carmichael Show was an unfortunate example of this.

TCS is a Golden Era NBC show picked up in the Peak TV NBC era, when Peak TV NBC is The Good Place, Brooklyn 99, Parks & Rec etc.

The Carmichael Show if it was new right now, is 100% a CBS show, and probably a bigger hit than it was on NBC.

And to further illustrate the example of networks passing on things, NBC passed on Kimmy Schmidt around the time it picked up TCS because they didn't want to be who they should have been as a network (a place with very good but under-watched comedies) and thought Carmichael and Mulaney (clearly CBS style multi-cams) was the lick.

Now they're circling back and saying "fukk it, we are who we are - give us 99 and shyt, maybe lets reboot/restart The Office"

NBC Boss Mum On Rumored ‘The Office’ Revival

"The Mindy Project" is another example of a sitcom that NBC obviously passed on & FOX picked up.

Very good point. Will and grace will be the outlier for them. Another reason they’re begging for a new version of the west wing.

As weird as it sounds, Fox seems to be the only network right now who has a clear understanding of who they are and who they want to be: dramas, procedurals, multi cam comedies, and sports. That’s it. And that’s what they used to be when they first started. The only thing missing is a sketch comedy show
Fox really done with singlecam sitcoms?

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
"The Mindy Project" is another example of a sitcom that NBC obviously passed on & FOX picked up.

Fox really done with singlecam sitcoms?

They said they're leaning towards multi. They're cheaper to do man and Fox is going to be lean from now on. They're going to make most of their money from NFL and college football right now and they're cutting costs