Essential TV Cancellations,Renewals,Ratings, Pilots And General Discussion Thread

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
Counter to that: Netflix and Hulu are bloated in content as well and have a lot of trash. Networks have mandated set of hours to fill so there’s going to be stuff you don’t like just like there’s stuff on Hulu or Netflix or amazon I don’t bother with. So what’s the difference?

Most people I know who say they’ve cut the cord is because they don’t want to pay. It’s got jack and shyt to do with quality or perceived quality and everything to do with cable being outrageous and no one wanting to pay all that when they don’t watch half the channels being presented. Which makes all the sense in the world to me. People want to pick and choose their channels now
I, personally, wouldnt pay much for network TV, cuz they show selection has been ass for a while. maybe 99 cents a month. :russ: for me its to the point where i'd just wanna pick shows or something. shyt even with cable. i only watch the expanse on syfy, all the other shows on there are kinda whatever to me.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
That’s fair. But then like @Dominic Brehetto said you can’t complain when shyt gets cut homie. I get where you’re coming from though just think it’s the wrong hill to complain from

I think most of the syfy series should be on netflix, my greatest complaint is that most of the good syfy shows air on netflix anyways...Continuum, Dark Matter, etc etc... Then they end up getting cancelled anyways...:manny: I could care less about the major networks cancelling shows it's always the premium cable shows I got a problem with...

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I, personally, wouldnt pay much for network TV, cuz they show selection has been ass for a while. maybe 99 cents a month. :russ: for me its to the point where i'd just wanna pick shows or something. shyt even with cable. i only watch the expanse on syfy, all the other shows on there are kinda whatever to me.

Makes sense. I get the reason why and not arguing against it. But also, when shows get clapped up, leaves little room to complain about it if it’s something you love. But if you watched the expanse on air then you did your part.

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
Impossible to do when you’re an actual network tho that’s the point I’m making. Again unless you convince people to pay for something they’re used to getting for free. And then you’re only appealing to high end clientele.

Like the Wall Street journal can have a paywall for their articles because their clientele, in general, will pay for that. And if you’re in a position where you need WSJ on the reg, then you do what you gotta do for access. But USA Today isn’t doing that. It’s worked for the Washington post and the New York Times but it took a long while for it to work.

The closest we’ve gotten to a steaming network is cbs all access and the main draw there is programming not found on cbs. And as long as local networks have some ownership in those broadcast channels, it’s never going to be just like Netflix or Hulu. Netflix doesn’t have to worry about local news or local sports, or soap operas and talk shows.

It's the same reason why brick and mortar stores keep falling yet Amazon is building physical stores. If you aren't a digital company or you didn't adapt early, you're beat now.

I honestly don't know what advertisers are going to do in the future because so many people under 40 are immune to it and they'll pay 9.99 to not see advertising instead of just buying an digital antenna and watching broadcast TV FOR FREE.

Look at Crackle, it's free and has a pretty good selection for a free service yet barely anyone uses it.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I think most of the syfy series should be on netflix, my greatest complaint is that most of the good syfy shows air on netflix anyways...Continuum, Dark Matter, etc etc... Then they end up getting cancelled anyways...:manny: I could care less about the major networks cancelling shows it's always the premium cable shows I got a problem with...

Yeah they run on Netflix for syndication purposes and also in hopes of boosting their numbers when they air live. CW does that regularly. It’s why riverdale became a bigger show in season 2 than season 1 because so many people caught it on Netflix and then tuned in to watch it this fall. Same way reruns used to work back in the day.

Problem is when that formula doesn’t work, shyt gets axed

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It's the same reason why brick and mortar stores keep falling yet Amazon is building physical stores. If you aren't a digital company or you didn't adapt early, you're beat now.

I honestly don't know what advertisers are going to do in the future because so many people under 40 are immune to it and they'll pay 9.99 to not see advertising instead of just buying an digital antenna and watching broadcast TV.

Look at Crackle, it's free and has a pretty good selection for a free service yet barely anyone uses it.

It’ll all go back to the people under 40 who don’t have the means for real. For a lot of us, 9.99 here and 9.99 there ain’t a thing but there’s still people where that shyt matters and is the difference between paying a bill or not. So network tv will always be there because the cost of entry isn’t monthly. Even if you can’t afford cable you can get an antennae and do your thing that way.

Plus, sadly, there are still parts of the US that don’t even have broadband and they’re still going on 56K dial up. That person isn’t streaming shyt. Now if we had broadband around the country? That’d be a different story entirely and then I’m sure the networks would really look at that and figuring out how to capitalize on it. But for political and economic reasons, we aren’t there yet. I’m not sure how it is in other countries tho

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
It’ll all go back to the people under 40 who don’t have the means for real. For a lot of us, 9.99 here and 9.99 there ain’t a thing but there’s still people where that shyt matters and is the difference between paying a bill or not. So network tv will always be there because the cost of entry isn’t monthly. Even if you can’t afford cable you can get an antennae and do your thing that way.

Plus, sadly, there are still parts of the US that don’t even have broadband and they’re still going on 56K dial up. That person isn’t streaming shyt. Now if we had broadband around the country? That’d be a different story entirely and then I’m sure the networks would really look at that and figuring out how to capitalize on it. But for political and economic reasons, we aren’t there yet. I’m not sure how it is in other countries tho

Maybe your right. I know people under 40 who are hurting and basically only subscribe to certain streaming services every other month rather than all 12 months.

I didn't even think about areas where people don't have broadband yet. Reminds me of how WWE used to clown people for buying PPVs instead of the Network, when some people's internet can't handle the Network.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Maybe your right. I know people under 40 who are hurting and basically only subscribe to certain streaming services every other month rather than all 12 months.

I didn't even think about areas where people don't have broadband yet. Reminds me of how WWE used to clown people for buying PPVs instead of the Network, when some people's internet can't handle the Network.

Yeah and you notice Vince stopped that shyt after a while. I only think about it when I reflect on stuff I’ve read at my job or past jobs and think about things elected officials have said but it blows my mind that some parts of this country in 2018 still have dial up. But Vince being an east coast guy and a millionaire for most of his adult life, he doesn’t think in those terms. I’m sure someone smartened him up and the messaging changed. Yes it’s dumb to pay 40 or 50 when you can just pay 9.99 but that’s assuming you have the infrastructure to stream a ppv on a streaming service that just recently became stable lol.

But you’re right anyone I know under 40, myself included, has figured out what’s important to us and what’s not. So you prioritize. If you don’t watch a lot of tv then it makes no sense for you to subscribe to cable or any of the skinny streaming services like directv now. That shyt would be stupid. Part of the whole being an adult thing :francis:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't have cable so I can't dvr it...:ld: I would watch it if it was on netflix or amazon tho...

i hate the anti-bootlegger argument that people use when shows get cancelled

I'm an 80's baby...I used to watch Fresh Prince, the Cosby Show, Martin, NY Undercover, A Different World, etc. for FREE. Those shows got multiple seasons not only because they were great sitcoms, but BECAUSE THEY WERE FREE. If they were on tnt or the Oxygen, they wouldn't have gotten half the viewership and longevity.

Big corporations making these shows virtually inaccessible through rampant greed is why these shows get cancelled...PERIOD. it's ridiculous that for many of these shows, you have to have cable service and a subscription to that particular fukking channel if your cable package doesn't have it (which is common nowadays).

So yea, I'm going to bootleg shows on HBO. fukk it. I'm not paying close to $200 a month for some TV. It's ridiculous. I don't blame anyone for bootlegging these shows at all.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
i hate the anti-bootlegger argument that people use when shows get cancelled

I'm an 80's baby...I used to watch Fresh Prince, the Cosby Show, Martin, NY Undercover, A Different World, etc. for FREE. Those shows got multiple seasons not only because they were great sitcoms, but BECAUSE THEY WERE FREE. If they were on tnt or the Oxygen, they wouldn't have gotten half the viewership and longevity.

Big corporations making these shows virtually inaccessible through rampant greed is why these shows get cancelled...PERIOD. it's ridiculous that for many of these shows, you have to have cable service and a subscription to that particular fukking channel if your cable package doesn't have it (which is common nowadays).

So yea, I'm going to bootleg shows on HBO. fukk it. I'm not paying close to $200 a month for some TV. It's ridiculous. I don't blame anyone for bootlegging these shows at all.

Only one counter to that breh: fresh prince was never a highly rated show. It was always on the bubble of being cancelled. But much how fan responses on twitter can save shows now, actual letters saved fresh prince.