TRIANGLE STRATEGY (PC, Switch) (March 4, 2022) (PC on October 13, 2022)

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Only because you get him so late. I used the emulator cheats to get him in chapter 1 and he decimates everything with the buster sword

ZI played another battle in this game last night and I’m not sure how to feel about it really. I love teh idea of a new tactics game by square enix but a lot of this stuff feels half baked. It’s kind of wild to me a game hasn’t had the level of polish and charm that FFT had and it’s over 20 years old already. Not even the game boy/ds games and i liked those.

The dialogue and voice acting in this game is kind of exhausting to listen to. Maybe because its a demo and I’m not invested in teh story like that but it needs a Ffwd button or something. It’s boring.

And I don’t like the sprites combined with the 3d backgrounds. It hurts my eyes. Why couldn’t they make it look like FFT/LUCT with higher res and more animated sprites?

Just kill all my dreams of ever getting a real successor to this game.
That’s disappointing. I was hopin this would be a return to form. Seein how FFT got ported to so many things gave me hope we’d get a proper followup instead of that Advance bullshyt.

did the demo indicate any sort of deep jobs system?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
That’s disappointing. I was hopin this would be a return to form. Seein how FFT got ported to so many things gave me hope we’d get a proper followup instead of that Advance bullshyt.

I’m not sure if maybe I’m just missing something or it hasn’t been implemented yet but it seems like each unique character has a certain job they are locked into. Like, I had a archer, a support mage, a couple black mages, a tank character, a thief etc...it seems like you will have to recruit characters that are in the class, i dont think theres gonna be custom class building. I could be wrong though. I don’t entirely mind this aspect as it makes characters a bit more unique, its more like fire emblem.

I’m interested in hearing what other people have to say about it though because i think it has potential they just need a lot of QoL changes. I’d also really like if they used character portraits in dialogue also, like fell seal.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County

I thought FFTA2 was a good game but there's a lot of filler in it. It's easy to get caught up doing random sidejobs instead of doing the main story and it makes it feel grindy. If you don't care about doing every mission then the game is better IMO.

People hate on the game for the judge system but it doesn't bother me at all because I ignore it when I want to. If you ignore the judge system the game turns into regular FFT anyway.

I’m not sure if maybe I’m just missing something or it hasn’t been implemented yet but it seems like each unique character has a certain job they are locked into. Like, I had a archer, a support mage, a couple black mages, a tank character, a thief etc...it seems like you will have to recruit characters that are in the class, i dont think theres gonna be custom class building. I could be wrong though. I don’t entirely mind this aspect as it makes characters a bit more unique, its more like fire emblem.

I’m interested in hearing what other people have to say about it though because i think it has potential they just need a lot of QoL changes. I’d also really like if they used character portraits in dialogue also, like fell seal.

Yeah it seems like characters are locked to one class but it does seem like they will have selectable/equippable abilities. Not sure how custom it will be yet. I don't have any problems with the graphics like you do.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I thought FFTA2 was a good game but there's a lot of filler in it. It's easy to get caught up doing random sidejobs instead of doing the main story and it makes it feel grindy. If you don't care about doing every mission then the game is better IMO.

People hate on the game for the judge system but it doesn't bother me at all because I ignore it when I want to. If you ignore the judge system the game turns into regular FFT anyway.

Yeah it seems like characters are locked to one class but it does seem like they will have selectable/equippable abilities. Not sure how custom it will be yet. I don't have any problems with the graphics like you do.

Yeah, I’m guessing I’m an outlier on the graphics issue. It seems like most people that were fans of the octopath traveler art style like this. For me, it doesn’t look good on a tv at all

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Yeah, I’m guessing I’m an outlier on the graphics issue. It seems like most people that were fans of the octopath traveler art style like this. For me, it doesn’t look good on a tv at all

This is a handheld mode game to me anyway.

Disgaea had a 2D/3D mix artstyle like this and it didnt bother me at all.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This is a handheld mode game to me anyway.

Disgaea had a 2D/3D mix artstyle like this and it didnt bother me at all.

Well disgaea (4,5) wasn’t pixel graphics, thats the main issue. It had high res sprites.

e77a0346e9b83746d680ab2b46a18f0c.gif

Versus this

0Ye8RMn.png

Also, i will say i have a few complaints about the UI and overall pace of the game. I mentioned before the dialogue needs a ffwd but the movement on the battle maps and menus could be sped up a bit also. Getting around the menus and general movement feels kind of sluggish to me.

also, I’m not sure if its in the increased difficulty they used for the demo but the enemies feel very spongey. The damage teh spear guy was doing I felt should be what everyone does. Maybe thats why the pincer attack thing will become important though...idk

Last edited:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Tactics Ogre kinda tops FFT across the board for me at least :manny:

tried the demo - they got potential here. still shook tho

The progression/class system of tactics ogre holds it back IMO. I don't like that it forces me to commit rather than allowing me to take things from classes and incorporate them into others. Not enough customization and freedom, IMO.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

The progression/class system of tactics ogre holds it back IMO. I don't like that it forces me to commit rather than allowing me to take things from classes and incorporate them into others. Not enough customization and freedom, IMO.

I also hated how the archers kinda broke the gamer early on.

the story was told in a better way though. I also liked the aesthetics a bit more on LUCT

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew

It's because it definitely is the better game. Matsuno's best imo.

Fft chased LUCT the same way everything else chases FFT.
Which to me, is an indictment of the whole genre.
Fire Emblem should be the keystone.

The switch and play aspect of Fft/TO is great for role-playing but terrible for strategy.
Everyone can't do everything.
Hence why archers in real life had overdeveloped dominant arms and spindly torsos.
Going from archer to mage to lich is fun customization but totally nullifies the tactical arena.
plus lack of permadeath??
Fire Emblem is the closest thing to chess in the srpg genre, everything else is just randoms playing dress up

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County

The switch and play aspect of Fft/TO is great for role-playing but terrible for strategy.
Hence why archers in real life had overdeveloped dominant arms and spindly torsos.
Going from archer to mage to lich is fun customization but totally nullifies the tactical arena.
Fire Emblem is the closest thing to chess in the srpg genre, everything else is just randoms playing dress up

No love for XCOM? Or are we not talking western stuff.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

I like fire emblem but my biggest knock against it is they don’t really have a lot of customizable characters builds. It’s basically like 3 or 4 classes for the same characters.

Not only that but the level design is pretty bland also. Most of the maps are the same thing. In FFT/TO every map is different and offers a unique strategy because of the type of terrain, elements found, and elevation. There’s more unique ways to play a Matsuno game, and i think thats how a tactics game should be.