Travis Scott - Utopia July 28th

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finally finished this album x2. I really fukk with the beginning up until Fein. The beginning of album largely sounds like his Owl Pharaoh mixtape from 10 years ago with elements of Yeezus. Then, the album gets really commercial/ radio focused around Meltdown. Includes the mosh pit vibes too... Its clear he's a more seasoned artist and has better production. Amazing transitions between each song.

He can't rap for shyt as he just be saying anything. But when could he ever rap? Unless Cyhi was on the pen... which he was on for a few songs like Sirens.

Thank God - restoring that 13' Owl Pharaoh feel
Modern Jam - actually sounds like a House dance track from the 90s.
My Eyes - sound like a track from Frank Ocean's Blonde. From the autotune arrangement, flow, and beat switch. Wish he had Frank on it with Sampha.
God's Country - got a funky ass beat, when I was leaving Rolling Loud I heard the beat and I was like damn!

ABlackMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Hood America
Finally finished this album x2. I really fukk with the beginning up until Fein. The beginning of album largely sounds like his Owl Pharaoh mixtape from 10 years ago with elements of Yeezus. Then, the album gets really commercial/ radio focused around Meltdown. Includes the mosh pit vibes too... Its clear he's a more seasoned artist and has better production. Amazing transitions between each song.

He can't rap for shyt as he just be saying anything. But when could he ever rap? Unless Cyhi was on the pen... which he was on for a few songs like Sirens.

Thank God - restoring that 13' Owl Pharaoh feel
Modern Jam - actually sounds like a House dance track from the 90s.
My Eyes - sound like a track from Frank Ocean's Blonde. From the autotune arrangement, flow, and beat switch. Wish he had Frank on it with Sampha.
God's Country - got a funky ass beat, when I was leaving Rolling Loud I heard the beat and I was like damn!
I agree. Listened to it for second time today. I like that it sounded like him from the OP times. That was nice to hear him sounding like himself and rapping regardless of the ability.

But the album still just don’t grab me. Idk I’m 30 this the first time I played something and was like damn it ain’t connecting. Ain’t for me I suppose.

Fein the only thing I like about it and that’s cause carti so we need the new Carti album at this point.

I also understand what he was going for with this album when it comes to quality and direction.

That alternative rock big boom sound with LA Nightlife walking through a dark vampiric tightly packed drug riddled Roxbury club grooves along with some post damage reflection.

That’s one thing I recognized. The settings you hear some songs in or where they are meant to be played impacts the listener tremendously.

You play that Beyoncé track 11pm nightclub tech rave wave type joint and it’s gonna hit entirely different.

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
This was aight. Some dope stuff here and there (mainly the production). 19 tracks was way too long to sit through.

He better do numbers cause he went all out with the features :damn: beyonce, Drake, bad bunny, The Weeknd, sza, young thug, 21 savage.. shyt like a dj Khaled album damn near.

MaxBundles

Veteran
Daps
Was that Carti actually not usually that stupid voice finally or was that Sheck Wes rapping? I couldn't tell who is who

Yecht

Superstar
Daps
Had this shyt on repeat all day. Perfect background music for just vibing and doing misc shyt :obama:

Surreal

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sza straight bodied telekinesis. Future did his thing too. Travis had the most toxic nikka and the most toxic bytch in the game and created something beautiful.

:banderas:

Can never get into her kiddie ass voice

Seems annoying

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Outside of Modern Jam sounding like I Am A God, I'm not seeing the Yeezus comparisons. Funny enough both tracks were produced by Daft Punk. The rest of the album def has Kanye influences but reminds me more of Donda and Pablo.

It's...eh. Few good songs, especially the last two. My issue is Travis is basically making AI music. There's no real thought or emotion here. I'm not saying I want conscious shyt from Travis Scott, let's get that out first. But he's not even reaching a basic level of personable. For instance Drake would tell you the resort he's at, the island he's on, and the type of yacht he's on. It would be brag raps but you get the sense it's an actual person doing shyt. Most of this album feels like a collection of reference tracks, lyrically. There is no theme. There's just...nothing there. And I think that's why the features stand out so much. Drake comes out swinging with a dope, emotional verse - shyt talking about real tangible things. Future is great on here, SZA is great on here, Beyonce is great on here. But they all sound like solo tracks for those artists. They don't sound like features because they completely outshine the main artist.

All of this makes that K-Pop track even worse. It sounds like a track he simply bought for the album, tacked a verse on and called it a day. But then you realize that's really what most of the album sounds like - just less expensive than Weeknd/Bunny. He bought (or jacked) some beats, added some adlibs and generic phrases, and there we go.