Traveling is SO OVERRATED: Most people wouldn't travel if they couldn't post it on Social Media

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Something i read once was like you should always take pictures facing the opposite direction of you, not facing towards. That's kind of how you can look at travel too.

Travel can give you a wider perspective of the world, and yourself. I do know a few people who travel a lot and do a lot while traveling, but a lot of it seems refracted for social media. As in, I don't think they really take the place and it's culture into themselves. They don't connect. They just pass through.

It's like a skim. and that's ok, everyone finds their own level, but I understand that criticism, sure. Fly 2,000 miles to somewhere to take picture of yourself on the beach and get drunk every night.

so funny example, but in Mazatlan, in front of the condo where Chapo Guzman got arrested, I am think about all the history of that moment, and feeling and seeing the actual place it happened. and how life moves quickly on, it happened, and then it was over. and then there's these stunning sunsets and stunning women all around the boardwalk, on the beach. and seafood stands everywhere, because that is how they thrived as a society, fish from the sea. How that itself shapes a culture. You eat with your hands. You eat fish directly from the ocean, uncooked and how they did that 1,000 years ago probably.

Last edited:

King Poetic

The Monkey in the Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
I have no problem with people enjoying traveling if they can and enjoying life on the low without the world knowing

My only issue is with people broadcasting it on social media 24/7 and especially the ones talking about passport this passport that.. “” oh oh you not living if u don’t have a passport “

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
traveling is def fun

it just gets annoying when folks make it their whole personality and act elitist about it

one of my homies solo travels quite a bit and posts his travels but he never acts overly boogie about it. Toronto is notorious for them kinda folks

Windows 91

Unreleased Operating System
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
C:\
My girl is guilty of this sometimes. She be thinking of potential captions for her IG posts before we even get to the destination. :skip: I don't have any social media so any pictures I take are for the walls in my house and my office desk.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
My girl is guilty of this sometimes. She be thinking of potential captions for her IG posts before we even get to the destination. :skip: I don't have any social media so any pictures I take are for the walls in my house and my office desk.

That word I used in my post, refracting was one of the most useful for me in truly understanding/trying to social media from a pyschological/sociological perspective....

when you use a lot of social media, you tend to start seeing the world ONLY through how it will look when refracted through the prism of social media/IG posts, IG video, Tik Tok, whatever. so in a sense it really really constricts and warps your vision.

Last edited:

Brolic

High Value Poster
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
Traveling and brunch. That’s literally all you see on the majority of dating profiles on Hinge.

Daps
IG has made it worse but for me there is nothing better than being out in Europe in Mallorca, Croatia, or anywhere around the med with the blue sea and beautiful beaches. That's what I love. Chill days in and out of the sea and eating good fresh food in local restaurants. I don't care so much for having to visit the 'Must See's places I like a good beach, tranquility and a blue sea. I don't use my phone much when travelling and when I do it's at night catching up on messages.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
so thaaaats why rich people travel around the world in private jets. makes sense now.

the level of stupidity in this thread is astonishing.
nikka said it like escaping from your everyday struggles isn't literally what you supposed to be doing on vacation in the first place

I mean I get what he was trying to say but the way he said it made no fukking sense