To this day, I'm the ONLY person to say "Big Papa" by Biggie was blatantly biting west coast sound.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
YOU GOT A BE A RETARDED CAC WIT NO SOUL TO THINK THAT EAST COAST IS COMPARABLE TO WEST COAST WHEN IT COMES TO BEIN MELODIC. GET UR HEAD CHECKED, WHITEBOY.

shyt yo dumb ass, post a beat you made i will post one i made and we can talk about melodic

you have no clue what you are talking about

g funk isn't a westcoast sound is a southern sound

no samples

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
The strange thing about this convo is that people really don't remember there was a time when these sounds being discussed weren't exclusive to one coast. Only around the mid-90s did it become a "this is a West Coast beat" or "this is an East Coast beat" thing. There was a time when EPMD, Redman, Heavy D, X-Clan and others were using funk and it wasn't seen as biting the West, and when Cube, Ren, etc. would rap over "boom bap" shyt but nobody saw it as anything strange. Usually the only thing that would make something "East" or "West" was who was rapping on it. There was lots of different styles of production so you couldn't really peg one thing to a coast.

And about "Hypnotize"... this song was not a "West Coast" record or even a funk record for that matter, it's a jazz groove... from what I understand, this was also a popular cookout/rollerskating record when it was out, including in NY:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Some people only seem to think East Coast beats were always just grimy beats and Cali shyt was all funk, but for years everybody was using the same type records. There were party records from both, laidback tracks, hardcore tracks, etc... this was the case for YEARS...

...and then, the Geto Boys' music always sounded like a lil' bit of both...

DarkmanX

All Star
Daps
Nope, true indeed.

I fux with Big, but nikkaz are lyin if they dont admit that Ready To Die was clearly
an eastcoast version of The Chronic. The sound, the samples, even Big's style.

Ya cant tell me that Big didnt get influenced by Snoop's style.
In 1992-93 he came off as a typical rapper with that old school hard delivery & flow.

Once Snoop hit, and probably due to Puff tellin him to, he became "Big Poppa". Smooth flow, rappin about
mackin broads while still spittin that g shyt over funky beats & samples.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
the rhythm alone is why electro-hop and g-funk are two distinct sounds

Yeah that sounds nice but you already said that the horn samples dont count as G Funk but your source says

Another early G-funk pioneer, also from Compton, was rapper and producer DJ Quik, who was already using P-Funk instrumentals as early as 1991 in his debut album Quik Is the Name, though his most recognizable G-funk album is 1995's Safe & Sound

According to "your source" it counts as G Funk if it samples P Funk......Quik wasn't doing non of that specific shyt u been stressing is G Funk on his first 2 albums yet your source has him as a "pioneer." So who the fukk am I to believe? You or your own source?

:stopitslime:

So if your source says Quiks "non g funk style on his first LPs according to your definition of what G Funk is" was a pioneer and u say the horns on that NWA song dont count as G Funk, then thats just u bending the rules in your favor like u always do. :ehh:

Add the fact that your other source about "electro" has Kraftwerk and Zapp as "familiar artists" and my overall point was the influence on what would later be the influence of "west coast sound" and Dre being super fans of Kraftwerk and Zapp.....I further conclude thats just u bending the rules in your favor like u always do. If Dre says Kraftwerk is one of his influences why in the fukk would I listen to your bullshyt?

:camby:

Holla at me when u ready to have that "facetime" debate u been ducking for 2 years. The type of debate were we are head on and Google cant save u from being fake. That shyt u said about Ricans like me living on Gun Hill dont mean shyt will always have u looking funny to me.

:mjpls:

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
Hypnotize is funky,the sound of the west coast at that time was smooth/funky shyt.

The bass sound in hypnotize is a major characteristic in west coast sounding beats.

Hypnotize is in no way an east coast sounding beat. You think of East coast/NYC beats you think of more gutter shyt.

Nah bro. The bass line is funky yes but in no way is that a west coast sounding song. Big Poppa & Goin Back To Cali are west coast influenced songs. D Dot produced Hypnotize & he's from Brooklyn lol. That's like saying De La's song Ring Ring Ring is a west coast sounding song because it has a funky bass line which it clearly isn't

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
Some people only seem to think East Coast beats were always just grimy beats and Cali shyt was all funk, but for years everybody was using the same type records. There were party records from both, laidback tracks, hardcore tracks, etc... this was the case for YEARS...

...and then, the Geto Boys' music always sounded like a lil' bit of both...

Couldn't have said it any better

East Coast

K-Solo dropped this is 89

West Coast

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
Not only that but "juicy" too. Even "one more chance" to an extent was west coast influenced.
And that's what they were going for since the west was running shyt back then.
But the rest of the album was strictly grimy east coast shyt.

no they weren't.

those songs were str8 samples with nothing added to it.

at least with "big poppa", they added synths.

THE BASSLINE N DRUMS .. NOT AS BLATANT AS GOIN BACK 2 CALI THO

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
You think of East coast/NYC beats you think of more gutter shyt.

you gotta speak for yourself brehski.

hip-hop was built off partying.

the grimey/grungy sound didn't popup until darn near 20 years after the fact. mid-90s boom bap was never the original sound. its not even the original style of boom bap.

-The funk sample
-that moog sounding bass

its not really a funk sample.

besides, hip-hop was birthed from the funk, long before the west coast even knew what hip-hop was.

I KNOW THE SAMPLE.... DOESNT CHANGE WHAT I SAID BRUH

dog.

you said the east coast had no melody.

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
you gotta speak for yourself brehski.

hip-hop was built off partying.

the grimey/grungy sound didn't popup until darn near 20 years after the fact. mid-90s boom bap was never the original sound. its not even the original style of boom bap.

its not really a funk sample.

besides, hip-hop was birthed from the funk, long before the west coast even knew what hip-hop was.

dog.

you said the east coast had no melody.

OF COURSE THEY HAVE MELODY

THEYRE NOT KNOWN FOR MELODY ALA THE WEST THO

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
OF COURSE THEY HAVE MELODY

THEYRE NOT KNOWN FOR MELODY ALA THE WEST THO

:snoop: :camby:

WOAT Banner is there for a reason.

Your trolling just keeps getting debunked with truth.

I already pointed out there wouldn't be no Boyz N The Hood without Whodini. How the fukk u gonna say we weren't known for melodies? West Coast hip hop had absolutly nothing melodious on a popular mainstream level like Whodini in the mid 80's.

I'm not gonna even mention the Fantastic 5 MCs

:francis: