To The Victor Go The Spurs - The Official 2024-2025 San Antonio Spurs Season Thread

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Layin the groundwork. :mjgrin:

I saw a tweet that the Spurs would be interested in Murray again.
I can understand why people think there is a match here because Murray would be a huge upgrade at PG.

But he's 27 now, doesn't play defense anymore, and I'm just not sure that he's the right fit for the long term future of the team. So I think this is more of a "wish list" thing than a real possibility.

Here's the thing, you bring in Murray and right away the offense is better. He's gifted enough that they could pick and roll teams with Wemby all day. My concern is that they still wouldn't be real contenders, so you're gonna win more, but you're not gonna be great. And Murray is at an age where he's trying to win for real. He's not going to mentor his 19 or 20 year old replacement.

Or maybe I'm wrong and a Murray/Vassell/Wemby trio takes off and we're looking at a 45 - 50 win team next year. I doubt it though.

This is a situation where Brian Wright tips his hand a little bit. If he trades for an established PG, maybe he thinks the Spurs are close to turning a corner. If he stays the course, they're looking at another lottery pick this summer.

Given that they're 5-30, I'd bet on them taking their chances in the lottery.

VBM

┌∩┐(●_●)┌∩┐
Daps
Reppin
Dallas by way of Houston by way of San Antonio
I saw a tweet that the Spurs would be interested in Murray again.
I can understand why people think there is a match here because Murray would be a huge upgrade at PG.

But he's 27 now, doesn't play defense anymore, and I'm just not sure that he's the right fit for the long term future of the team. So I think this is more of a "wish list" thing than a real possibility.
The price tag is what makes it worthwhile. He's making around what Devin's making (on his second contract extension), and the deal he signed with the Hawks was viewed as a discount.

Whatever the case, it's an undeniably great deal from Atlanta's perspective. The final details on the contract will provide more clarity, but remember: $120.5 million is the most it can be, including unlikely-to-be-earned incentives. Even if Murray hits all of those, his $30 million annual average salary would tie him with Gordon Hayward, Tyler Herro and Chris Paul for 44th in the NBA this season.

You lock in Murray, you lock in your starting backcourt of the future with Vassell. You have the motivation of being on the ascent versus the opposite feeling you had when Kawhi left. Also, I don't think there's any concern about him poisoning Wemby's mindset. Pop knows he can't play mindgames with Wemby. Hell you see he's treating him with kid gloves by saying he's not drawing anything up specifically for him since he doesn't want to box him in.

Murray hasn't butted heads with Trae Young, and everybody other than his agent would tell Murray that the Spurs are Wemby's team.

Nothing the Spurs have shown this season leads me to believe some star is going to sign with us in the offseason. The reason the DJM friction got started was the Spurs had no direction. I still remember his response to the Josh Primo pick.

BodieBroadus

You know my name.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
D/FW

Mf’er couldn’t just wait one more game? We were about to fukk around and maybe get a 2-gm streak goin.

:francis:

Last edited: