TLOU Pt. 2 trailer got people in their feelings.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Its a disturbing game.

so you agree it's disturbing. I heard demonic cacs like to watch this trailer while listening to death metal

No. Have you played TLOU?

no. does playing the game desensitize you to watching someone get their arm broke with a hammer? or does that just come from living in Jersey?

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
a lady getting her arm broke up with a hammer isn't remotely close to being disturbing?

Its a mature rated game to a sequel that had plenty of violent and 'disturbing' scenes? Why are you and everyone else complaining now? And what does the fact that she is 'a lady' have to do with anything?

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
trying to stop and change an artist's vision of how they want to draw whatever emotion out of the person viewing their work is the dirt worst. fukk off and make your own work then.

I never played the first one, and won't be playing this one, but damn, trying to control how other people create their work is messed up.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Evidently @daze23 and @MeachTheMonster has been living under a rock for the past few decades. Old 'won't someone think of the children ass' motherfukkers.

Of course the real reason they are complaining is because its a PS4 exclusive. :camby:
Not complaining, and don't really care. You into that go ahead.

I'm not entertained by that kind of violence anymore. And that's not just for games. Can't really watch UFC anymore and been offput by football cause all the injury stuff.

Call me soft or a punk if y'all want, but I don't like seeing people get hurt like that.:manny:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Not complaining, and don't really care. You into that go ahead.

I'm not entertained by that kind of violence anymore. And that's not just for games. Can't really watch UFC anymore and been offput by football chase all the injury stuff.

Call me soft or a punk if y'all want, but I don't like seeing people get hurt like that.:manny:
I can respect this :ehh:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
no. does playing the game desensitize you to watching someone get their arm broke with a hammer? or does that just come from living in Jersey?
No smart ass, I asked you because there was plenty of "disturbing" violence in that game but let's be real; You're in a thread about a PS4 exclusive and you couldn't wait to go full disingenuous mode and act like this is the most disturbing thing you've ever seen in a video game.

Where were you when these games came out?
original.gif
giphy.gif

gta_5_most_brutal_mission_trevor_insane_torture_grand_theft_auto_v_gameplay.gif

untitled_3plzn0_by_arachnid_le_spider-dawletr.gif

Corny ass concern trolling. Neogaf shyt.
Your Jersey comment sound real slick Watch it "pal" :mjpls:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Great rebuttal.

This brutality has been a cause of significant hand-wringing among the games press, who say the trailer’s shockingly life-like violence misrepresents the game. The first Last Of Us told a story of a man and a young woman traveling through this desolate, post-apocalyptic America, contextualizing its unending scenes of shattered skulls and leering torture with a more tender story of companionship at any cost. Without that context, the argument goes, the trailer just fetishizes violence needlessly, appending a scene of stomach-churning brutality to the end of a press conference that also contained family-friendly Spider-Man and Star Warsand tennis titles.

This criticism is wrong-footed for a whole host of reasons, not least of which is the fact that it is a single scene from a video game that isn’t out yet, and so surmising what is or isn’t “representative” is literally impossible. Its first trailer showed the first game’s protagonists idly playing guitar in a verdant, overgrown ruin, illustrating that the series’ capacity for tenderness remained intact; the Paris scene depicted a hellish display of cruelty between cult-like survivors, showing that the series’ capacity for bleak encounters at the end of the world also remained intact. If you were a fan of the first game’s startling and literary vision of life in an environmentally ravaged future, well, that’s two boxes checked.

This short-sightedness works backward, too: An almost identical hand-wringing occurred upon the release of the first game’s trailer in 2013, which showed the gruff male lead strangling, burning, executing, and braining people, all with help from his adolescent friend. “Does The Last Of Us fetishize violence?” went a typical headline from The Guardian.

Video games, it will surprise no one reading this to find out, have always been violent. Even this month’s joyful Super Mario Odyssey is a reminder that Mario has been squishing his enemies and punching Bowser for decades. It’s a medium that creates tension through danger, through the interaction of objects most commonly represented as enemies in combat. Other trailers shown at the press conference contained much higher body counts than the pair of people murdered in The Last Of Us clip, but The Last Of Us is a series uniquely obsessed with—and serious about—the reasons and types of violence people perpetrate against each other, taking the violence within games as an almost philosophical mandate to probe via bombed-out cityscapes and punishing wintry wastelands.

It is a fundamentally good thing that Naughty Dog, a company with a Pixar-like investment in the realistic emotional arcs of its characters, would choose to use its vaunted graphical prowess and our increasingly powerful game consoles to illustrate the realistic effects of that violence, the harrowing vision of a human body under duress. If there’s room for cartoonish ragdoll murder in the strings of bloodless shooters being released monthly, there is room for a game that interrogates this violence explicitly and realistically.

Sony has since responded to the outcry against the trailer with a typically blithe PR quote that nevertheless hits the nail on the surprisingly life-like head, saying, “The Last Of Us obviously is a game made by adults to be played by adults.” That is accurate. What’s more telling is the follow-up question, which echoed many of the greater concerns among video game writers: “Certainly other media don’t behave in this way. You wouldn’t go to a Hollywood showcase and then have two minutes of graphic violence tacked on the end of a family presentation.” This is an oddly broad characterization of what would or wouldn’t be in “a Hollywood showcase,” and gets at the real root of the problem here, which is that such a showcase would not exist. There is no such thing as a live-streamed and feverishly anticipated movie-trailer press conference; it is an invention unique to video games. It’s this ritual that’s artificial, artistically corrupting, and deserving of condemnation—the presentation of sometimes dozens of different artworks, with focus-grouped tripe run thoughtlessly alongside more artful and personal creations.

Almost a decade after video games were given their first existential crisis by Roger Ebert, we’re still feverishly, nervously comparing them to film, wondering how they look and how they make us, the people who care about them, look. We’d rather present The Last Of Us Part II with its gentle, poetic scenes, the ones that defy the medium’s reputation for violence. This argument closets something that is innate, and powerful, about the medium, demanding that the grisly hangings and stabbings and hammerings stay in there but only for us to enjoy quietly, when no one is watching. It’s correct to be appalled by the violence in The Last Of Us, as well as the trailers for its sequel. But it’s also correct to be proud of it, and the way this strange, volatile medium still has the capacity to shock us.

https://www.avclub.com/don-t-be-afraid-of-the-last-of-us-part-ii-s-violence-1820127164

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
so you agree it's disturbing. I heard demonic cacs like to watch this trailer while listening to death metal

I cant speak for demonic cacs.

For me, the trailer says the game itself will be a violent experience.

To me the trailer says dont get it twisted because these are females, they will be getting it in. Even these soft looking asians are bout that action. Everyone is a killer and ready to put someone down with extreme predjudice.

I dont need that to be sugarcoated behind 20 yard stares backdropped with sad guitar folk music and hints of character development. I have no delusions about tue kind of game im playing. Im an adult. My kids wont be playing this.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Its a mature rated game to a sequel that had plenty of violent and 'disturbing' scenes? Why are you and everyone else complaining now? And what does the fact that she is 'a lady' have to do with anything?
my question was in response to someone that said there wasn't anything "remotely close" to being disturbing in the trailer

I'm not complaining, but I ain't gonna front like I didn't wince a little watching hammer time. I can't help but imagine what that would feel like :sadcam:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
It did push the envelope a little, but we know it's going to be a great game so I am not sure I get the fake outrage this is all generating :yeshrug: