Tim Duncan plus Dirk Nowitzki's unstoppable shots in a bigger, greater athlete? (Wilt Chamberlain)

dantheman9758

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not really Dirks is clearly different,he rocks back and sticks the knee out..Wilt didnt have to do all that cuz he was being guarded by much smaller players that had no hope in hell of blocking him...He was 7-3 and his release point was much higher...
Some of the players aren't much smaller than Wilt, at least in height or length. Nate Thurmond had Wilt's same 7 foot 8 armspan, Russell had a 7-4 armspan and the vert of a high jumper, Kareem 7 foot 2 without shoes, is taller than Wilt.

While it's true Wilt is usually facing opponents "smaller" than him, the same would be true today. Many of the centers and bigs he was up against are the same recipe of imposing lengths/heights scouts would drool over if they were in the mix among today's draftexpress prospects

But yes, he doesn't always need to put his knee out and do quite as much work. He's only about an inch or two taller than Dirk but I think Wilt's arms are probably a lot longer than Dirks and his ability to leap back probably also gives him more seperation. Some of Wilt's fadeaways he's almost running out of bounds his momentum carries him so far.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Not Bob Ryan, but I wouldn't mind picking his brain I saw an interview where he described the draft picks some random season in the 60's and 70's. Knew about guys that didn't even end up having pro careers. I don't think anyone can really know an era unless they have a good understanding of everyone in the league top to bottom, even the prospects who couldn't make it.
tony k did the same thing.

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
Not really Dirks is clearly different,he rocks back and sticks the knee out..Wilt didnt have to do all that cuz he was being guarded by much smaller players that had no hope in hell of blocking him...He was 7-3 and his release point was much higher...

51.jpg

220px-Elmore_Smith_and_Wilt_Chamberlain.jpeg

wilt-chamberlain.jpg

kareem-abdul-jabbar-vs-wilt-chamberlain-jump-ball-retro-images-archive.jpg

billrussellwiltchamberlain.jpg

Just stop it :stopitslime:

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
Wilt is the goat and is the most dominant player ever regardless of time period:yeshrug:.

Prime Wilt would average damn near 40-20 in today's league. I truly believe it. I'm been in so many arguments about Wilt over the years. You wouldn't believe no many people tell me he was just a product of playing against white midgets:snoop:.

Dude was on anomaly among anomalies. The true definition of a freak

That's that Jim Brown excuse....

Like how in the world can somebody act like somebody like Wilt, who could dunk from the free throw line, shoot that well... wouldn't be as good in todays NBA?

He'd probably be even more dominant with the abundance of players who dont play defense,don't like contact and are scared to get dunked on.

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
That's that Jim Brown excuse....

Like how in the world can somebody act like somebody like Wilt, who could dunk from the free throw line, shoot that well... wouldn't be as good in todays NBA?

He'd probably be even more dominant with the abundance of players who dont play defense,don't like contact and are scared to get dunked on.

Basically, nikkaz these days would have died from the punishment those players took in the 50s and 60s :wow:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I remember debating with somebody on here about 2 years ago regarding the "Dirk" fadeaway. I told the muscle headed niqqa that Wilt was the first 7 footer that I saw doing the so called "Dirk". The "Dirk" is really the "Wilt", but you know how thIngs go, the new generation behave like they invented it all. It's just recycled brehs. Pay homage to Wilt da Gawd. @dantheman9758 thank you for providing the proof for my claim.

You called it breh....good eye. Did you see Wilt play growing up? Or just from video clips like most posters here?

AFRAM GLORY

Superstar
Daps
I love dirk's game...but his post up and fadeaway game is all hakeems lol.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I saw him play growing up. Good question breh.

Much respect brotha.....you truely are blessed to have seen when play. My dad swears to this day that Wilt is the baddest basketball player he has ever seen.

All I can dude is salute that and wish I could have seen him play.

dantheman9758

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Here's the 4th best center of the 1960's, and like the 7th best of the early 1970's. He also shot a fall-away jumper.

Played Wilt 100 times. Wilt once dropped 73 points on him.