TIDAL is not off to a good start

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
That's just MY opinion of course, and here are just a few reasons I've personally found...

So....musically I've been on a Babyface kick lately. Been listening to alot of his catalog that I already own, and wanted to go thru some of his really old work I don't have. I have the free $19.99 trial of TIDAL, so why not use it for that....

I pull up his 1st album, and.....
....where's the album art? :beli: A minor annoyance, but I ain't trippin....

16471219484_7804fbb7b0.jpg

Still on the 'Face kick, so I wanna go listen to some songs he wrote/produced, Whitney Houston came to mind b/c I read that it was a big deal when they finally worked together back then.

Pulled up the album/title track ("I'm Your Baby Tonight"), and......it's not even the right version of the song. :mindblown: It's some off-brand remix, NOT the LA Reid and Babyface version.....and get this, it's not even on beat. :heh: ie Whitney Houston vocals are faster than the music on the track. This is one of her 'greatest hits', and they don't even the real song.

16906077528_dc63657f12_z.jpg

Now, I know y'all are saying, "man Lac, :camby: nobody cares about that old R&B....the younger generation are the ones being targeted for TIDAL. The newer stuff is all that really matters. "

Ok, fair enough....:mjpls:

I then wanted to listen to J. Cole's 'Born Sinner' album, and.....

.....they only have the EDITED version. :scust:
17067712026_7a1ab16284_z.jpg

Well maybe that's just one error....stop nitpicking, Lac....

They also only have the EDITED version of Drake's "Nothing Was the Same" :beli:

16907459099_fdcda7e9e3_z.jpg

And just for good measure.

"The record label does not allow this album to be streamed" WTH? :what: Then take the album off the app.
16905891908_eb19ec6cf7_z.jpg

No way I'm keeping this over Spotify once the free trial runs out, not even for the $9.99 tier. I've only been on there a handful of times and found all these errors. No telling how many other people who use it alot have found. :yeshrug: Not a good look, IMO.

Grizzly

Home Run Hitter
Daps
Reppin
Bigupyuself
Rdio is the best competitor to Spotify right now. The only service that I think has potential of being bigger than Spotify (US) is Deezer. Once Deezer finally launches in the US they gonna change the game for sure.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Respect your research but the economics of it alone is turn off.

If I was them with their celebrity, I'd offer it free with revenue coming from ads. All their stans would have flocked to it.

Free is what they were trying to avoid. But I agree with your approach in part. Rihanna has her own set of fans, Beyonce has her own set, Jason Aldean has his own fans, Madonna etc. That's a large base of people.

Seems like they could've done something BETTER than Jay Z and a bunch of stars on a commercial talking about how they're "taking back the power".

You're telling paying customers that you're not making enough and expecting them to spend MORE money(or switch to your product) in order to put more money in your pockets. But.....the fan gets nothing more in return than what they currently get on Spotify or Google Music.

I'm all for the betterment of the music biz, but that's really an asinine logic when you think about it.