Threads has 50 Million new signups in 1 day; took Twitter 2 years to reach that total

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps

Problematic Pat

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
People crying about the censorship already like they ain't dealing with Facebook. That site is cooked if people think it will be a Twitter alternative.

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
Twitter and Instagram is the same user base, people just are more loose on twitter because instagram will ban you quick for certain things
I dont know breh, I stopped using Twitter because every top reply was some fukking nazis, crypto fakkit, or some conspiracy wacko because all blue marks were pushed to the top of every thread and they started to be the majority of blue checks not to mention Elon is somehow a bigger piece of shyt than usual. I enjoy not seeing that shyt. If threads fail, I don't see myself going back to Twitter. I was already using other platforms instead of Twitter before this for the above mentioned reasons like reddit and Instagram. These aren't perfect platforms but they didnt have a right wing nut job with an agenda signal boosting and pushing racists nazis to the front of everyone's feed.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Threads isn’t for news and politics, says Instagram’s boss​

/

Adam Mosseri ran Facebook’s News Feed in 2016, and now he tells Alex Heath that politics and hard news aren’t ‘worth the scrutiny, negativity (let’s be honest), or integrity risks.’​

By Jay Peters, a news editor who writes about technology, video games, and virtual worlds. He’s submitted several accepted emoji proposals to the Unicode Consortium.
Jul 7, 2023, 2:16 PM EDT

An image showing the Threads logo

Illustration: The Verge

Instagram’s new Threads app is “not going to do anything to encourage” politics and “hard news,” Instagram boss Adam Mosseri said in a Threads conversation with The Verge’s Alex Heath.

The additional scrutiny, negativity, and integrity risks that come with politics and hard news aren’t worth the “incremental engagement or revenue,” Mosseri wrote.
“There are more than enough amazing communities — sports, music, fashion, beauty, entertainment, etc. — to make a vibrant platform without needing to get into politics or hard news.” (Mosseri’s strong point of view here is likely informed by his time running Facebook’s News Feed.)

In recent years, Meta has distanced itself from news and politics, including reducing the amount of political content that users see on Facebook. It even dropped “News” from the name of the Facebook Feed last year. The company also responded to a new Canadian law that would require it to pay for local news by saying it will yank news from Facebook and Instagram in the country.

While Threads is assuredly a take on Twitter, a platform tying itself in knots under new ownership, Mosseri is apparently thinking much bigger. Following along with his boss, Mark Zuckerberg's statement about finding a “clear path to 1 billion people,” Mosseri said:

The goal isn’t to replace Twitter. The goal is to create a public square for communities on Instagram that never really embraced Twitter and for communities on Twitter (and other platforms) that are interested in a less angry place for conversations, but not all of Twitter.

Threads launched on Wednesday and has proven to be a big hit; it’s already surpassed 70 million signups. But the vibe, so far, is decidedly not like what you might be familiar with from Twitter: the only available feed is an algorithmic one, and that feed is already flooded with celebrities and brands.
k5Di4UL.png

Still, it seems inevitable that politics and news will trickle onto Threads in some way, especially if politicians and journalists use the platform during the 2024 presidential election cycle. And Instagram is working on a feed just for people you follow and a chronological feed, which, at least for me, should make Threads a much more useful place to find news. But it sounds like Instagram won’t be going out of its way to make Threads what Twitter once was — so don’t get your hopes up for some kind of Thread-Deck.

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
This isn’t a surprise. People got tired of the right wing trend of Twitter and we’re thirsty for a legitimate alternative.

I’ve said this in other threads but eventually Zuckerberg and Threads will start negotiating with influencers and media companies to exclusively post on threads and then it will get uglier for Elon

it's nothing stopping popular right-wing people from being on it.
the only reason to leave twitter is because you don't like elon

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps