This story should be front page news - FEDS going after Rent Price Fixers

SnugglesDaBear

Superstar
Daps
Large landlords and private equity firms are working together to keep rent prices high. They use algorithmic software such as RealPage to artificially keep rent prices high and avoid competing with each other for tenants. If we were a competent country, this would be front page news everywhere.

In a far less-noticed law enforcement action, the FBI this week conducted a dawn raid of corporate landlord giant Cortland Management over what’s called algorithmic price-fixing. This corporate real estate management firm, based in Atlanta, rents out 85,000 units across thirteen states. But Cortland is allegedly part of a much bigger conspiracy orchestrated by a software and consulting firm named RealPage to increase rents nationwide by coordinating landlord pricing decisions and holding apartments off the market. How much bigger? Well, there’s a civil antitrust action in Tennessee that’s been going on since 2023, where the argument is that RealPage has been working with at least 21 large landlords and institutional investors, encompassing 70% of multi-family apartment buildings and 16 million units nationwide, to systematically push up rents. And RealPage isn’t just some software company distorting rental markets, it’s also owned by Thoma Bravo, one of the biggest private equity firms in the U.S. So yeah, this scandal matters. (RealPage is also lobbying up, which politically connected firms do…)

How does the cartel allegedly work? Well large corporate landlords, who would normally compete with one another for tenants via price or quality, have since 2016 stopped doing so. Instead, they all share “detailed real-time data regarding pricing, inventory, occupancy rates, and unit types that are or will be coming available to rent” every day with one another through RealPage’s revenue management system, which in turn sends back recommendations on pricing.

Landlords adopt RealPage recommendations on pricing 80-90% of the time, which explicitly drives up revenue by holding apartments off the market. As the architect of RealPage once explained, “f you have idiots undervaluing, it costs the whole system.” It’s not just an information-sharing and price recommendation engine. RealPage has ‘pricing advisors’ that monitor landlords and encourage them to accept suggested pricing, it works to get employees at landlord companies fired who try to move rents lower, and it even threatens to drop clients who don’t accept its high price recommendations. This one’s a very clear conspiracy. Allegedly.

Cortland is located in Atlanta, where 81% of multifamily rental unit prices are set via software. And rent in that city has exploded, up 80% since 2016. What’s odd about this price increase is that vacancy rates have been inching up, and when there’s more supply, prices should come down. But they aren’t. What seems to have happened in the period between 2015-2017 is that a bunch of landlords started using RealPage pricing recommendations. Then in 2017, RealPage bought its main rival, Lease Rent Option, giving it perfect information into the supply and demand for apartment rentals. Here’s a map of Atlanta properties using RealPage’s software.

https://substackcdn.com/image/fetch...562e-b420-47ac-b2cb-b91f80ade509_680x618.jpeg
The Department of Justice is clearly deep in an investigation of RealPage and its cartel. And this one looks criminal. It’s also fascinating that the FBI is involved. The FBI, though historically it had a big role in antitrust investigations for its first hundred years, hasn’t really done much in this area since the early 2000s. I don’t know what conclusions to draw from that. But I’ll be watching.

Last edited:

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
Morgan-Freeman-Clap.gif

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
yeah, this has been something I am aware of, because I am in those places and live in neighborhood with the upscale version of those models.

These buildings get bought by private groups, and they often slash all the amenities and staff/security, and raise rent, inch by inch, quarter by quarter. They have a lot of leverage because of the high demand for housing.

there's plenty of ballers in those buildings who aren't worried, but a lot of the people who even make around 80/120k, they get tightened each quarter, one, for no real reason, and two, they get less. The buildings are less maintained.

and of course, there is a model that is in all the lower income areas too, which is probably worse. The thing is rent is so high in San Diego, people are scrambling to get anything. My building used to be mostly single people. Now it's mostly couples or families/roommates. I've witnessed the shift over the last 7 years or so.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
At a glance it seems like some random company that is screwing over some random people in another city, but you can put your zip code into their website and see what buildings they own near you:

fukkers manage a spot a block from me, and about 20 buildings throughout my neighborhood :snoop:

Edit: @SnugglesDaBear you might wanna drop the link in the first post so people can check their zip code

Last edited:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
At a glance it seems random and like it doesn't affect you, but you can put your zip code into their website and see what buildings they own near you:

fukkers manage a spot a block from me, and about 20 buildings throughout my neighborhood :snoop:

they essentially manage EVERY building in Little Italy/East village/downtown San Diego

exactly as I described. wow.

type in 92101 and see how many come up.

all of my friends who lived or live downtown and me, have all lived in dozen plus of those buildings. I have been in almost all of those.

Last edited: