This scene shook me to my core as a kid (Fresh Prince, Carlton called a sellout)

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Well, it's complicated because Carlton did grow. But, you see in the beginning of the show run; Carlton was extremely condescending.

By the last season he grew to respect and love Will. WILL, on the other hand stuck to that hood shyt too long. Because, I understand where you came from, but, Uncle Phil gave Will too much from him to waste time on women and parties--even almost getting Carlton killed and getting himself killed.

Around the time of this episode he was getting better. But, the brother's we're completely off base about Carlton.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
1 star

All the bougie conservative nikkas will love this tho

But wasn't Will clowning Carlton the entire series for the exact same reason?

This is why I loved the show (atleast for the first 4 and a half seasons--when Janet left the show was damn near Family Matters in terms of fukkery)

It showed the issues on 360 degrees

Because they both learned valuable lessons

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Powerful shyt. Also, wasn't there a scene where Uncle Phil mentioned he attended Malcolm X's speeches?

When Will was tryna play Uncle Phil like an sellout...even though Will was kinda a poser :mjlol: ran out his hood pumping his chest out at white preppies

Again, Will developed after that episode where the whole family went back to the hood and Will had to learn that "help the hood and go back to the million dollar house" shyt don't work

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
Powerful shyt. Also, wasn't there a scene where Uncle Phil mentioned he attended Malcolm X's speeches?
Yep in the first season....its a very ironic scene because Will gets a wake up call not to judge a book by its cover. He assumed Phil was a c00n when he got corrected and learned he was actually there during the marches and speeches.

The reason this works both ways is because at the very end of the episode, Phil understands he too has to take his own advice. He sees Will playing piano and understands he isn't just some street nikka from Philly who's helpless, but that like many young kids he has potential if given the chance and resources.

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
I wonder how these shows where black men such as Carlton were constantly made fun of for being into academics and the like, shaped the way blacks view other such black men...
What worked was that Carlton was made to be a multi-dimensional person.

On one hand he was preppy snob smart kid, but he could also dance, was legit swole and surprisingly had a decent amount of success with women before he'd fukk it up. He wasn't as helpless as like Urkel or someone.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
This is why I loved the show (atleast for the first 4 and a half seasons--when Janet left the show was damn near Family Matters in terms of fukkery)

It showed the issues on 360 degrees

Because they both learned valuable lessons
Yea there was character growth...

Glad they didn't dumb Will character down for comedic relief.