This Kevin Feige quote is embarrassing

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Says alot about where the movie industry is right now. Everyone looking for that next cookie cutter Blockbuster.

That's the only thing that makes money at the box office now

nobody is going to a movie theater to see a drama or a comedy, those days are over

only reason for to go to a theater now is to experience blockbusters with effects on a big ass screen

unless you have 75 inch OLED at home

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was watching clips of The Terminator (1984) on YouTube the other day and I marveled how they were able to make a dope movie for 6 million dollars, about 17 million in today's currency, with practical effects and puppets but nowadays they make crappy films with 200 million plus budgets with the CGI looking so bad.:francis:

Because the movie was simple, very few locations, the car chases were real people driving the cars, and the concept was good

it was a horror movie with a sci test, basically friday the 13th but instead of jason it's an android killing machine from the future

The movie is good and it wasn't because of the effects, it was just well made across the board

people making excuses, CGI is the future its great, people are just getting lazy and the best artist aren't working on every movie

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Meanwhile the SFX in Spider-man 2 have aged great. Probably because they used actual, real puppets for Dock Ock's mechanical arms for a lot of the movie. They also blended in the real arms and CGI arms into scenes so well that it's hard to tell which is which.

I used this video as an example in another thread a few weeks ago. I hope they'll actually bring the real arms back again, but....it's 2021 so we'll see.

Yeah but the CGI in those movies look terrible now

Matrix is the best of using CGI and Practical effects

the high way chase in reloaded is still a spectacle

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Meanwhile the SFX in Spider-man 2 have aged great. Probably because they used actual, real puppets for Dock Ock's mechanical arms for a lot of the movie. They also blended in the real arms and CGI arms into scenes so well that it's hard to tell which is which.

I used this video as an example in another thread a few weeks ago. I hope they'll actually bring the real arms back again, but....it's 2021 so we'll see.

This makes me think back to that prequel for The Thing from 2011 that was supposed to have practical effects but then the decision was made to scrap the practical stuff and use some of the most shoddy looking CGI I'd seen in a while.

The practical effects tests that have been posted online look like they would've been really cool in the movie.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
The thing about that Fiege quote that most stands out to me is that it took him watching Nomadland to realize that Zhao has a style that involves using light and landscapes to create engaging visuals which means he hired her for The Eternals without ever watching Songs My Brothers Taught Me or The Rider.

Why would you hand a big budget sci-fi leaning comic book movie to a pretty new director known for art house movies if you had no real idea of just what kind of director she was?
I caught that too. It indicated that he wasn’t as familiar with the previous work as you’d expect.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
You watch the OG Star Wars trilogy and it's only really certain cheap looking shyt and janky audio that really dates those movies

On the other hand, ten minutes into Phantom Menace and you're like ":picard:Yeah this was made in 1999" because of all the CGi that at the time was probably groundbreaking but now looks like a pre-rendered PS1 cutscene.

As much as I enjoy Marvel movies, them shyts be so fake looking compared to even the Raimi Spider-Man movies. Civil War is a hard movie to look at.
No doubt. I think audio dates things more than visuals. I think seeing a fake puppet or practical doesn’t take me out as much, because I know I’m looking at something real.

I think CGI has really been perfected when it comes to stuff like water, fire, landscapes, and other background images. But for full motion characters, monsters, faces, etc, not as much. Especially in fight or action scenes, there’s a lack of weight or a lack of density to the bodies that you’re watching.

my favorite era is when CGI was used to augment practical effects but wasn’t totally relied on. Jurassic Park era. And even T2 from 1991 holds up insanely well today.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
No doubt. I think audio dates things more than visuals. I think seeing a fake puppet or practical doesn’t take me out as much, because I know I’m looking at something real.

I think CGI has really been perfected when it comes to stuff like water, fire, landscapes, and other background images. But for full motion characters, monsters, faces, etc, not as much. Especially in fight or action scenes, there’s a lack of weight or a lack of density to the bodies that you’re watching.

my favorite era is when CGI was used to augment practical effects but wasn’t totally relied on. Jurassic Park era. And even T2 from 1991 holds up insanely well today.
Jurassic Park's CGI aged so much better than just about every other 90s movie. They used it sparingly, and mostly in the dark.

I feel like the expanded capabilities of CGI has caused directors to lose their discretion and just do all this wild shyt that looks fake and like you said, weightless. The thing about practical effects is it's an actual physical thing that EXISTS. You feel it. And I hate that even the sets are CGI, too. It's so obvious when these guys are just standing in a green screen with computer generated facility.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
This makes me think back to that prequel for The Thing from 2011 that was supposed to have practical effects but then the decision was made to scrap the practical stuff and use some of the most shoddy looking CGI I'd seen in a while.

The practical effects tests that have been posted online look like they would've been really cool in the movie.

A bummer that those didn’t make the cut. One of the scariest things to me about the John Carpenter version were those practical effects and how grotesque and skin-crawling they were. Crazy how we’re in 2021 and I haven’t seen anything yet that can top its effectiveness. It still puts most of these modern horror films to shame.

That scene with the defib will forever be embedded in my memory. :bryan:

Last edited:

downtheline

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in the DMV
E0E4veeXMAE8x4m

The fact that a director had to "fight" to use practical locations.

Or that one of the most powerful people in film is blown away by a film that doesn't use VFX like he didn't even know it was possible.

But this is what cinema is now....Disney won i guess :francis:
No one to blame but ourselves