This Kevin Feige quote is embarrassing

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The thing about that Fiege quote that most stands out to me is that it took him watching Nomadland to realize that Zhao has a style that involves using light and landscapes to create engaging visuals which means he hired her for The Eternals without ever watching Songs My Brothers Taught Me or The Rider.

Why would you hand a big budget sci-fi leaning comic book movie to a pretty new director known for art house movies if you had no real idea of just what kind of director she was?

For the name. Tons of directors left marvel movies because they butted heads with the producers.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
For the name. Tons of directors left marvel movies because they butted heads with the producers.
At the time Zhao wasn't "Oscar Winning Director Chloe Zhao", she was just an up and coming art house director who critics loved but the mainstream populace had no clue about.
And based on how she told Fiege she was adamant about filming on location she definitely didn't seem like the type to do what she was told. Her initial pitch must have been amazing.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The thing about that Fiege quote that most stands out to me is that it took him watching Nomadland to realize that Zhao has a style that involves using light and landscapes to create engaging visuals which means he hired her for The Eternals without ever watching Songs My Brothers Taught Me or The Rider.

Why would you hand a big budget sci-fi leaning comic book movie to a pretty new director known for art house movies if you had no real idea of just what kind of director she was?
Good call. Although again, he ain’t the only one. I’m sure a lot of studios pluck directors because off what they’re hearing about the current project without watching anything before. Or because of who is attached to the current project.

doesn’t make it right. I’d do my due diligence

Last edited:

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Probably but we're not gonna act like Feige doesn't know what hey doing either are we?
He's not above criticism like any other human ever:beli:I am not in anyway, sense, or form discrediting what he's done:beli:Just speaking on my perspective I would at least check out a persons work especially if I'm feeling the vision they are trying to do about my movie:beli:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
He's not above criticism like any other human ever:beli:I am not in anyway, sense, or form discrediting what he's done:beli:Just speaking on my perspective I would at least check out a persons work especially if I'm feeling the vision they are trying to do about me movie:beli:
NOBODY is above criticism. No producers or directors are perfect. I love Bond. It’s successful as hell for 60 years. But the broccolis have their misses. Spielberg has misses. All the greats have misses and Kevin is one of the greats. And he’d tell you he’s had misses.

Him showing his ignorance here doesn’t take anything away from his accomplishments :russ:

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
it still makes me :dwillhuh:..those times studios had to go practical because it was the cheapest alternative to computers

that once expensive ass CGI/VFX is now the cheaper alternative to practical..and practical is impractical, unless you a rich ass studio that wants to blow the bank (or some indie film maker who wants to use cheesy cheapass practical effects).

technology a motherfukker

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
it still makes me :dwillhuh:..those times studios had to go practical because it was the cheapest alternative to computers

that once expensive ass CGI/VFX is now the cheaper alternative to practical..and practical is impractical, unless you a rich ass studio that wants to blow the bank (or some indie film maker who wants to use cheesy cheapass practical effects).

technology a motherfukker
it reminds me of video game graphics. the whole industry was drawing pixels and it was no problem. polygons were tough on hardware and required specialized skills. then almost over night, you couldnt even get a large studio to do genuine, high quality 2D art anymore. left us with a whole generation of ugly 32-bit games.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
That’s Hollywood right now, homie. Studios want to do things on the cheap so VFX is where it’s at rather than practical stuff. It sucks though because it ages things at a faster clip and isn’t great for the actors.

Ironically I was reading Ewan Mcgregor’s interview in THR this morning where he talks a lot about the problems he had on episodes 2 and 3 when Lucas switched to all vfx shots.

Most of these flicks just shoot on sound stages now. That’s why it’s not an easy world to navigate. It sucks Feige is blown away but trust me, he ain’t the only one.
You watch the OG Star Wars trilogy and it's only really certain cheap looking shyt and janky audio that really dates those movies

On the other hand, ten minutes into Phantom Menace and you're like ":picard:Yeah this was made in 1999" because of all the CGi that at the time was probably groundbreaking but now looks like a pre-rendered PS1 cutscene.

As much as I enjoy Marvel movies, them shyts be so fake looking compared to even the Raimi Spider-Man movies. Civil War is a hard movie to look at.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
He's not above criticism like any other human ever:beli:I am not in anyway, sense, or form discrediting what he's done:beli:Just speaking on my perspective I would at least check out a persons work especially if I'm feeling the vision they are trying to do about my movie:beli:
I agreed, criticize all you want but in the end what does it mean? He wound up taking a chance on an inexperienced director based on her pitch and she later became THE director critically the same year the movie he hired her to directs comes out. Whoops I guess?! :ld:

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
it reminds me of video game graphics. the whole industry was drawing pixels and it was no problem. polygons were tough on hardware and required specialized skills. then almost over night, you couldnt even get a large studio to do genuine, high quality 2D art anymore. left us with a whole generation of ugly 32-bit games.

:mjcry: i miss those days of high quality sprite from majors

least indies sorta hold us down, even if a lot of the gameplay is basically either rogue-lites/likes or metroidvanias :russ::francis: (sometimes too much of a good thing)

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I get a feeling this movie isn’t going to work.

I see a lot of talk about how good it looks/is but not showing it.
It's still over 6 months out from the release date. Not to mention that until a week ago they knew the average moviegoer had no clue who Zhao was. Marvel knew her latest flick was Oscar bait so they have probably been waiting for her name to build up its buzz before they hit the hype machine on the movie's direction.

Last edited: