This “Good Times” remake is disrespectful as fukk smh pure minstrel show

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I hear what y'all saying in regards of only showing poor black people and not enough middle class and wealthy.

even going deeper into that the ones that show wealth are only there because of drugs/crime :beli:

or

its in a Tyler Perry show....he largely shows middle class/wealthy black people but the writing on his shows are so terrible its damn near negated

vino

Superstar
Daps
I hear what y'all saying in regards of only showing poor black people and not enough middle class and wealthy.

even going deeper into that the ones that show wealth are only there because of drugs/crime :beli:

or

its in a Tyler Perry show....he largely shows middle class/wealthy black people but the writing on his shows are so terrible its damn near negated

Blackish wasn’t like that and the ending was dope for Blackish

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Daps
One of the biggest problems with television is that some of the worst showrunners imaginable are constantly being elevated. There's an over emphasis on trashy, bottom tier #content which is designed specifically to get black women or gay men to hype the shows on social media. The popularity of reality TV has clearly influencer scripted shows. The writers are then tasked with creating similar dialogue, fights/confrontations, etc to go viral. Creating a good show is largely irrelevant. Creating a show that stirs online engagement is what matters. Even if people hate the show, they're going to watch so they can shyt on it online. The Velma show, which looks incredibly like this Good Times remake, used the same blueprint and got renewed for a second season.

In terms of the portrayals of lower income black people...sure you want more diverse writers involved but I don't think that's the biggest issue. You don't need black writers exclusively to write black characters. The writers just suck, man. Young writers who don't research topics or themes beyond a very-obvious parsing of twitter for ideas. The days of well read young TV writers are gone. You just need to know how young people talk now.

Black women and gay males need to be put in their place and shamed for the obnoxious bullshyt.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
One of the biggest problems with television is that some of the worst showrunners imaginable are constantly being elevated. There's an over emphasis on trashy, bottom tier #content which is designed specifically to get black women or gay men to hype the shows on social media. The popularity of reality TV has clearly influencer scripted shows. The writers are then tasked with creating similar dialogue, fights/confrontations, etc to go viral. Creating a good show is largely irrelevant. Creating a show that stirs online engagement is what matters. Even if people hate the show, they're going to watch so they can shyt on it online. The Velma show, which looks incredibly like this Good Times remake, used the same blueprint and got renewed for a second season.

In terms of the portrayals of lower income black people...sure you want more diverse writers involved but I don't think that's the biggest issue. You don't need black writers exclusively to write black characters. The writers just suck, man. Young writers who don't research topics or themes beyond a very-obvious parsing of twitter for ideas. The days of well read young TV writers are gone. You just need to know how young people talk now.

I saw people bring up The Cosby Show and it's interesting that they did, because that show could have easily turned out a different way if Bill Cosby let the writers do whatever they wanted. Malcolm Jamal-Warner has said multiple times that the reason you never saw stereotypical stuff on The Cosby Show wasn't because the writers weren't writing it, but because Cosby was keeping it from being shot and aired. He fought with the writers for years over what the show should be and constantly doing rewrites, telling them their jobs were on the line if they didn't perform. He gave that same advice to Damon Wayans when he made My Wife and Kids, because the belief was that if you don't put your foot down with the writers from the beginning, it's not your show anymore.

A lot of writers on predominantly black TV shows had to be taught to get with the program. Somebody has to be in charge and deal with things with a firm hand by saying this is how the show is going to be run. This is the vision. I don't think anybody working on this show has a vision for it beyond just showing stereotypes. What connects it to the original Good Times? Why is it about a new generation of the Evans family when it could have just been the same family in animated form? Why did it even have to be animated? John Amos and Esther Rolle fought against stereotypes and buffoonery. This show seems to be openly embracing it.

Daps
I saw people bring up The Cosby Show and it's interesting that they did, because that show could have easily turned out a different way if Bill Cosby let the writers do whatever they wanted. Malcolm Jamal-Warner has said multiple times that the reason you never saw stereotypical stuff on The Cosby Show wasn't because the writers weren't writing it, but because Cosby was keeping it from being shot and aired. He fought with the writers for years over what the show should be and constantly doing rewrites, telling them their jobs were on the line if they didn't perform. He gave that same advice to Damon Wayans when he made My Wife and Kids, because the belief was that if you don't put your foot down with the writers from the beginning, it's not your show anymore.

A lot of writers on predominantly black TV shows had to be taught to get with the program. Somebody has to be in charge and deal with things with a firm hand by saying this is how the show is going to be run. This is the vision. I don't think anybody working on this show has a vision for it beyond just showing stereotypes. What connects it to the original Good Times? Why is it about a new generation of the Evans family when it could have just been the same family in animated form? Why did it even have to be animated? John Amos and Esther Rolle fought against stereotypes and buffoonery. This show seems to be openly embracing it.
alvin poussaint, a black psychiatrist who was educated at columbia and became a dean at harvard medical school, was an advisor to the cosby show during its entire run. he consulted with cosby on how the stories were told, assisting on depictions that avoided stereotypes and presented a positive and empowering example of the black family.

:francis:

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
shyt is clearly meant to be absurd but i dont see how it could appeal to an adult audience. at least any adults i know

i cut it off when they were in the "woman hood" floating on a tampon

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

Typical off code c00n rationalizing.
giphy.gif

br82186

Superstar
Daps
Again....Norman Lear(probably a 'you did it first' credit but still) and Seth McFarlane producing. It's gonna be a Cleveland Show knock off. The white guy that voiced Cleveland is probably doing voices.
Breh even the Cleveland Show wasn't this abrasive.

I do find it funny that Seth McFarlane wants nothing to do with that show and is doing his best to erase it from memory, but this is the show that's gonna give him credibility again :dead: