This “Good Times” remake is disrespectful as fukk smh pure minstrel show

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
:ehh:

There was a lil bit of that…. but the Cosby show wasn’t relatable to a lot of its black demographic because the majority hadn’t never seen a black family set up like that before… With that being said, we still rocked with it and even found it inspiring to a degree
I grew up in the 80's and I can tell u this personally, that when new episodes of the cosby show aired, EVERYONE was talking about it the next day at school

vino

Superstar
Daps
A lot of folks don't know this because of revisionism....but the Cosby Show got dragged for being 'unrealistic'. It wasn't a ton of folks doing it but there was def a sizablrle chunk of folks who acted like it detracted from 'the struggle' by showing black folks who weren't struggling. :sas2:

But, the dynamics from 80’s to now have change. Also, Cosby was one of the biggest show during that time. That was huge for Black America. Black people largely loved that show. I was a kid on the east side Detroit and that shaped a lot of my perspective, even though I was around nothing that related to that.

I have to add there is still more positive representation for Black people than ever though. It’s just this cartoon was very disrespectful

Last edited:

RamsayBolton

Superstar
Daps
In terms of the portrayals of lower income black people...sure you want more diverse writers involved but I don't think that's the biggest issue. You don't need black writers exclusively to write black characters. The writers just suck, man. Young writers who don't research topics or themes beyond a very-obvious parsing of twitter for ideas. The days of well read young TV writers are gone. You just need to know how young people talk now.

This shyt is a crying shame

You watch or read old media and the writers are making references to Shakespeare, Edgard Allen Poe, Confucius, Homer

versus media coming out these days referencing trending hashtags from two year ago :pachaha:

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
One of the biggest problems with television is that some of the worst showrunners imaginable are constantly being elevated. There's an over emphasis on trashy, bottom tier #content which is designed specifically to get black women or gay men to hype the shows on social media. The popularity of reality TV has clearly influencer scripted shows. The writers are then tasked with creating similar dialogue, fights/confrontations, etc to go viral. Creating a good show is largely irrelevant. Creating a show that stirs online engagement is what matters. Even if people hate the show, they're going to watch so they can shyt on it online. The Velma show, which looks incredibly like this Good Times remake, used the same blueprint and got renewed for a second season.

In terms of the portrayals of lower income black people...sure you want more diverse writers involved but I don't think that's the biggest issue. You don't need black writers exclusively to write black characters. The writers just suck, man. Young writers who don't research topics or themes beyond a very-obvious parsing of twitter for ideas. The days of well read young TV writers are gone. You just need to know how young people talk now.
Yup