This girl is 100% Afram but does she look "Black" to you?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
alright, just did the research on my own, your right. Apparently, it was Stokely Carmichael and some other activists.

The modern use of "Blackness" is older

OLMXQM7.png

James McCune Smith (April 18, 1813 – November 17, 1865)

was an American physician, apothecary, abolitionist, and author. He is the first African American to hold a medical degree and graduated at the top in his class at the University of Glasgow, Scotland. He was the first African American to run a pharmacy in the United States.

In addition to practicing as a doctor for nearly 20 years at the Colored Orphan Asylum in Manhattan, Smith was a public intellectual: he contributed articles to medical journals, participated in learned societies, and wrote numerous essays and articles drawing from his medical and statistical training. He used his training in medicine and statistics to refute common misconceptions about race, intelligence, medicine, and society in general. Invited as a founding member of the New York Statistics Society in 1852, which promoted a new science, he was elected as a member in 1854 of the recently founded American Geographic Society. But, he was never admitted to the American Medical Association or local medical associations.

He has been most well known for his leadership as an abolitionist; a member of the American Anti-Slavery Society, with Frederick Douglass he helped start the National Council of Colored People in 1853, the first permanent national organization for blacks. Douglass said that Smith was "the single most important influence on his life."[1] Smith was one of the Committee of Thirteen, who organized in 1850 in New York City to resist the newly passed Fugitive Slave Law by aiding fugitive slaves through the Underground Railroad. Other leading abolitionist activists were among his friends and colleagues. From the 1840s, he lectured on race and abolitionism and wrote numerous articles to refute racist ideas about black capacities.

The first African American to receive a medical degree, this invaluable collection brings together the writings of James McCune Smith, one of the foremost intellectuals in antebellum America. The Works of James McCune Smith is one of the first anthologies featuring the works of this illustrious scholar. Perhaps best known for his introduction to Fredrick Douglass's My Bondage and My Freedom, his influence is still found in a number of aspects of modern society and social interactions. And he was considered by many to be a prophet of the twenty-first century. One of the earliest advocates of the use of "black" instead of "colored," McCune Smith treated racial identities as social constructions, arguing that American literature, music, and dance would be shaped and defined by blacks.

The absence of James McCune Smith in the historiographic and critical literature is even more striking. He was a brilliant scholar, writer, and critic, as well as a first rate physician. In 1882 the black leader Alexander Crummell called him "the most learned Negro of his day," and Frederick Douglass considered him the most important black influence in his life (much as he considered Gerrit Smith the most important white one). Douglass was probably correct when, in 1859, he publicly stated: "No man in this country more thoroughly understands the whole struggle between freedom and slavery, than does Dr. Smith, and his heart is as broad as his understanding."

As a prose stylist and original thinker, McCune Smith ranks, at his best, alongside such canonical figures as Emerson and Thoreau. His essays are sophisticated and elegant, his interpretations of American culture are way ahead of his time, and his experimental style and use of dialect anticipates some of the Harlem Renaissance writers of the 1920s. Yet McCune Smith has been completely ignored by literary critics; and aside from one article on him, he has remained absent from the historical record.

Stokely Carmichael helped spread it's more recent-modern usage but

edit: it could have been this guy, but he doesn't look black to me.

The guy above (Adam Clayton Powell) who was Afram, coined the phrase:whoo:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
So white Brits, French and Dutch all use the term because of AAs? Gotcha :ehh:

Yes. Africans just identified with their tribes and had their own color concepts. Ethiopians didn't even see themselves as "black" until they got hit with the Afram concept and PanAfricanism.

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Maybe in a fairly tale universe where people only couple with people who are the exact same skin tone as them.

And please do tell me these regions of America that are exclusively light skin and dark skin :mjlol:

As support for my assertion, the dark skin concentration in the South is much higher than is the case in California, partly because there are more dark skins in the South in the first place. There is nowhere on the planet where this pattern does not hold (if you can find me one, I implore you do so).

No they have children around the same complexions, dark and lighter.

ZcfC5oz.jpg

This picture is an anecdote and doesn't prove your point in the slightest. These people all look around the same skin tone, which is what I said.

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes. Africans just identified with their tribes and had their own color concepts. Ethiopians didn't even see themselves as "black" until they got hit with the Afram concept and PanAfricanism.

The term "black" predates African Americans and Pan Africanism. The word "negro" and its derivative literally mean "black" in several West European languages.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
As support for my assertion, the dark skin concentration in the South is much higher than is the case in California, partly because there are more dark skins in the South in the first place. There is nowhere on the planet where this pattern does not hold (if you can find me one, I implore you do so).

I live in the South..... light skins everywhere :dahell:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
You are changing the goal posts. Nothing in the above post conflicts with what I said. I did not mention Carribeans because they are not a historically American minority. I mentioned African Americans, Hispanics and Natives, historically American minorities. Of these minorities, African Americans are the least mixed.

Inside/native the USA? No, Native Americans are purer and I said the true admx rate that took place in AfroAmerica got obscured with splinter groups.

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I live in the South..... light skins everywhere :dahell:

You obviously cannot read. I have continuously stressed that dark skins make a higher proportion or concentration of people in the South than somewhere like Cali. This does not mean there aren't many lights skins, only that they male up less of the overall proportion than is the case elsewhere.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The term "black" predates African Americans and Pan Africanism. The word "negro" and its derivative literally mean "black" in several West European languages.

I said this above but the term "black" as we know today/it's modern usage doesn't predate Aframs.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
He's not the first non-American black i've seen claim that the south has the least amount of light skinned people. Funny because the south in America is the one place that these non-American blacks never visit.

I saw less light skins living in Harlem and Crown Heights on average than I did the South :dahell: