This Gen will be defined by RPG's

Marci-Senpai

Prosperity, longevity and a sound mind.
Daps
Reppin
More Life, Truth & Accountability
last gen as we all know was the gen that really brought rise to FPS with games like call of duty and battlefield dominating gaming sales.....this gen we gonna witness a shift and RPG games are gonna takeover the market brehs :blessed:

just watching footage of witcher 3 and dragon age inquisition got me like :ohhh: :lawd:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Its crazy how a game like Final Fantasy Verses XIII (XV) can take damn near 10 years to come out and in less than that span we can get three Dragon Age games and three Mass Effect games. Western RPGs have shown how incompetent these Japanese developers are. These fools should quit building their own engines from scratch and just license Unreal like everybody else.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
Its crazy how a game like Final Fantasy Verses XIII (XV) can take damn near 10 years to come out and in less than that span we can get three Dragon Age games and three Mass Effect games. Western RPGs have shown how incompetent these Japanese developers are. These fools should quit building their own engines from scratch and just license Unreal like everybody else.

Bethesda made Fallout 3 and Skyrim in that time period too.

I think the issue with Japanese RPGs now is they are too rigid, they rarely let you create your own character and they're telling you a story that you can't deviate from, while the Western developers create the framework of the story and within that story you can be whatever you want to be.

Ice Cold

King of Blades
Daps
Witcher 3 has GOTY 2015 on lock #TrueFACT
DA:I could very well mess around and be GOTY this year, Shadow of Mordor also has some RPG elements to it.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
Witcher 3 has GOTY 2015 on lock #TrueFACT
DA:I could very well mess around and be GOTY this year, Shadow of Mordor also has some RPG elements to it.

Dragon Age looks good, I just hate the fact it's one of those "fake" open world games, where they have artifical barriers all around you so that you really can't get too far off the road, sort of like Fable.

The Witcher is just straight up open world :blessed:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Bethesda made Fallout 3 and Skyrim in that time period too.

I think the issue with Japanese RPGs now is they are too rigid, they rarely let you create your own character and they're telling you a story that you can't deviate from, while the Western developers create the framework of the story and within that story you can be whatever you want to be.
I'd rather not create my own character. I typically use the stock main character with the default name.

As for the story you can't really deviate from the core story of the game. Most things happen regardless of what choices you make. They give you minor choices in many of these Western RPGs but usually regardless of what you pick you're shoehorned into the same plot. The Japanese fail at building convincing open worlds you're free to explore. their games are becoming more and more linear some of which don't have world maps you can freely walk.

It's like the problem with Final Fantasy XIII. If you're gonna make that linear of a game then the story and characters have to be top notch to make up for it. A game with a sub par story and annoying characters that's highly linear has nothing to fall back on.

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
Open-world gaming is gonna be the move in general. Or atleast games with massive worlds and crazy draw distances. If RPG's can take advantage of this and bring great stories/characters, then I agree with OP. Next-gen Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect, etc. are gonna have to bring all kinds of noise.

And i do believe indy gaming will see a greater surge in the coming years. Nothing crazy but they'll definitely carve more of their own space like they are now.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Will never happen. Fukk mann JRPGs died last gen :upsetfavre:
That's because people in Japan don't care about console gaming as much. They're more into mobile and handheld gaming so the focus moved there. JRPGs are just a mostly dead genre anyway. They're one of the casualties of technology advancing and increasing game budgets.

Some indie developers are picking up the mantel but realistically outside Tales of and Final Fantasy large scale JRPGs are gone and will never come back.

Look at our development scene here. If a Game like Tomb Raider or Bioshock Infinite sells several million copies the publisher is grumbling it didn't meet expectations. If a JRPG reaches a million in sales these days that's impressive.