This corporate world isn't what it's hyped up to be

Sinnerman

Veteran
Daps
I'm happy I intern/will work later in a casual environment, lawd knows I would go crazy. But the money would be worth it

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
All of the meetings and having to dress business casual all the time gets old. Having to talk proper all day at work. I see guys down in the mail room and loading docks yelling and debating about sports and women as I walk by with some snudy whites and c00n blacks. :to:

They don't know I'm from the hood and I'm just like them. They think I'm a c00n too. I miss bullshytting and being a normal black dude. The money is good and you can get a nice car, crib and pull snudy boring career women, but the money isn't enough to put you in the upperclass, it's only enough to isolate yourself from the people most like you.

:yeshrug: What's young black man to do?

this may be true and all. but when you get that check every two weeks, you lookin like :ahh: and them mail room nikkas lookin like :sadcam:

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
This is why I like working for a company with a modern laidback culture... We have a rec room with a pool table, beer, wine, and arcade games.... My boss wore sandals into work today.... When we have clients onsite we have to dress more traditional though...

this cat works at google :myman:

J_rock

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You obviously have no clue what the OP is talking about.

The dudes in the mailroom get through the day during their job being theirselves.

Me I got to fake laugh at corny jokes, small talk about their weekend where they talk 30 minutes about the fishing they did.

Think before I say anything and just keep my true feelings and thoughts to myself.

I have 0 in common with the people I work with. Last week it was a malnourished dog in the parking lot and my white female coworker came in Here crying because the dog was homeless an anorexic:snoop:

I know exactly what he's talking about. I've worked in the corporate world. I'm in grad school right now and when I'm done, I'll probably be going right back to working in corporate. Like Ram, I grew up in a working class family in a working class neighborhood. Most of my friends growing up were cats from the hood. But when I was younger my school decided I was a smart kid so they put me in classes that were mostly white. I went to a mostly white university for undergrad, I've worked at mostly white companies, and I'm attending a mostly white university for grad school. I know all about having to hide who you are around white people.

You say the dudes in the mailroom get through their day being themselves? That may be true, but I doubt it. No one gets to really be themselves in the work world. Workplaces are inherently artificial environments. No one expresses themselves fully. Even Obama has to play politics and he's the president. Whats worse for the mail room guys is that their jobs are boring and menial and they have no chance at career or professional growth. Plus they make no money. If you asked any of them, they would switch places with you in a second.

Like I said earlier, no ones forcing you to laugh at your coworkers corny jokes. Instead of small talking about their weekend, how about you talk about what you did instead. Talk about sports. Who doesn't like sports? Be confident and assertive rather than making up your mind that you're an outsider and you belong at the bottom of the totem pole because it'd be easier to keep it real. Act like you belong where you are and like there's nothing wrong with being in your position. Don't adjust to them. Make them adjust to you.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Ive learned that those white people you think are lame and dry know about sports too. One day i was walking past some cubicles and heard some deep NBA talk, stopped by and saw like 3 of my coworkers i swear never touched a basketball in their life. College football is really their thing though, white dudes are really into that, esp. if they from the south.

Daps
Reppin
SoFla
cosign... I turned down a job offer to work in a big law firm and took significantly less money to work with my cousin in his law office... having a boss, wearing a suit every day, being around wack uppity people, working long hours and having to be there at a certain time every morning, etc. just wasn't worth it... if I'm running a little late these days, it ain't a big deal. shyt, half the time I stroll in the office rockin basketball shorts and slides unless we have a client coming in that day because it's only me, my cuz, my brother, and the secretary in there :win:

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
cosign... I turned down a job offer to work in a big law firm and took significantly less money to work with my cousin in his law office... having a boss, wearing a suit every day, being around wack uppity people, working long hours and having to be there at a certain time every morning, etc. just wasn't worth it... if I'm running a little late these days, it ain't a big deal. shyt, half the time I stroll in the office rockin basketball shorts and slides unless we have a client coming in that day because it's only me, my cuz, my brother, and the secretary in there :win:

:dwillhuh:

Seems dope, what was your degree in college tho? Are you really seeing chips? I mean a nikka like me wouldnt mind having a gig like that for 22-27 but eventually I would wanna boss up and do bigger and better things.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
You obviously have no clue what the OP is talking about.

The dudes in the mailroom get through the day during their job being theirselves.

Me I got to fake laugh at corny jokes, small talk about their weekend where they talk 30 minutes about the fishing they did.

Think before I say anything and just keep my true feelings and thoughts to myself.

I have 0 in common with the people I work with. Last week it was a malnourished dog in the parking lot and my white female coworker came in Here crying because the dog was homeless an anorexic:snoop:
Well then the question is, is being able to "kick it with the homies" on the job more important than all the freedoms and luxuries your corporate job affords you?

Is having to put up with coworkers really that horrible?

I just keep to myself at the office... there are a few Ghanaians and other black people I talk to, and some generally cool people, but other than that I don't do small talk at all. I just do my job and deal with the people I need to deal with. Might hold me back a little bit but its better for everyone involved

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I put it like this. I got hired w/my cubemate, and I can go days without talking to her, and its no problem (for me at least). She loves all that meaningless corny joke small talk, but I hinted that that's not really my flow. I had a cubemate at my old job who was just like me... real quiet + kept to herself, but when we had happy hours or whatever we would shoot the shyt. I used to work w/construction dudes and we would shoot the shyt all day.

Like j rock said when you let other people define how you interact with them you are taking a needless L. If the OP wants to talk to those mailroom brehs he should just fukking talk to them. If Crimson doesn't wanna talk to his coworkers about stupid shyt he shouldn't. You have to let these people know they are corny and not put up with their shyt. Otherwise you will lose your mind trying to live in their construct

Daps
Reppin
SoFla
:dwillhuh:

Seems dope, what was your degree in college tho? Are you really seeing chips? I mean a nikka like me wouldnt mind having a gig like that for 22-27 but eventually I would wanna boss up and do bigger and better things.

my degree was in Legal Studies, just graduated from law school... studying for the bar right now so I'm in there on a part time basis for the time being... I could've made six figures at a big firm in Miami, but I'll probably make around $80K for the next year or two... the dope thing is though, if I bring in a big case (we do some personal injury, wrongful death, slip and fall stuff), I'd see a big percentage of the settlement, so my salary isn't really capped

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
It ain't really about 'going back to the hood' more than it is about working a job with people you actually like. I would say the people you are around make at least 70% of how much you will enjoy the job. If you have a micromanaging boss and are around job snitches, even an easy job is terrible... but difficult work can be fun if you are around laid-back cats who handle the job but don't let their job define them... aka corporate bots.

Francis White

i been away to long, my feeling died.
Daps
Reppin
New York, New York
All of the meetings and having to dress business casual all the time gets old. Having to talk proper all day at work. I see guys down in the mail room and loading docks yelling and debating about sports and women as I walk by with some snudy whites and c00n blacks. :to:

They don't know I'm from the hood and I'm just like them. They think I'm a c00n too. I miss bullshytting and being a normal black dude. The money is good and you can get a nice car, crib and pull snudy boring career women, but the money isn't enough to put you in the upperclass, it's only enough to isolate yourself from the people most like you.

:yeshrug: What's young black man to do?
Man, listen and the end of the day be yourself, making money for you and your family is more important than being the "crew" with no money and no future. I used to work retail with guys like that, i was a lucky 1 i made it into corporate and i had guys wanting me to fail because i was off on weekends, making double what they were getting. It was an eye opener, yes i got treated poorly in corporate but i sprung into a more lucrative job afterwards , while those same guys hating got a 20% pay cut when the company got sold and were told they would never get prompted. :pacspit: Being smart and respected is never something to be ashamed of. The hire you go in life is the only way to be happy, making the hood proud by being a success is better than hanging on the block broke.