They coming at John Boyega's neck for saying Game of Thrones lacks black characters

Anwulika

All Star
Daps
OP is right. Black Brits refer to themselves as British though rather than African-Brit (or similar). Black Brit is used at a push when the distinction actually makes a difference (like as part of a political point) BUT almost never (ever) as African-Brit unless they (or their family) have recently arrived from Africa.

Why would we refer to ourselves as 'African-British' when we can identify the African/Caribbean countries we come from? If you don't see a black person over here referring to themselves by their country of origin then you'd likely see them referring to themselves as 'black british'. Btw, almost all black people over here have recently arrived- the first wave of black immigration came in the 1950s, and that was mostly Afro-Caribbean people.

50% of black males (or thereabouts) are in a mixed relationship so the level of mixing is high. There is and was little to no slavery in the UK and no KKK/Civil Rights/Sundown towns/segregation/etc etc etc. So the surface animosity is NOT at the level that you have in the states. Even now there is less segregation and in the big cities almost no one takes notice of mixed friends or couples. The US norm where you lead with cultural / racial affiliation first and person next is almost absent from UK public life.

I wonder why so many black people trust in these statistics cultivated by white people for a specific purpose without ever questioning the motive of it? 50% of black men here are not in a mixed relationship- how could someone even believe that?

Under those circumstances where socially many people are fine with each other many blacks do not subscribe to the notion that 'Whites are evil". The system stymies blacks economically but as economical achievement is not the be-all and end-all of life as it is in the states many people will not even notice this. As this economy changes this is becoming more noticeable but it is still far from widespread.

Many people are not fine with each other. Many black people know that once they step out of London, and even some places within the city, that they are not welcome. White people have a way of making you feel like that without even uttering a word. Yes, racism is generally more subtle here than it is in America but you've got to consider the fact that blacks over here don't even take up 3% of the population. We all know that once that number starts to rise, these white people will start brandishing their racism with much more force. Also, you don't think that black people over here don't know that white people economically oppress us systematically?

In short "White Supremacy" is not a belief that has gained more than negligible traction in the UK and to be fair, the more logical mind of the Brit would find it hard to use a term which embodies the very notion that it is supposed to be fighting. "White Ideology" maybe, "White Paranoia" perhaps, 'White
Supremacy" NEVER.

If you ask the average black person in England/the UK "what" they are they will say "British". End of story.

No, they would say likely say that they're British, followed by their country of origin or their country of origin, followed by "British". This is especially true for those of direct African descent, who actually make up the majority of black brits now. If you, as an American, ask them what they are then they're likely to say "British" though, as you'd already know that they are black. Just like an American black would tell me that they are American if I asked them what they were.

Also, not pinpointing white supremacy exactly as that doesn't mean that they don't believe that it exists. To them, it might just be boiled down to 'racism', which many black people, not just UK blacks mistake it as.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
<... snip ..>

Also, not pinpointing white supremacy exactly as that doesn't mean that they don't believe that it exists. To them, it might just be boiled down to 'racism', which many black people, not just UK blacks mistake it as.

I'm British.

As an Arsenal Fan you are probably familiar with this ArsenalFanTV .

The dynamics on that channel and the people that appear on that channel show a social cohesiveness and race-ambivalence that is absent from the USA. This an example that YOU as might be familiar with. In broader terms race is not the lead topic, multi-culture is not a buzz-word, white supremacy is not a theme. In that group they are just a bunch of people who support a team. In the US equivalent there would be marked differentiators so that they would be no longer seen as a group of fans but rather a prefix-group or groups.

Socially people in the UK are SUPERFICIALLY peaceful with each other and are in fact in action (such as marriage) mixing a lot more. Those are the facts.

I have already stated that racism exists in the UK. "White Supremacy" is more than just "racism". It is a system.

White Supremacy (as defined) is an explanation of the reasons for and an acknowledgement of the the all pervasive scope of white pathological racism and includes psychology, genetics and societal systems. This is simply not a part of the broader black social geist in the UK.

Last edited:

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
If the show is all white. And you as a black or whatever minority are still watching it, they have zero incentive to change. :yeshrug:

So logically speaking the solution would be to not even watch these shows. And in doing that, you wouldn't even know what's going on the show to complain about it.
As to people saying why black people watch it, let's be honest, race plays little to no role in the plot. :manny: It's a show about cunning, betrayal, strategy, incest and nobility.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
I wonder why so many black people trust in these statistics cultivated by white people for a specific purpose without ever questioning the motive of it? 50% of black men here are not in a mixed relationship- how could someone even believe that?

"Mixed-race people are the fastest growing ethnic minority group (defined according to the National Statistics classification) in the UK and, with all mixed categories counted as one sole group, are predicted to be the largest minority group by 2020 (above British Indian).[10]:"

As the bible says "you will know them by their fruits"..
In this case the children are an indication.
And yes small numbers => high percentage growth but the mixed-race population is growing at a fast rate relative to the black one (and faster than the equivalent in the USA which is what we are comparing it with).

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
The targs represent Mongolians. Y'all reaching, ain't no blacks in it besides the slaves.

The damn creators are doing a damn white supremacy fantasy show about " what if we kept slavery in America "

I know what the dragons represent & it's deliberate that she's leading the 'dark brown people'
look I don't even care if they have black people in the show or not, but Moors are what those dragons represent

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
How the heck is there any confusions to what I said? Instead of worrying about black characters NOT being in white shows based on white people history, how about instead researching African history and doing a show based on what you studied. Thats what the creator of GOT did. He RESEARCHED European history which inspired him to make a show like GOT.

Great point. I think the breh maybe might not really be aware of bigger movement of black people organizing themselves do our own stuff. Whether it's in movies, litterature, music, etc...yes it would flatter the ego to have more black people on big shows (I dont watch GoT, might some day, just not into series that much in general) but you don't want to be content with that or just be filling quotas. This is why I don't support the whole "We need a Black James Bond" or "We need a Female Ghostbusters" or whatever. Do something new, create something. There's people moving in different fields creating their own stuff, do your research and build together. I'd rather that than have brehs basically beg to have a seat at the table.

AmenhotepIV

All Star
Daps
Reppin
KTown
Show is based on fake medieval Europe.
Why would there be black people like that?

They intentionally don't put black people in there

But put white people in egypt...persia...china...Japan based historical films fiction or nah

If it's fictional it can have any type of characters...Even Anime has white chacters...and they are based in Japan and Korea...so stop it

This is his book so he can put anyone he wants...but when the show is on the other foot (The Hunger Games andDisney's Star Wars) people get analysis adjacent