Therapy speak terminology that makes you cringe in 2024

Daps
Reppin
HAWAII
A lot of these hoes (and dudes too I guess) be outchea using therapy terminology in everyday conversations and often times using the words/concepts incorrectly and that shyt really be annoying. They try to get the moral high ground on you because "they have been to therapy and know what they are talking about". Guess what? I been to therapy too and am really invested in the shyt via classes and social circle and what not and I know God damn well they ain't using the shyt correctly. Pop psychology and tiktok hoes got these muthafukkas thinking they really onto something but they got it all twisted and confused and begin living into a diagnosis they gave themselves :laff:

"I'm just setting a healthy boundary" :jbhmm:

"You can live your truth, but this is my truth" <----- if you have your truth and it's different from an objective truth based in reality then guess what? It's not the truth its your fukking opinion

"Stop gaslighting me" - often used when you're simply disagreeing with them and backing it up with logic/facts they don't wanna hear

"You're being a manipulative narcissist" -most times people use this they don't even know the definition of it

"I need you to validate my feelings" :hhh:

"I need to be heard, and seen, I need a safe space to feel vulnerable" :to:

-Just people in general not being able to differentiate between thoughts, feelings, opinions, beliefs, facts. Assuming that if it's what they "feel" or based on their "intuition" then it must be right. Guess what? Some people "feel" like shooting up an elementary school today. Should we "validate their feelings"? Nah we call em fukking crazy and dangerous

I'll be back to add on more as I think of the ones I encounter often

Post your therapy speak pet peeves

Hoshi_Toshi

Superstar
Daps
I don’t have an issue with black people in general taking mental health more serious than our parents/grandparents. But some of these people are just using it to continue keeping up fukkery while making it harder for you to call them out.

Combine this terminology with the horoscope bs and I just want to get up and leave the conversation.

Sir Richard Spirit

Superstar
Daps
I honestly believe the whole “mental health” movement is for people to accept being weak and for people to look at their current conditions as acceptable.

I was raised to believe hard times make you stronger. Now? They tell people to call this number and help you talk through it. Text a therapist when things get rough. All types of silly shyt.

Daps
Reppin
HAWAII
You’re just an insensitive a$$hole breh

Ehh I've considered this point long and hard (nh) and in my ruminations I've come to the conclusion that I am not indeed an insensitive a$$hole. I only have a problem with people using this type of talk in order to obfuscate the issues at hand or to get some moral high ground by equivocating and muddying the discussion or just simply dikk riding trends and using the concepts/words wrong.

People are hurt out here and struggling and I'm one of them, but we need to use these tools constructively and accurately in order to make any progress.

Thank you for bringing that up though as I can see how this post could be construed as me just being an insensitive dismissive jerk. :salute:

LowkeyD

All Star
Daps
My unhinged stud sister in law is a certified therapist. I avoid all conversations during family gatherings due to the nature of such terms being used. She gets drunk and then blindly uses therapists vernacular while she “reads” the room to everyone. It’s truly a spectacle.

Justin Nitsuj

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
A lot of these hoes (and dudes too I guess) be outchea using therapy terminology in everyday conversations and often times using the words/concepts incorrectly and that shyt really be annoying. They try to get the moral high ground on you because "they have been to therapy and know what they are talking about". Guess what? I been to therapy too and am really invested in the shyt via classes and social circle and what not and I know God damn well they ain't using the shyt correctly. Pop psychology and tiktok hoes got these muthafukkas thinking they really onto something but they got it all twisted and confused and begin living into a diagnosis they gave themselves :laff:

"I'm just setting a healthy boundary" :jbhmm:

"You can live your truth, but this is my truth" <----- if you have your truth and it's different from an objective truth based in reality then guess what? It's not the truth its your fukking opinion

"Stop gaslighting me" - often used when you're simply disagreeing with them and backing it up with logic/facts they don't wanna hear

"You're being a manipulative narcissist" -most times people use this they don't even know the definition of it

"I need you to validate my feelings" :hhh:

"I need to be heard, and seen, I need a safe space to feel vulnerable" :to:

-Just people in general not being able to differentiate between thoughts, feelings, opinions, beliefs, facts. Assuming that if it's what they "feel" or based on their "intuition" then it must be right. Guess what? Some people "feel" like shooting up an elementary school today. Should we "validate their feelings"? Nah we call em fukking crazy and dangerous

I'll be back to add on more as I think of the ones I encounter often

Post your therapy speak pet peeves
To the bolded part, I hope you’re not black saying this bullshyt. As a matter of fact, I don’t think you’re black saying this bullshyt :scust:

Daps
Reppin
HAWAII
Trauma is the most over used hoe word. Instant bushes.

Trauma is real and acknowledging trauma is important. But at the same time it's incredibly dangerous to call small hurdles in life "traumas". Like how do people think we made it as a species this far? By going through trauma and continuing to live life. Living into the diagnosis is a real thing and incredibly dangerous.