Religion/Spirituality Theism Discussion (Abrahamic Religions, Religious Philosophy, etc.)

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
he also gave poseidon control of the oceans, and communicated thru muhammad (piss be upon him)

maybe thats why you relate to god so well; you both have so many aliases :ehh:
God gives everyone power, even the strength for you to recite demonic filth to friends, which is saddening but i guess its all apart of Gods plan. Someone has to be the antonym to the power of good. I guess you've stepped up to the plate like pinch hitters to be the example of rubbish for friends to assist in being the opposite. Good job friend but lets turn to God and the power of good in the next 3 seconds so we arent crushed flattened and made humble.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
My problem is this...

How is someone who is a deist moving the goalpost different than a person who relies on science that moves the goalpost based on discovery?

Empirical evidence? Information? Data? You're putting your faith in the Universe and our shared experience that those things even have any kind of validity.

I don't think we will ever become fully omniscient, so that just means you either worship God or you worship Data. Both seem a bit silly to me.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
does anyone ever address why the magical things that happened in the bible dont happen today?

i mean obviously the reason is because they;'re fables, and we know better. but seriously, why dont people live 500 years and why doesnt satan become animals to talk to people, etc

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Not really sure the relevance to "Creationism" and Christianity is but one of the many religions.

Prodigital

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
".. the Universe formed from the debris ejected when a four-dimensional star collapsed into a black hole." :aicmon:

I can't believe you snobs will argue the case for four dimensional objects and look beyond forms of spirituality... you're missing the whole point. The harder you look, the more you'll find, but there will never be a conclusive explanation. Just as much as every time we find smaller particles we postulate even smaller particles. We find gigantic structures in the universe, and then we find even more giant. Existence is fractal in nature, which i don't think can be understood until science and spirituality stop fighting bickering.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
".. the Universe formed from the debris ejected when a four-dimensional star collapsed into a black hole." :aicmon:

I can't believe you snobs will argue the case for four dimensional objects and look beyond forms of spirituality... you're missing the whole point. The harder you look, the more you'll find, but there will never be a conclusive explanation. Just as much as every time we find smaller particles we postulate even smaller particles. We find gigantic structures in the universe, and then we find even more giant. Existence is fractal in nature, which i don't think can be understood until science and spirituality stop fighting bickering.

Yep, you can only control your subjective reality. Science is cool to understand how and most religion provide cool historical context and narratives but neither will lead us to omniscience.

Last edited:

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
My problem is this...

How is someone who is a deist moving the goalpost different than a person who relies on science that moves the goalpost based on discovery?

Empirical evidence? Information? Data? You're putting your faith in the Universe and our shared experience that those things even have any kind of validity.

I don't think we will ever become fully omniscient, so that just means you either worship God or you worship Data. Both seem a bit silly to me.

You seem to be the only non-troll/reasonable theist in the room, but I have to object to a lot you've been saying.

You seem to equate religious faith with "faith" one uses towards the scientific process. When a religious person says they have faith, they mean they believe a claim without evidence, or believe it despite contradicting evidence. It's not faith when we have numerous instances of the scientific process producing tangible results.

A deist moving the goalpost is different because they are trying to make their conclusion fit the evidence, rather than letting the evidence guide them to the answer. When you have data, you don't need faith in the religious sense ... you have data! It's not about worshiping data, it's about acknowledging that data collection has proven to be the single most reliable method to discovering truth -- not dogma. And you don't have to know everything to realize one idea has basically no good support.... despite hundreds if not thousands of years of people trying to show otherwise.

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps

What does spirituality mean?

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
You seem to be the only non-troll/reasonable theist in the room, but I have to object to a lot you've been saying.

You seem to equate religious faith with "faith" one uses towards the scientific process. When a religious person says they have faith, they mean they believe a claim without evidence, or believe it despite contradicting evidence. It's not faith when we have numerous instances of the scientific process producing tangible results.

A deist moving the goalpost is different because they are trying to make their conclusion fit the evidence, rather than letting the evidence guide them to the answer. When you have data, you don't need faith in the religious sense ... you have data! It's not about worshiping data, it's about acknowledging that data collection has proven to be the single most reliable method to discovering truth -- not dogma. And you don't have to know everything to realize one idea has basically no good support.... despite hundreds if not thousands of years of people trying to show otherwise.

You're putting faith in the idea that data = truth. You can get as meta with it as you want and say that the more macro we get the more the data tends to warp and this becomes useless. Meaning, the data we have now works with our shared interpretation of reality in this universe but our universe could be contained by infinite larger structures where our "truths" break down. You're putting faith in big data when it could really just be an aberration of us being microscopic in nature.

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
You're putting faith in the idea that data = truth. You can get as meta with it as you want and say that the more macro we get the more the data tends to warp and this becomes useless. Meaning, the data we have now works with our shared interpretation of reality in this universe but our universe could be contained by infinite larger structures where our "truths" break down. You're putting faith in big data when it could really just be an aberration of us being microscopic in nature.

It's not faith when I have evidence that said data has lead to truth. Or, in other circumstances, ideas that are most likely to be true.

As far as everything else you said :why:

And maybe I'm misunderstanding your position but ... sure, maybe our universe is one part of many other universes. We could speculate ANYTHING, but...why? We don't at the moment have any reason to accept that as true, we can only work with what we know. Why accept anything as truth that's beyond our current knowledge, including gods, multi-verses, etc? I'm not saying none of these ideas are possible, just that there is no good reason to believe them until the data sufficiently supports them.