....................THE YEAR IS 1999

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Mid 90s was important for the transition and quality of rap.... but they took themselves too seriously.
Late 90s took all the shyt nikkas learned from the mid 90s and made it fun and enjoyable. Sad it took BIG dying for nikkas to stop making those gloomy grimy ass albums. As much as I love some of them and still bump em.

i dont agree with the late '90s being better but good point.:ehh: mid-90s rap lacked a certain good-time energy that other eras had before and afterwards.

im interested to read an opposing post.

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
Was in 8th grade at the time

This was a big year for rap music in the sense that everyone was bringing their CD players to school bumping something different. Went to a mostly white school but everyone was bumping hip hop at the time. I bought a new album every week with my allowance money so I had a variety of everything. I had a older cousin who had all the classic shyt and I was still mostly stuck in the mainstream shyt of that year because what did I know I was 12.

So I had a variety of all hip hop shyt at the time. I was bumping a little bit of everything. That Juvinelle 400 Degrees was HUGE. I think everyone at my middle school had their own copy of that album. DMX Flesh of my Flesh was big(first time white people started to feel comfortable say nikka when singing a song). Funny how I tell young cats at my job how old Lil Wayne is and tell them my first Lil Wayne album was back in 1999. Jay-Z is one of my favorite artist now and I wasn't a stan at the time(Didn't become a stan til after I heard The Blueprint). The Bling Bling era had just hit. shyt was interesting

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
Mid 90s was important for the transition and quality of rap.... but they took themselves too seriously.

Late 90s took all the shyt nikkas learned from the mid 90s and made it fun and enjoyable. Sad it took BIG dying for nikkas to stop making those gloomy grimy ass albums. As much as I love some of them and still bump em.

Great post :salute: I bump pandora all day everyday at work and it'll be most of these songs that pop up and I'll be jamming and then a BIG song like "somebody Gotta Die" pops up and I'm like man I love this song but this ain't the time for this shyt lol

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC

...Hate Me Now vid was sick, but the GOAT in his projects was BLACKEXCELLENCE:blessed:

I remember watching this on repeat...
Two of the best albums that year never got a proper release. The I Am and Murda Muzik bootlegs.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Mainstream shyt was weak this year (Ruff Ryders, Cash Money) - but there were still gems:

Other than what's been posted:

@Wacky D - were these cats getting any play in Philly?

Some Canadian rap group I found online that year - Alchemist on the beat though

Speaking of Alchemist

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
@Wacky D - were these cats getting any play in Philly?

nope.

theyre nobodies in philly. i only know about them thru the internet.

same thing with the high & mighty. theyre nobodies as well. although, when they did the smut-peddlers thing a few years later, people enjoyed that funny "white girls" video that used to be on BET Uncut. nobody knew they were from philly tho, unless you were a rawkus type.

Last edited:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
nope.

theyre nobodies in philly.

i only know about them thru the internet.

same thing with the "high & mighty". there nobodies as well. although, when they changed their name to the smut-peddlers, people enjoyed that funny "white girls" video that used to be on BET Uncut. nobody knew they were from philly tho.:laugh:
I'm not surprised. That album was great tho.

High & Mighty and Smut Peddlers is two different groups (although Mr. Eon is in both).

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I'm not surprised. That album was great tho.

High & Mighty and Smut Peddlers is two different groups (although Mr. Eon is in both).

arent the smut peddlers just the high & mighty with cage?